Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain this to me?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

What is this stupid rule about having to have turned 23 in Jan to be considered a mature student? I was 23 in March and was told i'd have to wait till next year to even apply.

Sorry, but that is just a joke for someone whos birthday was just 2 months later but can anyone explain to me why that's the rule? I don't get it and feel very pissed off.

I was hoping to start third level this year :mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well there has to be some kind of cut-off point; otherwise there would be no such concept as a mature student. It's just unfortunate that the cut-off point is preventing you from being considered this year.

On the flip side not everyone who applies is even offered a place; so you now have an opportunity to research your choices and put yourself in the best possible position to receive an offer next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

That'd be to late for me.. Means i'd be atleast 27-28 finishing college. Just not an option I want to consider..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Then don't go the mature student route. Its a pretty simple procedure, its just unfortunate you fall the wrong side of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

carzony wrote: »
    That'd be to late for me.. Means i'd be atleast 27-28 finishing college. Just not an option I want to consider..

Trust me when I say that a year is not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things. You're talking about potentially the rest of your working life here; so unless you don't really have a course or career in mind I think it would be a real shame to dismiss that option so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yet you're willing to consider being 26/27 finishing? That year will make no difference at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Sorry, but that is just a joke for someone whos birthday was just 2 months later but can anyone explain to me why that's the rule? I don't get it and feel very pissed off.

Your birthday is actually 3 months + later, as under the rule, you be 23 or over before the 1st of January of the relevant year and prove independent residence from the 31st of October of the previous year too to be considered an Independent Mature Student.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

What is this stupid rule about having to have turned 23 in Jan to be considered a mature student? I was 23 in March and was told i'd have to wait till next year to even apply.

I was hoping to start third level this year :mad::mad:
    I'm going to be either 28 or 29 finishing college depending on whether I get accepted into second year or have to do first year. It's totally worth it for me, I'll have 35+ years of working in something I love (teaching) so it's worth both the time and financial (have to pay full fees until 3rd year) for me. If you have the chance to go and don't take it you would only kick yourself.

As other posters have said there has to be a cut-off point and being 23 on the year of applying is more than fair (I had to wait a year and a bit to apply for the CAO because of this rule). It's not arbitrary or silly, it's the rule. Also, a year out of your working life will make no difference. With a degree you will make more money so the year working won't cover the wage difference between having a degree and not having a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

god help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Lol you have proven yourself to be an immature student

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I started at 28!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

How on earth do you see 27 or 28 as too late to graduate?? Please, enlighten us?

Indeed, in my humble opinion, 25 would be a much more realistic age at which to become a mature student, and your comments go a long way towards reinforcing this opinion.

Stand back from your own frustration for a minute, and think about the people in their forties, fifties and sixties who are studying for degrees, having found themselves unemployed and unemployable without third level qualifications. They'll never see 27 or 28 again, but you can be sure they won't complain about their age on graduation, or that its "too late," but rather they will be thankful to have achieved their goal! Please give these people some thought, it might give you some perspective and help you to realise that the extra year you are being made to wait, by virtue of being born 3 months past the cutoff date, is a golden opportunity for you to research your chosen course and fully prepare yourself for the challenges you will face upon gaining a place at third level next year. Or, perhaps you could travel for a year - it is an exceptional way in which to broaden your horizons and perspectives, and indeed to mature as a human being. In other words, don't be so impatient! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,286 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Seriously?
    They have to draw a line somewhere. If you can't understand why then the rule is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gonegray

Usually a lurker, but this got to me.
    Went back to college on the wrong side of 40 and got a degree in comp. sci. last summer. Now working on a PHd.
    <rant>
    OP - If you think 28 is late to be finishing, then you maybe you are not ready for college. Look around any campus and you will see people of all ages going to and from classes and stressing about exams (esp this time of year). In the grand scheme of things one year makes no difference.
    I also do some work for the disability support service in college and honestly this cribbing about 1 year seems petty when compared to the handicaps some of these people are overcoming to complete a college education, they are some of the most dedicated students in the college and I have great admiration for them.
    </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd use the year to plan ahead and start saving for the coming years.

I can understand your frustration if having decided you want to go back to college as a mature student to find out you have to wait another year.

A year really won't make a difference, believe me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Volunteer - there is an EU scheme where you can be paid an allowance while volunteering and volunteering, especially in an area connected with what you would like to do is a priceless experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

It's too late to apply this year anyway, but the point of a mature student is to go back as a mature student not count down the days until your of age to reply instead of going the route open for 17-23 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's too late to apply this year anyway, but the point of a mature student is to go back as a mature student not count down the days until your of age to reply instead of going the route open for 17-23 year old.

i think we re gonna find a lot of people in that age bracket may not be able to afford college in the coming years. education should be free in this country

Advertisement