Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chillies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Fingers crossed, I'll be picking my first Cayennes tomorrow. Chocolate Habenero will be later this week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Not even a hint of colour on any of my chillies. Getting impatient now.

For anyone looking forward to a bumper crop there was a recipe in The Journal at the weekend for pickled chillis. It's at the end of the article.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/grow-it-yourself-chilli-peppers-2948899-Aug2016/

One question I have is, if the chillis are going in whole (with the caps on) how is the inside/seeds getting pickled?

One question I have is, if the chillis are going in whole (with the caps on) how is the inside/seeds getting pickled?

A bit more research tells you to pierce each chilli 5 or 6 times with a pin and to check liquid levels after a week......

Starting to get a bit cold at night now. Wouldn't say there is more than a few weeks left outside for the plants.
    So lots of red and green Cayenne and Jalapenos. Lots of Bhut Jalokia and Ring of Fire.
    Complete failure on the Trinidad Scorpions, Tabasco, Habanero and Serano. Not a single pepper on each or they failed to sprout.
    Will probably do chili oil with the Bhut Jalokia, keep the Jalapenos and Ring of Fire on the plant to use fresh and freeze the cayenne for cooking.
    Will leave a few in the plastic green house as they are still flowering, move a few indoors until the chillies are gone and cut back the rest and move to the shed. Hopefully enough will survive to give me a good crop again next year.
    A lot of them seemed very late to flower this year but they should have a big head start next year. As it is I reckon I should have enough chillies to do most of the way through to next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Starting to get a bit cold at night now. Wouldn't say there is more than a few weeks left outside for the plants.
    So lots of red and green Cayenne and Jalapenos. Lots of Bhut Jalokia and Ring of Fire.
    Complete failure on the Trinidad Scorpions, Tabasco, Habanero and Serano. Not a single pepper on each or they failed to sprout.
    Will probably do chili oil with the Bhut Jalokia, keep the Jalapenos and Ring of Fire on the plant to use fresh and freeze the cayenne for cooking.
    Will leave a few in the plastic green house as they are still flowering, move a few indoors until the chillies are gone and cut back the rest and move to the shed. Hopefully enough will survive to give me a good crop again next year.
    A lot of them seemed very late to flower this year but they should have a big head start next year. As it is I reckon I should have enough chillies to do most of the way through to next year.

Well done! I had a good year as well. Next year I will do peppers as well I think

Just the one Cayenne and Habanero left. Got about 10 Chillis from the Habanero, dozens from the Cayenne, it's still flowering and producing fruit.
    That's me finished with growing full grown chilli plants I'm afraid. We just haven't got the space for them.
    If anyone wants them to overwinter and go again next year, just let me know.

400011C3-95DA-4500-8D34-BE3F9860DD1C_zps2vxedmrt.jpg

That looks great. Was it grown from seed this year or a second year plant?

That looks great. Was it grown from seed this year or a second year plant?

Seed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I planted seed (inside) in the early summer, and thought i would get fruit this year! But they are still small. Does chilli grow for a couple of years? or fruit and die?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

muckety wrote: »
    I planted seed (inside) in the early summer, and thought i would get fruit this year! But they are still small. Does chilli grow for a couple of years? or fruit and die?

You can try to overwinter it..some survive, some die...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Started harvesting the Ghost Chilli's today and made my first batch of Ghost Chilli Jam. It turned out milder than I expected but the missus was giving out about the heat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

When do you guys usually plant your Chilli seeds? The last few years I've been leaving it too late I think.

