Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin edge calories count.

• 04-05-2015 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is set up correctly or isn't giving the correct values since I'm not using the HR sensor (I've got the height/weight and age set up correct) but is it possible to burn 1304 calories over the 27.5km spin?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

omri wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is set up correctly or isn't giving the correct values since I'm not using the HR sensor (I've got the height/weight and age set up correct) but is it possible to burn 1304 calories over the 27.5km spin?

Depends.

You are not going to get the answer here though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Entirely possible, particularly if you are averaging around 3 km/h;)

The Garmin measure is a very rough guesstimate at the best of times, but will be pretty meaningless without something to estimate effort (either a HRM or powermeter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds more like you have it set for running than cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

ted1 wrote: »
    Sounds more like you have it set for running than cycling

Its edge 800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's also a huge discrepancy between the Garmin and Strava when the activity is uploaded. Strava is usually half of what the Garmin gives.

(My Garmin 500 stops recording calories during a ride when it gets to 9,999).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As per Beasty's post, your Garmin is entirely guessing based on insufficient information. If your heart rate (or power output) was at 100% or more of your max for the entire 27.5km ride then you would obviously have burned far more calories than if it was at 50% or less, but your Garmin has no idea of which end of the scale your effort was at.

It should have a record of the duration, maybe your cadence, the gradient throughout, and whether you stopped at any stage(s) during the ride, and combined with your age and weight it should be able to make a semi-educated guess at the effort needed, but the variation in generalised estimates of calories required for any task seem to vary a lot from one source to another so yet another cause for doubt - some sources just seem to pluck figures from the air. Plus, Garmin devices seem to lose the plot at times anyway, with occasional spikes in speed, cadence, elevation, etc., figures, and those are figures that should be simple to get right by comparison, so the likelihood of it getting calorie consumption right is perhaps always in doubt regardless of access to data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

(My Garmin 500 stops recording calories during a ride when it gets to 9,999).

LOL! Savage! What would you typically eat on a 250 - 300 km spin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my garmin shows about half the calories when i have the heart rate monitor on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

This^ Without a HRM the count will be estimated very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Don't tell me that I apparently burned 3365 calories today over 80km. A nice dirty take away was my reward. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Think of a random number. Square it. Now divide it by the first number you thought of and then subtract the original number.

That's how much credence you should give to Garmin calorie counts, with or without HR data.

Advertisement