Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chillies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

First flowers opened yesterday on the over wintered cayenne. Gave it a little tickle to help pollinate. It's probably got over 100 buds so things are looking optimistic. Over wintered jalapeno's aren't far off flowering either. All the growths from seed this year are a good bit further behind but are fairly healthy so middle/end of next month is when I expect some flowering. Will stick up a photo later if I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

goose06 wrote: »
    Just don't water them too much let them dry out a bit and let the leaves wilt a small bit to encourage the plant to produce flowers by thinking it's dieing.

Over watering is definitely a problem for chillies. And olives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Have my first chilli, hopefully many more to come :)

B&Q were selling off a lot of chilli plants at Liffey Valley. 2 x Hot Banana, 2 x Jalepeno, 2 x Thai Hot Dragon for €2.
    Also some Habenero and others for 50c. None of them were that big, but some were flowering so might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

My reapers are starting to ripen.. The big fella isnt though, wonder should i take them in out of the greenhouse for a couple of nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just a couple of flowers, but loads of buds appearing. Going away for a couple of weeks, left the housesitter instructions in self-progagating.

Bastard plants are making my nerves a wreck! :mad:

• Advertisement

The reapers look great for this early in the season. Guess a green house really gives you a head start. Did you grow from seed this year or are they ones you overwintered from last year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mine were going great until yesterday, when the Aldi Green house they were in got blown over. Half the plants wrecked, so did a mini salvage operation last night and will be doing some repotting and fitting a guy rope tonight after work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

The reapers look great for this early in the season. Guess a green house really gives you a head start. Did you grow from seed this year or are they ones you overwintered from last year?

I planted them from seeds i bought before xmas last year. October i think. Kep them in the house until that Lidl Greenhouse came up and put them outside. I was worried about the temp drop at night but it seems to be ok. I'm wondering if i should take em in and put them on the window cill at night for a bit.

The plants are about 2 feet high

Temperatures are fine now to be left out overnight and a bit of fresh air does them the world of good. I have one of those plastic green houses and took all of them out of it a few weeks ago. Although the weather the last few days was dismal they are still flying along.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Update so far is I now have five plants on the window ledge. The best of the lot is the cherry bomb which has around 15 chilli's and probably will produce around 15 more. The Hungarian Hotwax has around 4 and the Ring of Fire 3 at the moment. The Bhut Jolokia and Orange Habanero are about to start flowering. The patrons and cherry bombs I have in the polytunnel in the allotment are doing OK, the insects have enjoyed themselves snacking on them but I am hoping they will be blossoming in the next week or so. I'll start with the plants a lot earlier next time but it's been a great learning experience growing from seed this year.

• Advertisement

Can't believe some of you have chillies already. I planted seeds the 3rd week of Feb and have hand none of the plants flower yet. They are all fairly stringy and some are no more than a few inches high.
    The overwinters are doing great though. Cayenne and Jalepeno's have flowered and should start with the chillies now.

Definitely quantity over quality this year, but am learning a lot. There's another few months left so am confident I'll be getting chillies up until November.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Chillies on all the Habanero and Jalapeno plants now with some getting to about 2.5-3" so far. All the plants still flowering away. My prairie fire plant bit the dust though after being attacked by greenfly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Can't believe some of you have chillies already. I planted seeds the 3rd week of Feb and have hand none of the plants flower yet. They are all fairly stringy and some are no more than a few inches high.
    The overwinters are doing great though. Cayenne and Jalepeno's have flowered and should start with the chillies now.

Definitely quantity over quality this year, but am learning a lot. There's another few months left so am confident I'll be getting chillies up until November.

wow, you must LOVE chilli!.
    Yep I have 4 plants squashed into a sort trough on the window sill.
    2 of them have lovely sixe chillis, but they are still pale yellow\green and need to ripen.
    Im amazed at how little soil they have and yet still do well!

Here are a couple of pics of the chilli's. The first is the Hungarian Hot Wax and the second is the cherry bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

mcgovern wrote: »
    Have my first chilli, hopefully many more to come :)

B&Q were selling off a lot of chilli plants at Liffey Valley. 2 x Hot Banana, 2 x Jalepeno, 2 x Thai Hot Dragon for €2.
    Also some Habenero and others for 50c. None of them were that big, but some were flowering so might be worth a punt.

Ah ffs, bought some of these months ago and they are in the greenhouse, still no sign of any flowers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

smacl wrote: »
    Mine were going great until yesterday, when the Aldi Green house they were in got blown over. Half the plants wrecked, so did a mini salvage operation last night and will be doing some repotting and fitting a guy rope tonight after work. :(

Had this a bit in my garden last year with my argos greenhouse http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7201998.htm , ended up getting coat hooks from DIY and fixing them to cobblelock with rawlplugs, thing didn't budge after that.

