Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote backup to NAS over Internet

Options
  • 04-05-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

As per title I'd like to be able to backup a Windows PC to a NAS in a different location.
    There seems to be no problem accessing files remotely from a NAS but I can't find any straightforward solution to backing up (preferably automatically) to an Internet connected NAS.
    Maybe I'm using wrong search terms or looking at wrong technology.
    I'm not interested in 3rd party cloud storage.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the NAS?

Synology etc will have their own utilities. If you wanted to be more client agnostic then you could setup a VPN host NAS side then just mount it as a samba share, but that might be too complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

NAS hasn't been purchased yet.
    I couldn't see one which came with a suitable utility but I was probably looking at the wrong manufacturers (too consumer/media oriented).
    I hadn't looked at Synology products so maybe they'll have something suitable.
    I think an integrated solution might be more in my comfort zone than Samba shares.
    Thanks for the pointer, this is new territory for me.

If you went as far as a fully fledged OS then Crashplans client will allow you run continual backups to another windows machine (your NAS) without going near their end. Might be what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Is this the sort of setup you're suggesting?
    How to install CrashPlan on Synology Diskstation
    If possible I'd like to have just the NAS (connected to Internet) at the remote location and avoid the need for a PC at that end.

Well, I have a little box like below running all my local backups and content. It runs 2K8R2 and the CP client. So any offsite machine could backup to it if thats what I wanted, it may actually be soon. This is a more expensive but higher "performance" option though than an embedded NAS solution, but it means I can run anything I like on it. Probably for your use the best option is an off the shelf unit with a decent client (and security!).

ds380-34.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement