Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anaheim California

Options
  • 04-05-2015 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

What would be the best way to Anaheim. Could I do a stop over before new york

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

cena wrote: »
    What would be the best way to Anaheim. Could I do a stop over before new york
    ?? Sorry makes no sense to me. It's close to LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Rashers72 wrote: »
    ?? Sorry makes no sense to me. It's close to LA.

Fly to anahiem from ireland with a stop over to get a hockey in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Fly to anahiem from ireland with a stop over to get a hockey in

Dublin->Chicago or NY -> LA International or Long Beach

Rent a car and head to Anaheim from there. It's about 1 hour drive. Traffic in LA is brutal, but you need a car to get the most out of the area.

Dublin->Chicago or NY -> LA International or Long Beach

Rent a car and head to Anaheim from there. It's about 1 hour drive. Traffic in LA is brutal, but you need a car to get the most out of the area.

How would I get a stop over in l.a and on to new York. Or would I be better to fly to new York and get a flight in l.a. I would be staying in new York the rest of the time.

How would I get a stop over in l.a and on to new York. Or would I be better to fly to new York and get a flight in l.a. I would be staying in new York the rest of the time.

You'd need to book separate flights. So you could fly to ny, have a few days there, then fly domestic flight to LA and back, then have another couple of days in NY before flying home.

• Advertisement

You'd need to book separate flights. So you could fly to ny, have a few days there, then fly domestic flight to LA and back, then have another couple of days in NY before flying home.

I was thinking so. Wouldn't be right going that far and not stay with the family

I was thinking so. Wouldn't be right going that far and not stay with the family

NY -> LA is a long way. It is a 6 or 7 hour flight with a 3 hour time difference, and is basically the same as Dublin->NY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You want to get from Dublin to LA and then onto New York? Best way to do that would be a multi city stopover, try britishairways.com you could do Dublin - London - LA - New York or Dublin - US airport (see what ba throws out) - LA - New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

January wrote: »
    You want to get from Dublin to LA and then onto New York? Best way to do that would be a multi city stopover, try britishairways.com you could do Dublin - London - LA - New York or Dublin - US airport (see what ba throws out) - LA - New York.

FYI Ethiopian Airlines are starting a direct flight from Dublin to LA this summer. Save you the time and hassle of a connecting flight. You could then travel domestically for hockey.

C.D. wrote: »
    FYI Ethiopian Airlines are starting a direct flight from Dublin to LA this summer. Save you the time and hassle of a connecting flight. You could then travel domestically for hockey.

How would I travel domestically

• Advertisement

You could book a flight from LA-New York through united/american airlines/delta etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How would I travel domestically

Go to skyscanner.net and price up flights from new York to Los Angeles. You'll be flying all the way across the country on a 6+ hour flight. It will probably be at least $500 for a direct flight, less with a stopover.

Damn. lot of trouble just for a hockey game. But I have supported the team for the last 20 years

Damn. lot of trouble just for a hockey game. But I have supported the team for the last 20 years

not that complicated really if you just wanted to come to the west coast and forget the East completely. What complicates things is that the US is huge, and it can be difficult to organize if you HAVE to go to NY.

I really couldn't go over and not see the family. If I could a cheap it would be a bonus

I really couldn't go over and not see the family. If I could a cheap it would be a bonus

Cheap between NY and LA doesn't really happen. You are usually looking at a minimum of 175 each way. Whenever I've gone between SF and NY it is around the 450 return mark.

The other side of it is, especially if you are heading east - the day is nearly a write off. Leaving the west coast at 7am gets you to the east coast around 5 or 6 and by the time you get into Manhattan or any of the other boroughs it's closer to 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Cheap between NY and LA doesn't really happen. You are usually looking at a minimum of 175 each way. Whenever I've gone between SF and NY it is around the 450 return mark.

I've flown SF -> NY (JFK) a couple of times, and both were $146 inc taxes. JetBlue, mid-september, booked about 2 months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

So you're going to LA, but you think family would expect you to visit them - and they're in NY!? It's not a reasonable expectation because of the size of the US.

Here's an example: my best friend from Dublin was on holidays in Las Vegas last year. I did not expect him to visit me here in Atlanta.

Now if I was back in Ireland and didn't visit him, that would be a different story.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    So you're going to LA, but you think family would expect you to visit them - and they're in NY!? It's not a reasonable expectation because of the size of the US.

Here's an example: my best friend from Dublin was on holidays in Las Vegas last year. I did not expect him to visit me here in Atlanta.

Now if I was back in Ireland and didn't visit him, that would be a different story.

I go back to Europe 5 or 6 times a year for work - for very intense work trips to work with the people I manage in Switzerland and France. I am often there for 10 days, maybe a bit more - and besides jet lag, I need to be completely focussed on work. If I leave either place on Friday evening, I would literally only have 24 hours with my family before heading back to be there for Sunday evening. The closest airport is Cork which from Switzerland and South France would mean a transit through Heathrow, and then I'd have to drive another 2 hours to Bantry. Sometimes it just isn't possible.

I had an old family friend that was visiting my own sister/brother in law in Vancouver as he had a few days spare after working in Alaska - I wasn't offended when he didn't come down to me - a two hour flight away. Granted - they have a pool so I can understand why :) but sometimes, extensive side trips just aren't possible.

Honestly, if the only reason you're doing New York is to visit family, I really wouldn't bother. I wouldn't expect anyone to travel from LA to New York to visit me just because they were in America.

It's a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

To put it in context, the distance between LA and New York is only slightly less than that between Dublin and Tel Aviv. You'd never expect someone visiting Israel to hop on a flight for a quick visit to you in Dublin!

Unless you're going to be in the states for a few weeks minimum and have a big budget then it will be a stretch to do both.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    To put it in context, the distance between LA and New York is only slightly less than that between Dublin and Tel Aviv. You'd never expect someone visiting Israel to hop on a flight for a quick visit to you in Dublin!

Unless you're going to be in the states for a few weeks minimum and have a big budget then it will be a stretch to do both.

i WOULD SAY the normal 3 weeks stay when We go over

if you've never been out west then in that three weeks you could

go to the grand canyon
    go to las vegas
    go to san francisco via route 1
    go to san diego
    go to yosemite
    explore LA

Still wouldn't visit New York... 3 weeks in California is not the same as three weeks here or three weeks in Spain/France... There is so much to do.

Advertisement