Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beara Way clockwise or anticlockwise

Options
  • 04-05-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Any opinions on this ? Does it make any difference ?
    Planning to walk it during the summer. Just looking at accommodation options and distances now. Doesn't seem to be as many hostels as on Iveragh Peninsula, will have to use B and B some nights.

All info and advice welcome :-)

Comments

I live a few miles from it and still wouldn't know much about it. Know the Beara peninsula, the Cahas, the Mishkish mountains, the islands etc...but would know much more about the Kerry Way than the Beara Way. Seems to be a good amount of it on roads, albeit small roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Yep, it seems similar to Kerry Way statistically, both are just over 200km in length with over 5000m of total ascent. 36% road on Kerry Way, 40% on Beara. I suspect a lot less foot fall on Beara. Did Kerry Way last year. Some sections are quite busy. Great to see it being used though, it's a great way to tour the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

acorn wrote: »
    Yep, it seems similar to Kerry Way statistically, both are just over 200km in length with over 5000m of total ascent. 36% road on Kerry Way, 40% on Beara. I suspect a lot less foot fall on Beara. Did Kerry Way last year. Some sections are quite busy. Great to see it being used though, it's a great way to tour the area.

Take care to visit www.irishtrails.ie to get the the most up to date route - the Beara Way has had a habit of changing a bit over the years. In particular, do not rely on older editions of the OS Discovery Maps or the map booklet that they produced years ago but which still lurks in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Thanks BarryD, just been looking at it. A few changes online from the route
    marked on my aged os map alright. Longest stretch on road is between Glengarriff and Kenmare - might be a day for the Ring of Beara bus :-)

Advertisement