Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+1, best of luck! hopefully see you afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck tomorrow chickey! Hopefully see you after. Sniff out the Novices post-race stand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Thanks guys! Heading out now so no time for individual thanks but will see some of you tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck Chickey hope you have s good one

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

See you in the morning. Have a great race.

Hold on, heading out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Have a good one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck C. Run well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

:D Just saw your chip time !! :D

well done today C!!! great going and well deserved after all your hard work, hope you enjoyed the bulmers and the match :)

• Advertisement

Thanks! After I left to get my bag I got a text with my chip time 01:49:58! I was thrilled and had no one to share it with. I was sure I'd done 1:51 but since my watch battery went I wasn't sure.
    Celebratory pints in ryans went down very well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chickey2 wrote: »
    Thanks! After I left to get my bag I got a text with my chip time 01:49:58! I was thrilled and had no one to share it with. I was sure I'd done 1:51 but since my watch battery went I wasn't sure.

Hmmm, you weren't by any chance sitting at one of the small tables by the window?

whoop whoop!!! that's fantastic :) big congrats on the sub 1:50!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hmmm, you weren't by any chance sitting at one of the small tables by the window?

Yes, that was me! Thanks again. If it wasn't for the pacers I wouldn't have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Fantastic chickey!!!! Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yes, that was me! Thanks again. If it wasn't for the pacers I wouldn't have done it.

Af feck, I thought I recognised you! Should have said hello but was far from sure.
    Good job, you must have hung on really well coming off the hill as we were cutting it fine enough as it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done chickey, you must be chuffed. Training paid off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Brilliant C!!!! that's a sweet time :D

Great news. Well done. The plan works even better ;)

Ah delighted for you. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Oh that was tight!

Very well done on the sub-1hr50

I'm finally getting around to writing my report for the Dublin half marathon. This was my main goal race for the year so I wanted to take my time and do it properly. I'm so tired and emotional now I'm not so sure I'll do it justice, but here goes.

2014 was my first proper year if running. I went from C25k to marathon in 10 months. Crazy when I think back on it, but it wasn't planned, just a natural progression. After DMC 2014 I joined the graduate thread and got loads a great advice from Clearlier, Dubgal and others. I decided 2015 would be about improving on the times I'd done in 2014 but I'd stop at the half. I don't mean stop running, just not progress to the marathon like I did last year.

The half marathon plan I used was from the Pfitzinger and Latter book "Faster road running 5k to half marathon" . I went for the 12 week 50-76 km (31-47 mile) plan which suited the stage I was at. It suited my life too as I have a 12km commute to work and most of the weekday runs were about that.

My build up to the race wasn't great. On Thursday I stupidly wore a new pair of shoes to work. By that evening I had two skinned heels. Then Friday was my husband's birthday so we went out for dinner. We weren't out too late but I was conscious of getting enough sleep so forgot to charge my garmin that night. Slept fine, but woke up in a panic and just made it out in time. Forgot my bottle with electrolytes and had a flat garmin, but that wasn't going to stop me run so kept going. Got to the start about 9:20 and dropped my bag. I thought the way the toilets were arranged this year was bad and the queues were worse than I've ever seen them in the park.

By the time I was done it was time to line up. Going on my recent races I'd decided to aim for 1:50 so headed for the 1:50 pacers. Since I knew the garmin wouldn't make it I knew I needed to stick to them! Last year i did this race in 1:57 so I was confident of a pb. Started off well and the pace felt really easy. At mile 1 I was thinking I'd easily pass the pacers and fly ahead, but the sensible voice in my head (was is Dubgal?) said no, wait til mile 7. It was so congested I probably couldn't have gotten past them anyway. So I just settled into a nice pace in the centre of the road (I learnt my lesson about running at the side last year, nearly breaking my ankle on the Khyber).

Couldn't believe when I saw the 5k sign as it still felt easy. Nearly got creamed at the water station but managed to get some (although I still had the bottle in my hand when I finished!) I didn't like the narrow section leading up the the castleknock gate and was glad to get back on to Chesterfield avenue, but when we did, the sun came out and I started feeling the heat. Was glad to head off it again and managed to catch up with the pacers on whites road. Stayed on their heels for a good bit. I heard meno saying they'd be increasing the pace slightly for about three miles on the decline down Chesterfield so we could slow a bit on the last hill. That sounded good to me.

