Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got new colony two weeks ago, is this a queen cell just starting ?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone able to tell me whats going on here

[IMG][/img]IMAG0200_zps9kry0qnc.jpg

Its our first colony, we have a double brood box on it, its not anywhere near full, lots of empty frames in the top brood box still.

Is this a queen cell, does it look like a swarm is in the offing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

Hi,

Anyone able to tell me whats going on here

[IMG][/img]IMAG0200_zps9kry0qnc.jpg

Its our first colony, we have a double brood box on it, its not anywhere near full, lots of empty frames in the top brood box still.

Thats called a queen cup/play cell which is what they do when they are a bit bored!

Have they enough room, do the need a super?

Was there an egg in the play cell, if not, nothing to worry about, if there was, i would be keeping a very close eye on that hive from now on!

Sometime though, after the Queen has laid in the cell, the bees can come along afterwards and take the eggs away

I also zoomed in on the pic and it looks like they are eggs in the cells, so if thats the case, then the queen is still there and laying.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Hi,

As SC Kevin said... nothing to do yet but time to keep an eye on them from week to week. One of these days there will likely be eggs/larvae in those little cups and they'll start drawing them down. When that happens it's time to do your swarm control so now is the time to make sure that you have it all figured out and any extra equipment that you'll need, ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Joe Brennan

Good sound advice from SC kevin & Brianmc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thanks all.

The plan I think is to split the colony next week. Checked them yesterday as I was feeding. I have a double brood box at the moment on it, ten frames of fresh foundation, but with them all being drawn down at the moment at various stages. The remaining frames are a mixture of brood and honey etc. The hive loos busy overall. I Fed then last Sunday afternoon, and the feed was all gone yesterday (feeding them syrup into a feeding frame in the top brood box). That's just two days to empty the frame of syrup!!

Surprised they empty the feed so quick.

They appear to take more syrup when they are not out working, both of my hives are taking approx. two & half litres every 2 days. When you do the split will you continue using the double brood box.

• Advertisement

They appear to take more syrup when they are not out working, both of my hives are taking approx. two & half litres every 2 days. When you do the split will you continue using the double brood box.

Hi Joe,

No, the plan is to split the double brood box into two seperare hives. I can put supers on them .

Sounds like a very good Idea, & I wish you the best of luck when you do the split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭conor t

Hi Joe,

No, the plan is to split the double brood box into two seperare hives. I can put supers on them .

Have they much brood in the second box, if i was you I'd leave it another 2-3weeks,

conor t wrote: »
    Have they much brood in the second box, if i was you I'd leave it another 2-3weeks,

Hi conor,

Plenty of larvae in the top brood box. I havnt looked to much at the bottom box, but cold to 've disturbing them at the momentum

Advertisement