Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aidan Lynam

• 04-05-2015 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

Nice feature on the Six one news about Aidan's sad passing. He lost his life in a motorbike accident in kilkee yesterday. Aidan was marshalling in the annual up4DSI fundraising event. He also marshalled on the Tour de Munster and on the inaugural Tour de Leinster. He is survived by his wife and 3 children. May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'm a biker myself, he is a regular poster on biker.ie
    Know his name well over there, it was a genuine shock to hear this.
    RIP and sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Very sad , knew a few guys on this run they are devastated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

its a very sad house here tonight, raising a glass, safe journey home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

He was one of the motorcycle marshalls on the Galway Cycle too. Came onboard for the DSI year and came back each year afterwards. Terrible news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Orion wrote: »
    He was one of the motorcycle marshalls on the Galway Cycle too. Came onboard for the DSI year and came back each year afterwards. Terrible news.

He was also the co-founder and one of the driving forces behind the Cycle4DSI/Lap De Gaps run from Blessington, scheduled for Saturday May 16th this year. Generally gets great support from the GC community, especially since they're such a support to us. Now this tragedy might cast doubt on that date given it's less than 2 weeks from now, and they have lost a major player, not to mention the emotional impact, but if the event goes ahead either then or at a later date, I would urge as many people as possible to support it, both as a mark of respect to Aidan, and because it is (by all accounts, I haven't had the chance to do it myself before) a fantastic day out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a fairly big thread HERE with funeral arrangements etc.

Aidan was a good mate of mine, I'm wiped out from the last two days. Emotionally drained.

Poor Aidan [Chaves], God love you man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

@cython: I'll be missing the DSI cycle myself this year unfortunately but I do hope it goes ahead. I don't think he'd have wanted it cancelled. I imagine something special will be done at it to mark this loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

cython wrote: »
    He was also the co-founder and one of the driving forces behind the Cycle4DSI/Lap De Gaps run from Blessington, scheduled for Saturday May 16th this year. Generally gets great support from the GC community, especially since they're such a support to us. Now this tragedy might cast doubt on that date given it's less than 2 weeks from now, and they have lost a major player, not to mention the emotional impact, but if the event goes ahead either then or at a later date, I would urge as many people as possible to support it, both as a mark of respect to Aidan, and because it is (by all accounts, I haven't had the chance to do it myself before) a fantastic day out!

I really hope it goes ahead as it would be a fitting tribute to hold the event in his name . He would have not wanted it to be cancelled or postponed.
    I know he trains hard to keep up with the pack on cycles. His efforts are on Strava . He is constantly dropping me messages to keep up the hard work.. Even if it kills me, im going to get that mountain .. For Aidan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Orion wrote: »
    @cython: I'll be missing the DSI cycle myself this year unfortunately but I do hope it goes ahead. I don't think he'd have wanted it cancelled. I imagine something special will be done at it to mark this loss.
    I really hope it goes ahead as it would be a fitting tribute to hold the event in his name . He would have not wanted it to be cancelled or postponed.
    I know he trains hard to keep up with the pack on cycles. His efforts are on Strava . He is constantly dropping me messages to keep up the hard work.. Even if it kills me, im going to get that mountain .. For Aidan.

Fully agree with ye both lads, I just wanted to point out the cycle itself as another of his contributions to the cycling community, and while I'm sure Aidan would not have wanted it cancelled, we don't know where people's heads might be just so soon either. I was just observing that an impact would be understandable, though obviously should not be assumed, and encouraging people to support the event regardless, as dashcamdanny put it, "For Aidan".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Very sad news that one who gave so much should lose their life while giving.
    The DSI is very close to me - my nephew has Down Syndrome and I see how much they depend on fundraising to provide services I terms of education and development. Lots of people give a lot. Aidan Lynam gave more than most.

DSI got me back I. A bike after a 15 year absence, when I rode a Ring of Kerry for DSI Kerry. A few years later my path crossed with Aidan Lynam on the legendary Tour de Munster charity cycle. My highlight was struggling up the Conor Pass in the wake of the fast lads.
    At the top I had a stomach upset and needed to get to Dinhle quickly. While the peleton stopped for photos I prepared to descend to dingle on my own. Aidan Lynam asked me was I going. He said he would lead me out in his BMW motorbike. I stuck to his wheel and he choose lines that made a descent I to wind effortless. Blasting sheep and tourist traffic out of the way to make it easy and more enjoyable for me, a complete stranger. That it seems sums up Aidan Lynam. A man I do not know but like many others he touched my life and left me with a beautiful memory.
    I hope he rests easy and that his family and friends take solace out of how he touched the lives of complete strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Such heartbreaking news. I have a daughter with DS and I was aware of some of the work Aidan did but it appears he helped people and charities all over and touched hearts wherever he went. My heart goes out to his wife and children and all who knew him.

Advertisement