Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a specific battery charger

• 04-05-2015 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a battery charger for the fly series r/c helicopter. Here are some pics of the helicopter and battery type. This was being thrown out by a friend so I took it to mess around with. I'm not sure what type of charger I'm looking for, so if anyone could point me to a USB or mains charger on ebay that would be great thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Apart from eBay you could try aliexpress.com

Personally, I regard aliexpress much better in every regard here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Apart from eBay you could try aliexpress.com

Personally, I regard aliexpress much better in every regard here :)

Any idea what type of charger is required? I'll give aliexpress a shot once I know what I'm looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a battery charger for the fly series r/c helicopter. Here are some pics of the helicopter and battery type. This was being thrown out by a friend so I took it to mess around with. I'm not sure what type of charger I'm looking for, so if anyone could point me to a USB or mains charger on ebay that would be great thanks.

I might have what you are looking for.

I'll be back in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

um. :(
    I'm into model railways myself mate. Nopers I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

My advice is to buy a proper computerized charger. It will cost you more initially but you'll be able to charge any battery out there, faster and better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

T-Maxx wrote: »
    My advice is to buy a proper computerized charger. It will cost you more initially but you'll be able to charge any battery out there, faster and better.

If you think you will get further into the hobby this is great advice. The battery you have is an nimh (7.2V). They are very tolerant of charging conditions so a simple trickle charger will do. The connection on the battery is a JST connector.

Its actually surprisingly difficult to find one that suits. You could go for this:
    http://www.componentshop.co.uk/600ma-smart-charger-for-7-2-8-4-9-6v-battery-packs.html
    Its the wrong connection type but they sell custom cables so you could ask them to swap the head or more usefully, to sell you the adapter cable to go with it. They also sell custom cables

However, if you think you will take up the hobby further, you will most likely end up with LiPo/lithium polymer batteries. These require a computerised charger as they need to change their charging voltage (over simplification but good approximation) as they reach different capacities in the charging process.

The default one is an iMax B6 - be careful of these if you buy on ebay as there are lots of clones, which isn't a bad thing but some of the clones are very badly put together. Hobbyking do a decent one called the Turnigy Accucell 6 which I use with no issues.

Advertisement