The fire engine on Chesterfield avenue was fantastic! It really gave me a boost. But the time we got to park gate, I was starting to fade. I knew about the horrible drag on the Chapelizoid road but it seemed much worse than I remembered. The heat was really getting to me and it seemed there was no breeze. It was at this stage I swore I was never running a half marathon again! The 10 miler was so much easier. The pacers were very gradually pulling ahead at this stage. I tried to keep up but my breathing started getting erratic so I eased off and used the wand. Calmed down a bit and dug in. It was all very quiet at this stage, very little chat going on. Next thing a woman bounds up to the guy beside me saying " oh hi X, how are you getting on, it's a great race isn't it!?" as if she'd just started. He just snorted at her so she replies "ah sure I'll catch you at the finish" and off she bounds full of energy! She obviously wasn't trying hard enough 😀

As we entered the park again I could still see the pacers but they were getting away. Took a few deep breaths and took on the hill. I managed to pass a good few people. Although it's steeper here I prefer it to the Chapelizoid road. At this stage there was quite a few walkers and I was so close to joining them. I reckoned I couldn't catch the pacers and I was being swamped with negative thoughts. Somehow I kept going. Did another bit of wand waving and that gave me a bit if a boost. I could still see the pacers so I just imagined a thread between them and me and tried to reel it in. I was so focused on this I was oblivious to everything else around me. I must have run past that poor guy who collapsed as meno said he saw him, but I don't remember.

When I saw the finish I tried to sprint but barely managed to speed up. The clock said 1:56 and I was a bit behind the 1:50 pacers so I guessed I did about 1:51. I was quite disappointed despite the 6 minute pb. I really wanted to get in front of the pacers but just couldn't do it.

Met up with a few of the boardsies which was another big improvement on last year when I knew no one. Thanks to dub gal and TFGR for the flapjacks. As I left everyone and headed for the bag drop I got a text with my chip time 1:49:58! Suddenly I was delighted, it's amazing how a small difference in time can change everything. I ended up walking to Ryan's as the traffic was terrible. Met a few friends there, had a steak sandwich, a few pints and watched the rugby. Happy days!

Today, I woke up feeling like I'd been beaten up. At least I know I gave it my all yesterday. I think I might be getting a cold too. Took the kids out on the bikes for a 7km walk to loosen up and tried a bit of foam rolling but my quads and calves are really tight.

Here's my times for 2014 compared to 2015.

Distance | PB 2014 | PB 2015
    5K|25:56|24:19
    5mile|n/a|40:00
    10K|52:53|49:12
    10M|1:33:48|1:28:50
    HM|1:57:31|1:49:58
    Marathon|4:33:56|

So what's next? I'm not sure. I'm following a recovery plan for the next two weeks. I think I'll try a 5k as that pb is from may and I've done a lot of training since then. I'm at a bit of a loss really! Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

1:49:58 - that's what's called perfect pacing! Well done indeed, it takes a lot of heart to keep it going right to the end like that when it looks like it's getting away from you. Delighted for you, you deserved that bit of good news.

Great report C, love how you won the battle with the negative thoughts which is sometimes harder than the run itself. Well done again, you've made some fantastic improvements this year.

Here's my times for 2014 compared to 2015.

Distance | PB 2014 | PB 2015
    5K|25:56|24:19
    5mile|n/a|40:00
    10K|52:53|49:12
    10M|1:33:48|1:28:50
    HM|1:57:31|1:49:58
    Marathon|4:33:56|

So what's next? I'm not sure. I'm following a recovery plan for the next two weeks. I think I'll try a 5k as that pb is from may and I've done a lot of training since then. I'm at a bit of a loss really! Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

No suggestions of where to go from here but your 10K and HM times are almost identical scary how close to what I was doing last summer/Sept ... scary how close ... and continuing the comparison, yes, you should be able to take nearly a min off that 5k time on a flat course :)

Brilliant report Chickey. That was a gutsy race! So happy that the chip got you the time you deserved!

As for what's next, I'd agree there's a good chunk to come off the 5K, especially with all your fast twitch muscles ;). If it was me I'd have to do a 5 miler to get the 39:xx but that's just my OCD.

Super progress this year, well done. I must get a copy of that book, it hasn't done Murph_D any harm either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Excellent work! :) well done for holding out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on a great run and report. you deserved the sub 1.50.

Thanks for the support guys!

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself as I'm sick. Went out for a recovery run on Monday but only managed 4km at 7:05 pace (11:26 for the aul ones) yet my heart rate was 157. I knew that wasn't right and felt crap so went home and sure enough I've succumbed to the dreaded lurgy. Not sick enough to miss work though! Haven't run since so I've decided to just write off the week and get well.

After reading bungy girls log about getting a 10 mile pb during the half, I did a few sums and realised so did I! Think I passed 10 miles in about 1:23 so that cheered me up.

• Advertisement

go you! more celebrations :) hope you're feeling better soon, no harm to have a week off after all your hard work

Great report, C! And great progress. Definitely more to come off the 5k (jingle bells?) and other times.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope I didn't infect you at the weekend!

I'm finally getting around to updating, not that there's much to update :$

I took last week off as I was sick, but I also think I needed a break mentally as well as physically.

