Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity in my shed...

Options
  • 04-05-2015 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi. I know this question has been asked a few times before but want to get some feedback on my plan. I want to put a couple of lights and sockets in my shed. Can anyone see any issue with the below plan.
    Install a 40amp MCB in my main board, run 3x2.5 SWA (10 meters) to a 2 way consumer unit in the shed with A 40amp RCD. Then have a 10amp MCB for a couple of lights on 1.5 t&e and 20amp MCB for some sockets on 2.5 t&e. Thoughts? and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You should engage a competent person to design, construct, inspect and test this installation. Furthermore, within the 26-Counties you are required by law to use a Registered Electrical Contractor for any Restricted Electrical Works.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

pow230 wrote: »
    Install a 40amp MCB in my main board, run 3x2.5 SWA (10 meters) to a 2 way consumer unit in the shed with A 40amp RCD

I agree with Risteard81

Suggesting that you protect a 2.5 mm sq. cable with a 40A MCB demonstrates that this is beyond your ability.
    You should not be attempting to carry out any work on a distribution board.

Apart from the legalities of this someone could get seriously hurt, or worse. For your own good employ the services of a qualified electrician.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement