Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dev PC for my Brother

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you got that PC at the bottom out is that parts you had picked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If it needs to be quiet, possibly look at some cases lined with sound dampening material like the fractal design r4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Have you got that PC at the bottom out is that parts you had picked out?

Those parts are what my brother had picked out so far.

I thought it'd be an idea to get some feedback first. He hasn't ordered anything yet.

I can throw together gaming PCs until the cows come home but I haven't a notion about more professional-focused builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Gbear wrote: »
    Those parts are what my brother had picked out so far.

I thought it'd be an idea to get some feedback first. He hasn't ordered anything yet.

I can throw together gaming PCs until the cows come home but I haven't a notion about more professional-focused builds.

You could drop the graphics card if there is no gaming on it, the integrated should do fine. Other sites to look at to compare prices would be amazon, aria, ebuyer and scan.

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You could drop the graphics card if there is no gaming on it, the integrated should do fine. Other sites to look at to compare prices would be amazon, aria, ebuyer and scan.

Not quite no gaming.

He might want to have a bash off GTA 5.

As far as I know it scales quite well , so I think the 280x above would probably be overkill - he probably doesn't want to spend 200 quid on something he wouldn't use much of.

But maybe a 270 would be a decent compromise? Or a 960?

It'll probably be 1080p but he might get a WQHD monitor at a later stage.

As far as multi-screen support goes, would he not need a graphics card to run 4 screens (3 monitors and a projector) anyway?

Little over budget, better GPU, cpu fan, motherboard is similar. No need for a PCIe SSD. Kept your case and cpu. RAM is as good, a lot cheaper.

Why isn't there a need for a PCIe SSD? It certainly performs a lot better in benchmarks. (Edit: Review here)

Lu Tze mentioned a Fractal Design case. I believe the Antec also has noise dampening. Is there any major difference between the two?

Because theres a minimal difference in two life usage. The difference wouldn't even add up to minutes across a day I'd say.

960 is about €20 cheaper, not worth the downgrade. 270x might be worth a look then.

Can you check the cost of the fractals? I'm back on my phone. The one you chose has dampening yes

Because theres a minimal difference in two life usage. The difference wouldn't even add up to minutes across a day I'd say.

960 is about €20 cheaper, not worth the downgrade. 270x might be worth a look then.

Can you check the cost of the fractals? I'm back on my phone. The one you chose has dampening yes

There's only about a fiver in it. Unless one has some other advantage - cooling, cable management, or pure looks then it's a coin toss.

I presume 500W will be enough with this build with an r9 270?

• Advertisement

Yeah 500w is loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Looks like a nice spec there.

Just some thoughts:
    I don't use VS so I'm not sure on RAM requirements, but unless he's running pretty light Linux VMs, 16GB might get a bit tight. It's totally something he can double up on later (as long as you get 2x8GB) so not really something that needs changing, but just to keep in mind.
    Perhaps consider a GTX 960. It's about the same price/performance of a 280X, but (particularly that MSI one) is likely to be a lot quieter.

Right. He's pretty much ready to order that then.

He'll probably hold off on the M2 SSD and wait until the tech becomes a little more mainstream.

I believe his final build is:

Fractal Design r5
    Some sort of z97 mobo - probably the ASRock mentioned above.
    Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
    Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD30EZRX) HDD
    An r9 270
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00CEU)
    Crucial BX100 250GB SSD SATA 6Gbps 7mm Solid State Drive (CT250BX100SSD1)
    BeQuiet Pure Power L8 500W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply - With 120mm Silent Wing Fan Built in
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler

Serephucus wrote: »
    Looks like a nice spec there.

Just some thoughts:
    I don't use VS so I'm not sure on RAM requirements, but unless he's running pretty light Linux VMs, 16GB might get a bit tight. It's totally something he can double up on later (as long as you get 2x8GB) so not really something that needs changing, but just to keep in mind.
    Perhaps consider a GTX 960. It's about the same price/performance of a 280X, but (particularly that MSI one) is likely to be a lot quieter.

Neither of us think he really needs the 280x - probably overkill. A 960 would be the same.

I think an overclocked 270 is probably sufficient - should get 30-60 fps on medium for GTA5 and he won't be playing it very often.

On the RAM he said:
    "
    nah, that's not a problem. I don't run the VMs all the time, just fire them up as needed
    mostly i run them on my server anyway, just need to be able to handle them occasionally"

A 270 is fine for those needs then.

A WD Green is for backups mainly, if its constantly being accessed he should look into a black or Blue. Not sure if you're aware of that, just to keep in mind

A 270 is fine for those needs then.

A WD Green is for backups mainly, if its constantly being accessed he should look into a black or Blue. Not sure if you're aware of that, just to keep in mind

He's just using it to store media so he doesn't think it'll be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

VMs: Grand, 16GB should be tonnes then.

Green drive will be grand. Maybe have a look and see if a Red one can be squished into the budget. Longer warranty is nice.

Advertisement