Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bark damage

Options
  • 04-05-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Help, my ornamental and fruit trees have been part stripped of bark by Hares, caught them at it. Is there any repair or have they had it. Saw them at it a few days back. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

It depends on whether the bark has been stripped all the way around or not.
    In general if more than 50% of the circumference at any one point is stripped the tree is unlikely to survive.
    Some people suggest grafts but it might be easier to get a replacement.
    Do you have any pics you can post?
    If you do try to save them, you should clean the wound

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

Thanks, I have anti fungased and protected the trunks. Then given a good feed. My suppliers said they should be okay. Will see how it goes.
    I suggested to them that at e3 for 5 protectors they should suggest them to clients.
    I urge everyone to protect their trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Once the bark has been removed there is no fixing it really. You can tidy up the damaged bark somewhat, but cleaning it or covering it or painting it will be detrimental to the tree's own recovery process.

If you posted a few photos it would be easier to assess the damage.

why did you anti fungased the trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

Some are fruit trees and I was advised to use anti fungas to stop canker getting in. They are all leafing, flowering etc. so I am hopeful. If they die then thats life :-) . The damage is in vertical strip/s but not all round so hope they will manage to survive using natures survival instinct.
    I can only say to people, protect the trunks of small trees. A Hare/Rabbit/rat can get in anywhere and do what comes naturaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

try putting sphagnum moss from a bog around them and wrap in plastic-leave for a year or two

• Advertisement
Advertisement