Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chillies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What type of chilli plant is it? Sounds mire like a tomatoe plant to me.

It's a Madagascan chilli, it has another name also but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

My Cayenne plenty of buds appearing now and the smaller one is a sweet pepper which should probably be potted on but will keep it small just to get a few peppers off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I repotted all mine yesterday. Have about twelve different varieties and a few of each type. Some weren't very strong looking but it's hard to bin them so I just repot them and see how they go.

I have two jigsaw plants that are doing well, don't know if I'll be brave enough to have a taste when the time comes but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I repotted all mine yesterday. Have about twelve different varieties and a few of each type. Some weren't very strong looking but it's hard to bin them so I just repot them and see how they go.

I have two jigsaw plants that are doing well, don't know if I'll be brave enough to have a taste when the time comes but you never know.

Just looked up Jigsaws! :eek: What will you do with them?

Not sure what variety my pair are but the flowers are very 'whimsy'. They're producing chillis no problem but the flowers are off-white and flimsy. Is that a trait of a particular variety or am I doing something wrong?

Just looked up Jigsaws! :eek: What will you do with them?

Not sure what variety my pair are but the flowers are very 'whimsy'. They're producing chillis no problem but the flowers are off-white and flimsy. Is that a trait of a particular variety or am I doing something wrong?

Not sure what I'll do with them. I suppose I'll have to have a little nibble to see how hot they are. With what's left I'll more than likely dry them out and make chilli powder.

If yours are producing fruit I wouldn't worry too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I think you are right Fred, the first two shoots have just popped up and they are in a propogator in the greenhouse, could be a long hopeful summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

So how is everybodies chili plants doing? Mine have been thriving since I repotted them in larger pots, easily doubled in height (about 8" high) and look very full and strong. No sign of any flowering yet but it cant be far away surely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

gucci wrote: »
    So how is everybodies chili plants doing? Mine have been thriving since I repotted them in larger pots, easily doubled in height (about 8" high) and look very full and strong. No sign of any flowering yet but it cant be far away surely!!

I have 3 on the go in my kitchen (2 were inside from the beginning, the smaller of the 3 was out in the greenhouse at the beginning, hence it is a bit smaller), and while they are both producing flowers, I've just the 1 chilli showing, which in fairness to it, it's racing along!, it's about 3-4 cm's now.

the only issue is some of the leaves on one side of one of the plant have curled up, I thought it was from either too much or too little water, but not really too sure!, the rest of the plant seems healthy (as it's the same plant with the chilli growing strong)

Anyone any ideas?

19467849921_6958fe46b6_c.jpg

19457226922_14d0aea999_c.jpg

19276009980_7b607e84ac_c.jpg

19467848821_919af18bd7_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭nokiatom

don't know why your plant leaves are wilting AndyBoBandy but ive heard of putting a teaspoon of Epsom salt into a gallon of water and then water them with some of that.
    my chillie plants are about 8 or 9 inches high now. I have two types Jalapeno and Cayenne. the Cayenne are side shooting like crazy. just wondering should they be topped at some stage. the Jalapeno have no side shoots yet.

My chilli plants were wilting last week, wasn't sure why as they'd been watered. They resuscitated in the evening so it could have been the heat of the sun. No sun today though.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Mine are doing good early ones are about 70cm high and late ones are about 30cm all with flowers and some green chilli. Sweet pepper are forming fruit now too.

Most of mine are doing great but one or two aren't doing too good. I've stopped picking off the flowers as we are now well into July and want to see some fruit starting to emerge.

One or two are doing exceptionally well and I'm expecting a big crop from them (hopefully)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Myself and youngest daughter planted ours mid May, and just gone into flower yesterday. Yay! Coriander doing ok too, so fresh green curry in August is on the cards with maybe a red one in Sept.

354829.JPG

mine are starting to come on even though I only planted the seeds in may

Folks, I have chillies on my plant but none of them have turned red as they have done previously. They have been there for the guts of 4 weeks or more and were probably helped along with th hot weather. Have they not ripened because the weather is cooler?

Folks, I have chillies on my plant but none of them have turned red as they have done previously. They have been there for the guts of 4 weeks or more and were probably helped along with th hot weather. Have they not ripened because the weather is cooler?

Just wait I reckon. They'll go darker first then redden in a couple of days.

interesting video I came across about growing chillies in pots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URPPQi903ZY

nokiatom wrote: »
    interesting video I came across about growing chillies in pots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URPPQi903ZY

Wow! How healthy do those chilli plants look? I thought mine were doing really well until I saw those! :rolleyes:

I reckon their temperatures are higher than ours but the size of the pot obviously makes a hugh difference

Mine aren't doing too bad but growth has definitely slowed down as the weather is so bad.

• Advertisement

Just wait I reckon. They'll go darker first then redden in a couple of days.

Yep starting to redden now

Yep starting to redden now

:)

my cayenne chillies are flowering at last. just wondering should I pinch out the top of the plants as its growing like crazy now

Have plenty of fruit on mine now but a few of them are only starting to flower and the season is coming to a close pretty fast so it will be a close call if they can produce fruit.

Have plenty of fruit on mine now but a few of them are only starting to flower and the season is coming to a close pretty fast so it will be a close call if they can produce fruit.

Mine were producing fruit into November last year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

My Cayenne has produced dozens of chillies over the last two months after nearly dying a few times earlier in the year. First plant I grew from seed so I'm like a proud parent. Others not doing as well but hopefully will get a few off each before the season ends. Going to try and keep them to next year by cutting them back and putting in smaller pots. Has anyone done this before? Next year I'll go with bigger pots as soon as they start to grow. Re-potting definitely seems to help. Big problem with greenfly though. Bought a couple of small chilli plants in 4 inch pots from B&Q a month or so back and all my plants on the same windowsill are infested ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Going to try and keep them to next year by cutting them back and putting in smaller pots. Has anyone done this before?

Ya i have been doing it for a few years now. you really make a difference when spring starts. some types are more suited then others.
    Cut right back and plant in new soil/compost not too rich. and do a few plants as you WILL lose some so build in reducnece.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Just wondering if anyone else's plants produce chillies all year round?
    The habanero & scotch bonnet plants slow right down in the winter but the cayennes just seem to continually flower & produce chillies. Plants are about 4 years old now.

I once left a plant in the green house over the winter, one of the bad winters a few years ago. I thought it was well dead but when spring came it sprung into life and had a serious amount of fruit from it that year.

• Advertisement

Mine were producing fruit into November last year.....

Nice one. Some of mine will keep going, like the bushy type of plants with small fruit then others like habenero's don't seem to like the cooler darker days.

Advertisement