Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB - Want to do an interntional bank transfer or wire to America

Options
  • 04-05-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Want to transfer money via bank to America. They are calling it a wire transfer.

They have provided me the following details and instructions:
    Credit to: Name of Bank
    Address of bank

ABA Routing: 9 digit number

Account of: Name of company/bank account
    Address of company

Account Number: 10 digit number
    ABA Routing Number: 9 digit number
    Swift Code: WFBIUS6S 6 letters, number, letter
    Chips Code: 4 digit number

a) Is this what we call a Swift transfer????
    b) How much will this cost to do?

c) They've also said: Be sure to include the wire transfer fee to your amount otherwise your payment will be short.
    Can you explain this please?

d) Can I do this online or will need to go into ptsb?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

amdublin wrote: »
    Hi,

Want to transfer money via bank to America. They are calling it a wire transfer.

They have provided me the following details aninstructions:
    Credit to: Name of Bank
    Address of bank

ABA Routing: 9 digit number

Account of: Name of company/bank account
    Address of company

Account Number: 10 digit number
    ABA Routing Number: 9 digit number
    Swift Code: WFBIUS6S 6 letters, number, letter
    Chips Code: 4 digit number

a) Is this what we call a Swift transfer????
    b) How much will this cost to do?

c) They've also said: Be sure to include the wire transfer fee to your amount otherwise your payment will be short.
    Can you explain this please?

d) Can I do this online or will need to go into ptsb?

Did one of these last year so, provided they haven't changed anything in that time, the answers are as follows:

a) Yep, it's Swift
    b) €31.50
    c) Include the price of the Swift transfer in the amount you send (i.e. if the receiving bank charges €5 to receive the payment and you're transferring €100, you need to send €105)
    d) You need to go in to a branch (I didn't do it in my home branch so any branch should be fine)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You might be better off using something like transferwise/currencyfair/transfermate (to name a few) for this as it will save you money plus they way they deliver means there is on additional cost on the receivers end as they usually do this via ACH transfer.

If you want to do it via PTSB you need to go down to a branch (bring you debit card and id) and fill out a form to get it done, however even if you choose to cover all cost down the road the receiver might not get the full amount as the receiving bank might deduct their fee and hence the receiver does not get all the money they expect.

You really will be better off (less fee, better exchange rate and guaranteed amount) if you use transferwise/currencyfair/transfermate (to name a few).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks all

I've never heard of anything like the others. Are they physical branches or I can do it online??

Hmm looks good.

But I think I'd have to go through all the money laundering etc so might just do first transfer through ptsb, will have to do some more later on so might set up account for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

€31.50 is way too much. My Mother used this method of payment a few years ago. I recently did a u.s. payment online via BOI and it was €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

amdublin wrote: »
    Are they physical branches or I can do it online??

You can make the transfer online using an FX currency broker such as Currency Fair.

Spoke with helpful fella in ptsb.

Can do the swift for €31.50

But instead I am going to get a US dollar cheque for €3.50 and post it (reg post €6)

Thanks for your help all.

Advertisement