Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new presenters announced???

Options
  • 04-05-2015 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭

Philip Glenister

Jodie Kidd

and

GUY MARTIN

whatever about the other two, Guy Martin would be an inspired choice as a presenter.
    he's a TT racer
    mechanic
    record holder
    car lover
    engineering and history enthusiast

and all round top bloke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Philip Glenaster is terrible on 'For the Love of Cars', dosent seem to have a genuine interestablished or much mechanical knowledge from what I can see.
    Jodie Kidd is a petrol head and softer on the eye then Clarkson ever was.
    Don't know anything about the other bloke so wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Oh boy, if you haven't heard of Guy Martin you're in for a treat,

Check out some of his other stuff

https://vimeo.com/109761230

heres a program about rebuilding a spitfire,

there are more that he made for C4 , like the world record series, the pikes peak challenge, and our Guy in India, hes a genuine and enthusiastic bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    https://vimeo.com/109761230

heres a program about rebuilding a spitfire

That looks like a great watch, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We'll see how they get on. I just hope they don't try to stick to the old format which worked for Jeremy and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Guy said this years TT will be his last.

Sounds like he is retiring to take up Top gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Guys latest record attempts were very entertaining. Hope this goes well for him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Guy will have to go for elocution lessons, his northern accent is too heavy and too fast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You lead the thread title with a question mark. Has this been announced or is it just on the back of speculation between Wilman and Jay Kay "at lunch" which has been doing the rounds lately?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

It was reported in the Telegraph, not officially announced by the BBC.

Describing them as a dream team is a bit much though, surely that was Clarkson, May and Hammond wasn't it?. Guy Martin? good, Jody Kidd? well...ok, Philip Glenister? no, just no, no way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Looks like it will have different hosts each week, a few newspapers reporting. Hammond and May allegedly have been offered £1million each to return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I hope H&M tell them to stick it and reunite the trio elsewhere

Guest presenters each week has the potential to be very annoying, it will certainly kill off the epic races /challenges for which TG was best known. Can't see it lasting long with that format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Chris Evans to host TG, according to Newstalk just now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

@BBCBreaking: Chris Evans has signed a three-year deal to lead a new Top Gear line-up, BBC says http://t.co/xusg2fbKta

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Matt LeBlanc announced as one of the new presenters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Well here they are the new presenters.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/meet-your-new-top-gear-presenters

Eddie Jordan was a surprise for me but considering f1 is moving to channel 4 now he probably wouldnt move with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Too many cooks...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

My thoughts exactly alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Yeah but one of them is Sabine Schmitz:D:D:D

Hubba Hubba.

Which is of course German for "I shall enjoy her penetrating insights and general good humour"

Though if they have her, what do they need the Stig for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Madd Finn wrote: »
    Sabine Schmitz:D:D:D
    Hubba Hubba.

Uhh, ok...

endurance-24-hours-of-the-nurburgring-2015-30-frikadelli-racing-porsche-997-gt3-r-sabine-s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

So, a German, an Irishman, a woman a ginger and some black dude. Looks like all the minorities are catered for.

What about portly middle-aged Englishman with a slightly risque sense of humour? Where's their representative?

Political correctness gone mad!!! Mad I tell you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wayyyyy too many presenters. Diversity gone mad

Token Gear

Uhh, ok...

Ok so she had a rough night the night before. Leaving aside the whole "inner beauty" argument, there are also better photographs you can find. :)

Sabine_Schmitz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She looks like Michael Schumacher's twin sister.

I'll wait and see where they're going with this. It looks like it's going to be a complete departure from the top gear we're used to. It could be a case of the BBC listening to the people and then finding out the people they listened to didn't even watch top gear, never had any intention of watching top gear and they don't really have a clue what they want.

I see the Guardian were remarkably prescient about this nearly a year ago.

Of course in their case, I really think it was a case of "careful what you wish for" :)

An excerpt from this piece, written by the sort of smug-featured right-on metrosexual Guardian Man who would probably volunteer to go on a "Consent Course" more than once, just so he could really patronise the rest of his sex:

"realistically the BBC has only one choice that would tick all the boxes. That choice is German racing driver Sabine Schmitz.

Schmitz knows a lot about cars, and possibly even rivals The Stig in terms of ability. ...Plus, she is both German and a woman, a combination of traits so alien to the majority of Top Gear viewers that the whole show would probably self-destruct within an hour of her taking the job. And surely, at this point, that would, as they say, be the best outcome for everyone involved.

Sabine was one of the first names brought up, I think the BBC were always going to have a woman presenter this time around and I think Sabine is probably the best person for the job, she has previous car show experience in Germany. She's an interesting character that comes with her own following too. She's well known all over the world and is a real race car driver, which none of the others can say.

I'm actually a bit disappointed they didn't get Jay Leno. He's the new car nerd godfather and has one of the best car shows out at the moment on his youtube channel. He would put May to shame with his depth of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I'm dubious but willing to give them a chance. It will either work or be cancelled half way through season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

It's like they've gone back to the format of Top Gear when it was a half hour program on Thursday nights. It's actually a great line up they've gotten together, all genuine petrol heads.
    I think it'll be good, it can't be any worse than the stale mess Top Gear had become in last few seasons.

Advertisement