Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edmodo

• 04-05-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.
    Do your teachers use edmodo?
    My school seems to be totally against any "virtual teaching"
    In my opinion, it would be very useful for students who are absent a lot due to illness. They can catch up on missed work for example

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I've been meaning to ask this for a while.
    Do your teachers use edmodo?
    My school seems to be totally against any "virtual teaching"
    In my opinion, it would be very useful for students who are absent a lot due to illness. They can catch up on missed work for example

I use it on and off. I'm not very consistent with it because it takes a lot of time and quite a few of my students don't have reliable internet access. I mainly post links to blogs and interactive online activities as opposed to my own typed notes. I also accept assignments through edmodo or email. I think there is a case to be made for edmodo and similar services but it doesn't suit every subject. I often end up being old-fashioned and brainstorming on the board or putting up phrases in collaboration with my class. This is definitely more effective than notes when I want to emphasise or revise structures or tenses for example. I know the vast majority of teachers in my school work with students who are absent due to illness to help catch up. Notes are kept in files, student copies of board work are photocopied and posted home or retained until the student is back in school. If all notes, presentations etc were to be posted online, would it not be a college-style setup as opposed to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

I had one teacher who used it for Music. I have another who uses another site like it for Physics. She doesn't put things up regularly. I can't think of the name of the site just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I haven't heard of Edmodo but two years ago the school made every student set up a Moodle account which sounds similar, although of course none of the teachers bother to use it now despite the huge hullabaloo they made about setting it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Used edmodo last year..
    They use blackboard in college and it's much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

i love edmodo <3 what my teacher did was put a slide on the board, got use to take down the notes and that was class done. It was terrible!!! no learning, no going through them just writing down notes i never looked at again, after weeks of me convincing her she set up edmodo, stuck everything on, now she puts up the slides and we talk about them, much much better

• Advertisement
Advertisement