Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro d'Italia 2015 May 9th - 31st (please use spoiler tags)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

gadetra wrote: »
    Heard he had diptheria too on GCN. Apparently he's list 4kg as a result too in a week or something crazy like that.

Dysentry.....not diptheria

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

or as it is more commonly known as in rural ireland...the scutters!!!

Am I mad keeping Aru on my Velogame team?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Sorry, dysentery. You're right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I thought it was a stomach virus? Where did you read it was diphtheria?

Dysentery, apologies. I still don't get the quotation marks. You think it's a ruse?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Brian? wrote: »
    Dysentery, apologies. I still don't get the quotation marks. You think it's a ruse?

To be fair, I'd take practically everything Pro Teams say before a GT with a pinch of salt, especially when it comes to riders' condition.

To be fair, I'd take practically everything Pro Teams say before a GT with a pinch of salt, especially when it comes to riders' condition.

I know they like to play act alright. It's funny that there's none of that from Contador, he's basically said he's in great shape and probably going to win.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stringbean

Anyone know link where could watch highlights each evening - to be honest bit of a novice cycling fan so don't want to tie myself to a subscription?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

stringbean wrote: »
    Anyone know link where could watch highlights each evening - to be honest bit of a novice cycling fan so don't want to tie myself to a subscription?

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

stringbean wrote: »

Its all on YouTube, for stage 1 anyway

https://youtu.be/3pzYVji1sDw3pzYVji1sDw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Pm sent

Can you send that my way too please.

If anyone is wondering I am on mobile only until Tuesday or Wednesday, so I won't be making any previews until then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They mentioned it during the time trial but a screaming kid interrupted, where's Kelly gone from Eurosport? Holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They mentioned it during the time trial but a screaming kid interrupted, where's Kelly gone from Eurosport? Holiday?

Recovering from keyhole surgery on his knee i think I heard them say

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

Recovering from keyhole surgery on his knee i think I heard them say

Well he needs to HTFU & get on with it :D

• Advertisement

Just wondering are time bonuses on offer during the Giro?

snollup wrote: »
    Just wondering are time bonuses on offer during the Giro?

10, 6 and 4 I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Some stunning photos.

Stage 1
    http://stories.strava.com/giro15st01

Stages 2-3-4-5
    http://stories.strava.com/liguria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Glad Sean Kelly is back and calling Alberto Contador on making hay out of his shoulder 'problem'

Contador supposedly saying he has to change his position on TT bike !!
    Sean not taking that on board at all - says he is doing a PR job now and can see why his shoulder wont be ok by now and no need to change TT position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Some great pics here http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/#live (underneath first pic) of previous Giri. Its really interesting look at the pics from the 2009 race, won by Menchov

Some of the stage photos really look like a rogues gallery given what has transpired in the years since. Menchov, Armstrong, DiLuca, Pellizotti, Barry, Leipheimer etc

A couple of pics if Froome in his Barloworld daysm - getting dropped.....and also a few guys in the current 2015 Ras feature in some pics too......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As kind of expected, Richie Porte has abandoned the Giro.

From Cyclingnews:
    “I fell heavily on my knee and hip which caused me a lot of pain on Saturday’s time trail and yesterday’s stage. I just wanted to keep trying and give it everything but now the medical team have advised me not to continue."

How far back did he finish yesterday? The official website is spectacularly bad when it comes to trying to find the full stage results. Couldn't find it yesterday when I checked on my tablet anyway.

How far back did he finish yesterday? The official website is spectacularly bad when it comes to trying to find the full stage results. Couldn't find it yesterday when I checked on my tablet anyway.

Porte finished in 88th place, 27'04" behind the stage winner.
    That dropped him down to 27th place overall, 35'57" behind Contador.

ProCyclingStats is a really good website for getting stage results and much more.

27 minutes. I hope Koenig can make the podium.

I would prefer if Landa and Amador are on the podium ....

Not a fan of Konig.....not a team player imo and his interview about Porte after the race was abit iffy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »
    I would prefer if Landa and Amador are on the podium ....

Not a fan of Konig.....not a team player imo and his interview about Porte after the race was abit iffy

Porte is gone now so doesnt need to be a team player.

godtabh wrote: »
    Porte is gone now so doesnt need to be a team player.

?? I was talking about all along...even in races in the spring

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »
    ?? I was talking about all along...even in races in the spring

I just meant that not being a team player maybe an advantage to him now. He has positioned himself well

I just meant that not being a team player maybe an advantage to him now. He has positioned himself well

OH ...I see what you mean.....it has positioned him well

He does seem like a very ambitious rider who has not really fitted into the SKY train thing ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Not that I have any real knowledge to base an opinion on how happy Konig is or how he fits to the team but I wonder could he, a bit like Cavendish a few years ago, feel he was signed by Sky somewhat under false pretences; e.g. shown by apparently claiming/thinking he'd be joint team leader at the Giro but finding it was all about Porte despite in his mind putting in a better overall GT performance than Porte has over the last few years.

