Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Payment through Paypal - Is it ok?

• 04-05-2015 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

The brother in law is selling a Harley Davidson online. He got an email from a guy in Sweden saying he will purchase the bike and arrange transport but he is working away so can't see the bike.

He says he will pay by paypal as its quick and secure. Is this to good to be through? Is their any possible downsides to this? Just Ive heard of so many scams...Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,288 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like a scam to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Yes, I'd say it's a scam, threads on this type of pay pal scam have been on here before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

yobr wrote: »
    The brother in law is selling a Harley Davidson online. He got an email from a guy in Sweden saying he will purchase the bike and arrange transport but he is working away so can't see the bike.

He says he will pay by paypal as its quick and secure. Is this to good to be through? Is their any possible downsides to this? Just Ive heard of so many scams...Thanks

The only downside is that you'll be left without a bike and money. Tell them where to go. It's a well known scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Suggest that the bike will be released when the funds have been removed from PayPal to your (BILs) bank account.

Watch them run. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Scam stay clear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

SCAM Run like hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

The big worry for Paypal is in chargebacks... Paypal can implement a chargeback if the buyer complains that the transaction was fradulent and there's not a whole lot you can do.

I have spoken with sellers on eBay who insist on waiting ten working days after funds have cleared to make sure that the account is kosher.

Having said this I find it very implausible that someone who is working away from Sweden would take it upon themselves to purchase a bike in Ireland they've never seen and send a stranger money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Well known scam, they have been known to offer above the asking price to secure a sale - it's ironic that most of these scamsters appear to be working away from home....usually at sea.

Run a mile :eek:

Interesting note on the paypal site - What's not Covered?
    Intangible items like services, real estate, motorized vehicles (of any kind), custom made items, travel tickets, industrial machinery (for manufacturing), prepaid or gift cards, anything you buy in person, or items that violate PayPal's policies or eBay’s policies. You must open a dispute within 180 days or you will not be covered.

You could always ask for payment in Bitcoin if doing long distance transaction... that's not reversible if used correctly... it's fairly trivial to change them back into cash! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colin120

If I was you buddy I'd leave it. The same situation happened to me before. Ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I will give your brother 1 million butter vouchers, unfortunately I too am working away in South Africa (against my will) but its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Thanks folks.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

One of the oldest scams of the modern age. How people still don't know about them is beyond me...........tell your brother I am the king of a little country called Ntacontryland and I need him to mind $40073988163788.87 for me. All I need are his accounts deets and his mother's maiden name........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Thanks folks.....

I've bought lots of cars and bikes in the UK on eBay. Always paid a modest deposit via PayPal and collected the item ( sometimes weeks later ) with cash on hand when I was able to travel. Never a problem. Maybe that's the way to go. Maybe it's a genuine buyer or maybe not. Cash always works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Falcon L wrote: »
    Suggest that the bike will be released when the funds have been removed from PayPal to your (BILs) bank account.

Watch them run. :D

Not good advice, the scammer would llikely have no problem with waiting. In case somebody else reading this would think the money is safe once its in their own bank account

What usually happens is the scammer is using somebody elses paypal account illegally and he will actually make payment either using their paypal balance or the credit card associated with the account.

Once paypal are informed that the transaction was fraudulent, the transaction is reversed and the BILs paypal account will have a negative balance (if he already removed the funds)

So now the BIL will owe this amount to Paypal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't even reply. The only persons whose time you'll be wasting is your own. Scams always involve a buyer/seller out of the country.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Don't even reply. The only persons whose time you'll be wasting is your own. Scams always involve a buyer/seller out of the country.

I can just about believe you might see an item which interests you while on holiday and have sold to people for whom that's true. However when they've contacted me, they've asked me to simply hold the item until they get back so they can inspect it, rather than offer to send money upfront! :)

I try to be accommodating but since it doesn't really matter who you sell to so long as you get the money, I just say first come, first served, am sure OP will have no problem selling this for cash in hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

There are many different scams about but the main focus of them all is to persuade a seller to part with their goods for sale or their money by promising payment or delivery.

Two common scams are...

1/ A seller receives a text asking for their email address.

They then receive an email saying the buyer wants to pay by money transfer (Western Union or PayPal), is based abroad & will arrange transportation costs.

The seller loses the goods for sale and doesn’t receive any money.

2/ A buyer is asked to pay for goods by money transfer (Western Union or PayPal).

They receive confirmation from a fake shipping company with a professional looking website that the goods are en route.

The buyer loses their money & doesn’t receive any goods.

Advertisement