Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

who to get to look at water coming in to house

• 04-05-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

About 15 years ago an extension was put on our house, this was before we moved in. We got a new kitchen in about 6 years ago which included new pasterboard and plastering. Over the last 3 years, along the joint of the extension which is at a right angle on the outside, Ive noticed the plaster cracking internally right on the inside of where the extension is.

the heavy rain over the weekend has seen damp getting in to the plasterboard where that crack is, wall paper quite damp and peeling so Im fearing at best, maybe a leaky gutter or some of the cement used on the outside was sealed completely perfectly, at worst, maybe something wrong with foundation and extension has a bigger problem.

Thing is, who do I get to look at it to tell me? An architect? builder? surveyor?

Is that covered on insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

About 15 years ago an extension was put on our house, this was before we moved in. We got a new kitchen in about 6 years ago which included new pasterboard and plastering. Over the last 3 years, along the joint of the extension which is at a right angle on the outside, Ive noticed the plaster cracking internally right on the inside of where the extension is.

the heavy rain over the weekend has seen damp getting in to the plasterboard where that crack is, wall paper quite damp and peeling so Im fearing at best, maybe a leaky gutter or some of the cement used on the outside was sealed completely perfectly, at worst, maybe something wrong with foundation and extension has a bigger problem.

Thing is, who do I get to look at it to tell me? An architect? builder? surveyor?

Is that covered on insurance?

I had this issue. Turned out to be porous lead in the roof valleys. A tin of compound especially for the problem, available from the local hardware, sorted it out. Check that if you can. Use a hose on a dry day to see if you can recreate the leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

sparksfly wrote: »
    I had this issue. Turned out to be porous lead in the roof valleys. A tin of compound especially for the problem, available from the local hardware, sorted it out. Check that if you can. Use a hose on a dry day to see if you can recreate the leak.

thanks for that, possable alright, its a 2 story extension in which case Im thinking if it was the gutter alley on the roof I might have hoped to see a leak in the upstairs room as well which I dont but my building knowledge stretches to postage stamp proportions so what I do I know.

There are waste pipes right on the L on the outside so difficult to see in to see if theres a gap/crack anywhere, much pain for a DIY job. much rather just get a fella in to do it and get it done right.

this is the outside, right of the pipes are original house, left is the extension. the red square matches the damp spot on the inside. note the gutter looks as though it has been overflowing but I dont see this when its raining, the run off is not in shot.

outside.jpg

Inside, red square matches to outside red square, note the lower damp spots. they are right on the angle of the extension where new meets old behind the pipework. I tore off the wallpaper so the red is the plasterboard

inside.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 longford Handyman

Is there a bathroom above where the damp match is, I see a waste pipe coming from extension running in to the down pipe.. clouded be coming from roof or you would see it up stares.

Is there a bathroom above where the damp match is, I see a waste pipe coming from extension running in to the down pipe.. clouded be coming from roof or you would see it up stares.

Not exactly above it, there is a waste pipe coming from a bathroom upstairs on the right of that picture and there is an ensuite on the other side of the bedroom above the leak that has its waste pipe joined up there as you can see it. the join is just above the red square on the outside shot.

I had feared it was maybe that but the damp spots only occur when its raining, if you look at the inside shots, the lower damps spots are dry by now as it hasnt rained in a couple of days where we are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement