Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on holiday.......help.

Options
  • 04-05-2015 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi, going away for one week tomorrow can anyone advise what to do with the following.I know we may see enough rain to keep things ticking over but any additional tips to ensure they survive the week without me.
    Tomato in growbags in small greenhouse.
    Peas, radish,spinach,lettuce,carrots,spring onion, some in ground some in pots.
    Flowers in hanging baskets.
    Sunflowers could I plant them out today?Currently in pots.

Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

You could put everything in pots/growbags/hanging baskets outside into a shady location but where they'd still get rain if any fell.
    You'd have to hope for no frosts though.
    If you had a nice neighbour who could water them even once that would help!
    If the tomatoes are strung up and not free standing that won't be possible for them though.
    I'd plant the sunflowers and give them a good watering in.
    Things already in the ground should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I set up an automatic watering device for herself a few years ago when we went on holiday for a fortnight. With a cheap air pump from the aquarium corner of a gardening suppliers, a plug-in timer, a large 5 Litre water bottle and some lengths of tubing, it was very easy to rig up and everything survived for the 2 weeks we were gone, in the 30+ heat that was had while we were away.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

place the potted plants onto a soaked towel in the greenhouse. mulch the pots to reduce transpiration, you could shade out the greenhouse, leave some vents open in roof but watch out for wind. leave a plastic bottle on its side with a pierced hole in the lid, basically imitating drip irrigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

If going the outdoor route, put in a defence against slugs and snails.

Advertisement