Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you know you should have played but just haven't got round to yet.

Options
  • 04-05-2015 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

We all have one or two. ...maybe more.

a recent example of a game that nearly fell into my backlog never to reemerge was Bayonetta 2 for Wii U.

Bought it on release and only played it a few weeks back.

The biggest offender for me though is Mario Galaxy.

I owned a Wii periodically then sold it so never really played any of its decent games so yeah there's more that I haven't played too but Mario Galaxy is a stand out.

I have it now sitting on my shelf and will play it on Wii U soon.

Over to you..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have so many games sitting unplayed and unfinished my entire collection might as well be called The Backlog!
    But big regrets include Skyrim and not finishing a single Souls game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have so many games sitting unplayed and unfinished my entire collection might as well be called The Backlog!
    But big regrets include Skyrim and not finishing a single Souls game :(

I'm yet to even attempt a souls game. I feel like I need a day without the kids etc to be able to commit to what looks like a day or misery and brilliance.

I'll probably pick up Bloodbourne when my exams are done to justify my PS4 purchase.

I see they've redone Souls 2 as well for PS4 so will probably add it to the backlog at some point. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Last Of Us.

I know I should, just too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Where to even start. My back catalogue is ridiculous. I have Xbox 360 games that I bought 6 or 7 years ago that are still in their wrappers. Add to that the 3ds, vita and ps4 games, I'll never play them all. Off the top of my head the ones that I really should sit down and play;

Zelda ocarina of time 3ds
    Zelda phantom hourglass
    Mass effect 3
    New super Mario bros 1
    Final fantasy x and x2 (although I have begun x on vita)
    The witcher 2
    Bioshock infinite
    Fallout 3
    Dead space 3
    Far cry 3
    Halo 4
    Assassins creed black flag
    The last of us

Damn it .. The last of us.

I never owned a PS3 so never played it but now I've no excuse with the PS4 and yeah haven't even bought it never mind played it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dragons Dogma, played an hour or so of it, loved it but haven't gone back for some reason.

Dragons Crown, one of the only games I pre-ordered in the last decade, played a few hours and then didn't go back.

On Wii/WiiU....Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, Pandoras Tower, Okami, ZombieU, Monster Hunter 3, Bayonetta 1+2.........Metroid: Other M :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I never owned a PS3 so never played it but now I've no excuse with the PS4 and yeah haven't even bought it never mind played it.

http://www.instantgamecodes.com/buy/The-Last-Of-Us-Remastered-PS4-Download-Code

No excuse :)
    Just set up a US account if you don't have one, works out just over a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 garimakaushikk

there are many that I haven't played yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its such a short game there's no excuse!
    A weekend will see you to the end in no time, there aren't all that many tough bits too it, but it well worth playing, of all the games mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Haven't played any of the Batman or Unchartered games from the last gen. I know people hate remasters but I'm really hoping for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Last of Us,which ive owned for 6 months but have only played the MP. This is mostly Diablo 3 and GTA V's fault!!

Dishonoured

Bio Shock Infinite

Ive plenty of other games in the backlog but these are the ones that i feel im missing out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Mass Effect 1 and 3
    The Last of Us
    LoZ Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess
    Okami
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series
    BioShock Series, played about half of the first game on PS3
    Morrowind
    Fallout New Vegas
    Dragon Age Origins
    Just Cause 2
    Star Wars KoTOR and Jedi Academy

Whoever mentioned Dead Space 3, just read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, instead of hating yourself for playing that filth for the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Legend of Zelda : Link To The Past
    Star Wars KOTOR
    Oblivion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've never finished Half Life or Half Life 2. I've started both many times over the years, but never actually finished either.

http://www.instantgamecodes.com/buy/The-Last-Of-Us-Remastered-PS4-Download-Code

No excuse :)
    Just set up a US account if you don't have one, works out just over a tenner.

Not rich but money definitely not the reason for me not playing it.

Purely due to being time poor these days.

Someone mentioned Dishonored earlier.

I'm currently an hour or so into it and so far I'm really liking it.

Nice graphics, characters and gameplay seems tight so far.

I'm not normally into stealthy games but this one has grabbed my attention.

Was a freebie from games with gold on 360 too which was nice

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Some of my gaming shames.

I have only played one Metroid game (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption) and that was probably for only 10 minutes.

The only Devil May Cry game I have played is 4, for an hour or so, thought it was so so.
    I did quite like DmC: Devil May Cry but I didn't enjoy Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising: Revegeance :pac:.

I did not like the original 2D Mario games (although I could play Super Mario World), but I liked Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy.

I had a boxed version of the original System Shock, that I never played and threw out!....despite 3 attempts I just can't get in System Shock 2.

Never played any of the Thief series games for more than 15 minutes despite owning all 4!