Now if you have somwhere to keep them indoors until around May or if you are lucky enough to have growlights..
    I have about 32 varieties sown at this stage:o

Unfortunately not enough room for pots indoors so will have to wait until mid February to seed. Will be end of April before they are big enough for pots and by then it should be warm enough to put them outside.
    They were definitely late blooming due to the late planting but I was picking chillis into late November.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

nokiatom wrote: »
    has anyone grown chillies successful here ? I have set some seeds but only a few have germinated. any advise, thanks

Yes, I just took the seeds from store bought chillis, pushed them into a pot and out them on the window in the conservatory ,did the same with peppers and got great plsnts and crops

Yes, grew a few dozen plants from seed last year with mixed success.
    Heat and moderate water is the key to getting them started.
    Here's a few tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_a8Pi7hn2g&t=310s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Unfortunately not enough room for pots indoors so will have to wait until mid February to seed. Will be end of April before they are big enough for pots and by then it should be warm enough to put them outside.
    They were definitely late blooming due to the late planting but I was picking chillis into late November.

surely you can start 1 or 2 on a window sill? I only grew 6 last year but they provided plenty of chillies despite not being very big, no more than a foot high and 3 squashed into a trough less than a foot long. I think i posted a pic at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭nokiatom

i wouldn't be too worried about late planting. most years I'm picking the last chillies in late November. This year I wanted to try and keep a plant alive over the winter so I left the chillies on as long as possible. I picked them on Dec 16th. the plant still looks ok but will it survive another few months? I didn't prune it as when I done that last year all the plants died quickly. this plant is indoors on the landing next to a south facing window. lets wait and see. th photo is of the chillies picked in Dec,

I brought about 6 plant indoors. The rest are either dead in the shed or cut back and may or may not survive in a plastic greenhouse. I was picking fresh Jalapeno's on Christmas week but all are fruit free now to give them a few months break.
    Overwintering plants really adds to your crop. I probably had 200 Cayennes off one second year plant alone. Many won't make it though the winter but the ones that do will be much more fruitful next summer. I had 30+ plants last summer in the garden varying from great success to miserable failure. That's the fun. I'll start again in a few weeks and try some new varieties. Goal this year is some Tabasco as I didn't get a single chilli from 3 plants last year.
    In the mean time i have three jars of chilli oil and a freezer full of chillies that I use in cooking most nights. As hobbies go its fairly tame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Slightly off topic but I put tomato seeds into compost on the window sill last Sunday and they have shoots with the first two leaves.

I seeded Jalapeno seeds the same day but nothing yet, that said I dunno if the seeds are any use as I dried whole Jalapenos and used the seeds from one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Last time I sowed jalapeno it took about 15 days to germinate
    Shemale wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I put tomato seeds into compost on the window sill last Sunday and they have shoots with the first two leaves.

I seeded Jalapeno seeds the same day but nothing yet, that said I dunno if the seeds are any use as I dried whole Jalapenos and used the seeds from one of them.

Seeding started last night. Some chillies I brought home from a holiday in Vietnam and Laos plus some orange and red Habs.
    Going to leave them in the propagator as long as possible this year. Last year I think I took them out too soon to plant more seeds so I got a poor return on the seedlings. Basically going to leave them in the propagator until they don't fit any more before potting.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I'll start seeding today. I get best sprouting results using a paper towel and a bag method.
    Growing chillies can be challenging in this country as you never know when the summer actually going to start. But when a year is good you can get multiple harvests. I'm attaching some pictures of mine chillies that I had.

goose06 wrote: »
    Last time I sowed jalapeno it took about 15 days to germinate

Shoots are out now :)

Going to build a coldframe for the attic to put them in and the start of May they will all go into the green house.

Some of my many "babies" growing away at the moment

Need to do a final count and take some more out of my lighted propagator.
    Will post a list of what I am growing when I get a chance but will have over 35 varieties I hope:eek:

Wow. Nice one. You a good way along when most of us are just thinking about planting seeds. Wish I had the room to set up something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭nokiatom

Some of my many "babies" growing away at the moment

Need to do a final count and take some more out of my lighted propagator.
    Will post a list of what I am growing when I get a chance but will have over 35 varieties I hope:eek:

Are you using heat lights or UV lights?

• Advertisement

Shemale wrote: »
    Are you using heat lights or UV lights?

They are for lighting but do give off heat also

Advertisement