• Advertisement

pelevin wrote: »
    Not that I have any real knowledge to base an opinion on how happy Konig is or how he fits to the team but I wonder could he, a bit like Cavendish a few years ago, feel he was signed by Sky somewhat under false pretences; e.g. shown by apparently claiming/thinking he'd be joint team leader at the Giro but finding it was all about Porte despite in his mind putting in a better overall GT performance than Porte has over the last few years.

I'd agree with that.

I think if Sky dont win something big this year could be big changes next year.

Sky are adapting (kind of). We have seen a change of tactics from them and possible the role out of a Plan B with Konig. I think this will be reflected in their line up from next year.

Its just I don't see Konig as that great a rider...great TT /ok climber

I think there are better riders in team SKY

I cannot see why Team SKY should get behind him next year (yet)

We will know a lot more about Koenig and his climbing ability after tomorrows stage, it's an absolute monster.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    We will know a lot more about Koenig and his climbing ability after tomorrows stage, it's an absolute monster.

Yeah...

Bet Astana will be going like a steam train

I hope Konig goes well but I suppose I prefer Amador as he has been riding so well with a whole nation behind him

And Landa has proved such a great climber in this Giro

I'd agree with that.

I think if Sky dont win something big this year could be big changes next year.

Sky are adapting (kind of). We have seen a change of tactics from them and possible the role out of a Plan B with Konig. I think this will be reflected in their line up from next year.

Froome winning the TdF will keep them ticking over nicely. I wouldn't bet against it.

they/them/theirs

Froome winning the TdF will keep them ticking over nicely. I wouldn't bet against it.

From twitter he seems to be in flying form. Only time will tell.

Its interesting that Porte did the Giro. I always thought he was Froomes right hand man so I wonder will we see a 3 team approach supporting Porte for the Giro, Froome for the Tour and Roche for Vuelta?

Its interesting that Porte did the Giro. I always thought he was Froomes right hand man so I wonder will we see a 3 team approach supporting Porte for the Giro, Froome for the Tour and Roche for Vuelta?

Would be a great set up but I imagine ..... Konig , Henao, Poels , Thomas may be looking for leadership in GTs

Having said that Roche looks to be in great form and very thin (for him) but he is proving to be a great team captain so not sure if he will get a chance or be fresh enough when he does...One thing Nico does have is consistency (in bucket fulls) and an ability to avoid disasters in GTs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Aru is what 24? He is up against possibly the greatest GT rider of his generation. Being beaten by Contador in a GT is nothing to be ashamed of.

I am massively impressed with what Aru has managed so far. It looks like Contador has far too much for him in this GT but Aru looks like he could well be winning GT's in the near future.

If this is what Aru can do at 24, imagine what he will be doing at 30!

Barring a fall, I can't see him losing the Tour.

Sky see Porte as good enough to lead the team in a grand tour. They've plenty of super domestiques to support Froome in the Tour.

Would love to see Roche lead Sky
    For the Vuelta.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I'd have thought though that Tour with no ITT, Quintana for one could be a huge threat to Froome.

pelevin wrote: »
    I'd have thought though that Tour with no ITT, Quintana for one could be a huge threat to Froome.

Quintana, Contador and Nibali are all threats to Froome. But Froome on top form should be able to see them off.

they/them/theirs

Quintana, Contador and Nibali are all threats to Froome. But Froome on top form should be able to see them off.

With no ITT I'd say Contador in top form would take the win personally. I'll be cheering for Quintana though!

This TdF is going to be awesome :D

Before the battles start in the mountains, they will all have to get through Stage 4 first.

GC contenders + cobbles = crashes!

PROFIL.png

Froome + cobbles = crashes!

I hope he's been on a bike skills course since last year.

Before the battles start in the mountains, they will all have to get through Stage 4 first.

PROFIL.png

It all depends on the weather for that stage! Nibali was immense on last years cobbled stage and took time over everyone. If Froome survives that day, he should be alright.

Personally I'd much prefer to see Quintana or Contador win, but I think it's too easily for Quintana to dominate the tour and Contador will have the Giro in his legs.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

The fact now one can I agree means it's going to be absolutely epic :D

For the record Contador will win...

Quintana wasn't that far off Froome 2 years ago when despite how incredible Froome looked, to an extent tactical naivety made a big difference between them. Two years of development later as well as a GT win, I'd not be surprised to see Quintana match or be better than Froome.

I see no one is opting fro Nibali ?? And he probably has the strongest team and is the best on cobbles

The same as with every rider, as long as they're all legit Nibali is the one I'd most like to see win. If he did manage to take a couple of minutes on the cobbles again - a pretty big if - and climbed like last year, it'd take an awful lot to beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Froome + cobbles = crashes!

I hope he's been on a bike skills course since last year.

It's mad, the guy used to be an xc mountainbike racer, he should have no problems with the cobbles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement