Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old graveyard in Ballintemple

Options
  • 04-05-2015 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

recently i noticed there is a new plaque affixed to the outside wall of above graveyard which includes the word "private". Wondering who has the legal jurisdence/ownership of this property which enabled them to say it was private property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

My understanding is that the land has been privately owned for some time. They have allowed visitors but unfortunately there's been a fair bit of damage caused partly by wear and tear from sightseers but also some malicious.

As a result it's been closed for general access.

Some people still have burial rights there & they are still allowing visits from relatives etc, just not from the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Was it Andip, I though it was still in limbo as such who owned it. I meet this very interesting man on a walk and he was telling me how the council at one stage wanted to fix the part where it kinda jutted out onto the road but they could not as they could not find the owners.

I does look a lot tidier recently, so maybe it is good that someone took it over, shame to see the vandals going in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Milly33 wrote: »
    Was it Andip, I though it was still in limbo as such who owned it. I meet this very interesting man on a walk and he was telling me how the council at one stage wanted to fix the part where it kinda jutted out onto the road but they could not as they could not find the owners.

I does look a lot tidier recently, so maybe it is good that someone took it over, shame to see the vandals going in there...

Yep, I understand the title to the land has now been agreed so I'm guessing that the private sign is the work of whoever owns it. Can't really blame them for limiting access as the earliest recorded burial there dates to 1690 so it woud be a shame to see it get damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Im going to have to do some looking up. Jes no it is a great thing to see if being taken over, as you say it would be shame for it to be left behind. It was open on Sunday so maybe they just lock it up at night which is no bad thing

Advertisement