Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which chainsaw?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I am a qualified chainsaw user and id like to do a project of taking down 25yr old Golden lilandae in my garden as they are now invading my home and blocking all the sunlight.

I am used to working with large Husqvarna saws but i think a smaller lighter saw would be much easier for using in my garden.

Can anyone recommend a small chainsaw for the job and also possibly a telescopic pole type saw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Iv had 3 stihl ms170s and they are a great little saw.the first one got a huge amount of use and a lot of bouncing around,cleared 2acres of knotted over grown 20yr old laurel in one summer had it 5yrs still going great when sold.the second didn't get to much use and was like new when sold it and the new one is well only seen 10l of fuel so far.
    They are light and pretty powerful for the size.
    The father has a new 180 it's noticeabley heavyier and a lot harder on fuel.
    In a few years when I'm changing again il be getting another 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Iv had 3 stihl ms170s and they are a great little saw.the first one got a huge amount of use and a lot of bouncing around,cleared 2acres of knotted over grown 20yr old laurel in one summer had it 5yrs still going great when sold.the second didn't get to much use and was like new when sold it and the new one is well only seen 10l of fuel so far.
    They are light and pretty powerful for the size.
    The father has a new 180 it's noticeabley heavyier and a lot harder on fuel.
    In a few years when I'm changing again il be getting another 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Something in the 50-60cc range with a 14-16" bar running .325 full chisel would be excellent.
    You have the big saws for the odd bit of stuff that's too big for the small saw.

Husqvarna 550 XP
    Husqvarna 560 XP
    Stihl MS 261
    Stihl MS 362

Advertisement