Amnesia: The Dark Decent is awesome, but I must be a too much of a wuss cause I can never play it for very long.

I stopped playing The Last of Us, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition and Red Dead Redemption after about 2-3 hours of play despite enjoying them and I have no idea why I haven't gone back to them.

The only Final Fantasy game I played was 7. I never got off the first disc, ran into an enemy that was way too powerful for me to beat and I just gave up. I still have Retrogamers copy of Final Fantasy X that I have never played :rolleyes:.

I could never get through Knights of the Old Republic despite beating the second one first. I beat the second game and enjoyed the story but I had no clue how I did so as I had no clue (and still don't) how DnD rules work!

Never got into isometric cRPG, I have lots of classics on GOG like, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale but not played any of them :confused:

Like wise jRPG's, but I do like modern third person RPG's like Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect, having said that despite at least 2 attempts I can't get into Morrowind.

Outside of Civilization which I have a love/hate relationship 4X strategy games do not appeal me. Galactic Civilizations 2: Ultimate will probably never be played despite me owning 2 copies of it :confused:

Hey Just Cause 2 and all of its DLC sitting in my steam account, I must play you one day!

Never played any Diablo games.

Can not get into the original StarCraft games but I do like the sequel trilogy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've two big ones that come to mind straight away.

Super Metroid and any Castlevania game. I should be able to sort out the latter soon but I don't have a nintendo device at the moment to tackle Super Metroid. Someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Underground

Silent Hill 2.

*runs away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I have a massive backlog. But Dark Souls is probably the one that sticks out most for me. I think knowing it's a crazy difficult game puts me off as i can see myself getting frustrated and moving onto something else in my backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Silent Hill 2.

*runs away*

Oh that's another one. Right now I'm rectifying Resident Evil after purchasing the HD version. Controls have come a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Zelda games. Any of them. And having a SNES back in the day you'd imagine i would have. Then PS came along, and that was the end of Nintendo for me until the Wii. Really should pick up the Wii games.

Any Final Fantasy. I really do want to play them, but the fighting system is a hate of mine! I heard the newest one is more hack 'n' slash, so might give that a go, but if there's anything like the old combat system, i'm out!

The original Deus Ex. Have it, but haven't played it.

Any Diablo, Gothic or similar games (the kinda-top down games).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

All of Quake.

More recently, Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I tried Dark Souls on PC and the mouse/keyboard controls were so outrageously bad I gave up after five minutes and never went back :/

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I have The Evil Within and the Resident Evil remake half finished just sitting there. Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeros is one I downloaded but have never played. Sim City 4 is another which I have never got around to actually playing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Its such a short game there's no excuse!
    A weekend will see you to the end in no time, there aren't all that many tough bits too it, but it well worth playing, of all the games mentioned.

It's hardly that short… it's about 15-20 hours long. If you have kids, you'll rarely have the luxury of having 15 hours to yourself at the weekend.

I've Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and I want to get stuck into them but the time commitment is a killer for me. Also, I'm starting into the Mass Effect Trilogy but have only played 2-3 hours so far. Don't know where I'll find the other 80 or so needed to complete the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's hardly that short… it's about 15-20 hours long. If you have kids, you'll rarely have the luxury of having 15 hours to yourself at the weekend.

I've Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and I want to get stuck into them but the time commitment is a killer for me. Also, I'm starting into the Mass Effect Trilogy but have only played 2-3 hours so far. Don't know where I'll find the other 80 or so needed to complete the whole thing.

You'll probably find it closer to 120 hrs imo.

I'm finally playing through the 3rd one, bought on a whim from an xtravision bargain bin, just never got around to it even though I was a big fan of the 2 previous ones. I'm fairly tearing through it as fast as i can, and I'm already up to 28 hrs with no apparent end in sight just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You'll probably find it closer to 120 hrs imo.

I'm finally playing through the 3rd one, bought on a whim from an xtravision bargain bin, just never got around to it even though I was a big fan of the 2 previous ones. I'm fairly tearing through it as fast as i can, and I'm already up to 28 hrs with no apparent end in sight just yet.

Anytime I go to load Mass Effect, I get tempted by something shorter that will make me feel like I've accomplished something in the hour or two I get to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Probably loads of retro stuff but considering I can't keep up with modern fare. I'll just stick to a few from the last couple of years. Last of Us - have it for PS3 for over a year but havent got into it. Now I have a nagging feeling about not bothering til I get a PS4 to get the new version. Far Cry 4. None of the Souls games, just thought they werent for me but have recently been listening to a podcast by a guy who never thought he could hack one of those games and is now a believer. So I really have to try them out sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm pretty sure that Boards has a max character count per post thats stopping me compiling my list :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

At the moment it has to be Sunset Overdrive. Bought in November and have played a total of 15 minutes. I was the same with Shadow of Mordor but got throygh that during my break from destiny.

Advertisement