If you don't have cobble lock / concrete you could put a few into a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Got my first flower today with a few more looking like they will bloom soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Any ideas of what could be causing this? The photo isn't great but basically on side of the plant the leaves are all withering and dying. Other side seems fine, it shouldn't have been sprayed with anything as it's indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

mcgovern wrote: »
    Any ideas of what could be causing this? The photo isn't great but basically on side of the plant the leaves are all withering and dying. Other side seems fine, it shouldn't have been sprayed with anything as it's indoors.

It looks like some of mine do when I forget to open the greenhouse door and window early enough on a hot morning.

Its been roasted!

Give it plenty of water from the bottom and air and it should recover ok

Shemale wrote: »
    Ah ffs, bought some of these months ago and they are in the greenhouse, still no sign of any flowers :mad:

put them outside for a few days so the wind and insects can get at them.
    Although they are self pollinating, this has helped with mine as the male part still needs to touch the female part :D
    Or give them a light shake!

perhaps you are over feeding\watering them? Im pretty mean to mine as I found by denying them copious amounts of waters makes them flower

• Advertisement

I see Tesco are sellng the world's hottest chilli this week
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/world-s-hottest-chilli-pepper-goes-on-sale-in-ireland-1.2735207

Would it just be a matter of taking the seeds, drying them out and then trying to grow them next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

I see Tesco are sellng the world's hottest chilli this week
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/world-s-hottest-chilli-pepper-goes-on-sale-in-ireland-1.2735207

Would it just be a matter of taking the seeds, drying them out and then trying to grow them next year?

YES AND NO

Yes if the variety were open pollinated, a lot of the hot chilli plants are NOT they are F1, crossed with other species of chillis to give you convenience and flavor.
    So if you did take the seeds and dry them out and plant them next year you most likely will get a mix of a lot of different plants as they would not be stable and a waste of your time..

Your right thought to save chilli seeds all you need to do is PUT GLOVES ON and take out the seeds and dry them out. and they are ready for next year.
    take the seeds from as many plants as possible rather then all the seeds from one plant.

But you need to start right. buy a variety of seed that is heirloom or open pollinated.
    best sites if have found for open pollinated are real seed in the UK and maybe brown envelope seed here in Ireland.

a few of mine are getting there now, amazing how ive abused them,, not even soil covering all the roots and packed into a tiny trough

IMG_20160728_081732.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've just cooked and eaten a chillli that was germinated from the seeds of an ordinary greengrocer's chillli.
    I do this every spring; this year only one grew.
    They are martyrs to greenfly and whitefly, mine get shrivelled and rusty looking, awful, really: but they still fruit.
    However they do best if you interfere in their sex-lives with a little brush, the kind that comes in a watercolour paintbox.
    When a flower appears and is just opened, place the brush very gently onto the centre (the little yellow stamens) and wiggle slightly.
    (This counts as Big Bang for a chilli)
    I keep them on the kitchen windowsill where I can keep my eye on them, and water etc: also, not too cold - they don't like cold. But they always catch whitefly anyway.
    An odd thing is, that if you grow them this way from kitchen seeds, the fruits are quite unpredictable: a plant that we had last year grew three little red fruits but one was sweet, one was very hot, and the third had a bit of both at different ends!

PS I use the same brush to wash them down with soapy water when the flies get too much for them.

Chilli bushes are taking over my conservatory so looking for a good home(s) for two large (about 1metre tall) 'long slim cayenne' plants. Dozens of flowers and fruits on each.

You'll need to be to collect them from Dublin 3.

PM me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

My plants are quire small this year with few flowers, I think the colder weather has stunted growth a bit this year

Overwintered Cayenne has probably 150 chilies on it and the Jalapeno has a about a dozen.
    All the newly planted this year are finally starting to flower and have a few chilies sprouting on most. Tabasco plants are a big disappointment though. Have thee and none bigger than 8 inches. Bushy but no sign of flowers. Anyone have success with Tabasco before?

Back yesterday after two weeks away in France. All the plants looked knackered but after a watering all bar the Hungarian Hot Wax are back to life. The ghost chilli has 6 fruits and the cherry bombs fruit are turning red. The polytunnel chilli's are also bearing fruit as well, so I should have some padrons as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 David358

nokiatom wrote: »
    has anyone grown chillies successful here ? I have set some seeds but only a few have germinated. any advise, thanks

I grow chillies every year but in a glasshouse in a raised bed. Sow in March and dip out and put in small pots when about two inches. Then plant when about a foot. Chillies need alot of heat. Cayenne are the easiest chillies to grow in Ireland

• Advertisement

Ok tasted the first of my cherry bombs today. Put it in a pasta dish and it was lovely. A nice sustained heat from them (I'd call it mild but the missus said it was HOT!). Also cooked up some of the Padrons over a week ago on a barbecue and they were lovely, a bit hotter than I was expecting as they are normally mild.

Now waiting for the Ghost Chilli's to turn red :)

Advertisement