On Sunday I had to travel to the America for work so spent all day folded in a plane. I'm here for the week and had great plans of getting loads of running in but it's not quite going to plan. Main problem is the weather. It's 30 degrees with 100% humidity. I went out for a run yesterday but only did 4.2km before I nearly passed out. My average heart rate was 162 despite a crawling pace of 6:53/km. I'm just not made for the heat. There is a gym, but work haven't paid the resort fee so I'd be charged $20 a day to use it :-(. I tried getting up early this morning as it would be cooler but the humidity means there's dense fog first thing and since I don't really know the area I reckoned I'd get lost.
    I have the morning off tomorrow so might try heading out once the fog clears. I'm supposed to be at a free bar now but I'm cosy in my bed surfing the net. I must be getting old!

I got a rejection from the London marathon today. I'm kind of relieved really. It's made me realise I want to concentrate on shorter distances. I'm going to sign up for the jingle bells and aim for that. Just realised I'll be in a new age category for that race! I really am getting old. Older, but faster!

on the plus side, your ranking will shoot up in your new age category :)

that humidity is an absolute killer, don't blame you for taking it easy. but missing the free bar, that's a bit extreme!

Ugh heat and humidity - my worst nightmare, with the dreadmill a close second...don't envy your options :rolleyes:

Great re Jingle Bells (and Ryan's :D?). And to getting faster :).

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great re Jingle Bells (and Ryan's :D?). And to getting faster :).

Oh yes, will pop into Ryans!
    Managed 5k this morning, a bit faster. I'm now tucking in to the perfect recovery breakfast: fried chicken on a massive waffle with a load of strawberries, blueberries and peaches ( and a bucket of coffee) Gotta love the deep south!

• Advertisement

Oh yes, will pop into Ryans!
    Managed 5k this morning, a bit faster. I'm now tucking in to the perfect recovery breakfast: fried chicken on a massive waffle with a load of strawberries, blueberries and peaches ( and a bucket of coffee) Gotta love the deep south!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

yum to the waffle with the fruit though :D

Firedance wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

yum to the waffle with the fruit though :D

Yeah it was a bit weird eating fried chicken at breakfast but they eat it all day here!

Yeah it was a bit weird eating fried chicken at breakfast but they eat it all day here!

soul food! watch out for the sweet tea too, will put you into diabetic shock!

where are you anyway?

annapr wrote: »
    soul food! watch out for the sweet tea too, will put you into diabetic shock!

where are you anyway?

For some reason I only just saw this post, I was in Savannah, Georgia. Gorgeous city and the people are so friendly. Shame about the heat and torrential rain! Anyway, I'm home now and so glad I live and run in Ireland as I'm much better suited to this weather!

Got home last Saturday at 6am and had to go to a wedding so grabbed a few hours sleep and headed out. Got to bed about midnight and slept through til 12 the next day!

Eventually managed to get out for a run on Monday. Just did 6km easy but it really was easy! So nice to run in this lovely weather.
    6km @6:17 HR 153.

Wed 7: Still taking it easy after the illness and travel so did part of my commute rather then the full thing. Ran from St James to Red Cow along the Luas line and canal. I couldn't believe how many people were out running tonight. The canal especially was crowded with runners. You'd know the marathon was soon! HR was a bit higher than Monday, but it is all uphill!
    6.1km@6:18 HR 157

Fri 9: Was planning on another 6km but realised as I was leaving work that I had no Luas card and no money so I'd have to run the full way home! It was a lovely evening though so I didn't mind. I had a slight niggle in my right hip. I don't know why as I've been so lazy the last few weeks and it only started this week. It doesn't stop me running but it woke me a few time last night so should really get it checked out.
    As I approached Dodder Valley Park it was getting dark so I wondered should I keep going or run through the park. There were still lots of dog walkers around so I decided to keep on through the park. Next thing I hear some footsteps behind me and four young lads appear, two on each side. Now they were only about 11 or 12 and smaller than me, but some of the 11/12 year olds out after dark in Tallaght can be scary! I automatically expected to get some abuse. One of them says to me "do you do a lot of running?", "Yes, I do" I said. Then he says "We love running! We've been running for 4 hours around the park and I'm not even tired!" Turns out they were lovely lads and they want to run marathons when they're old enough. They ran with me for a little bit until they got bored of my slow pace and sprinted off saying "one more lap of the park til I have to go home". Hilarious. It really cheered me up and I had a smile on my face the rest of the way home.
    11.4km@6:41 HR156

I'm not sure now what to do tomorrow. My hip is still niggling, but only really when going upstairs so it's not too bad. I'm planning on starting a 5k plan next week with jingle bells in mind. I was thinking of doing the same and murphd and using the P&L 5K plan but jumping in a bit later. Might just do 7k or so rather than a long run.

welcome back :) there are a few hip tips going on over on my log, have a look, I've found them quite good after only a day! the James Dunne one and the pigeon pose are particularly good imo

thank god those lads turned out to be ok!!

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    welcome back :) there are a few hip tips going on over on my log, have a look, I've found them quite good after only a day! the James Dunne one and the pigeon pose are particularly good imo

thank god those lads turned out to be ok!!
    Thanks FD. Tried a few of those stretches and don't know if I'm imagining it or not but it feels better already! Could be the wine I drank either :-?

Welcome home, C!

Did you know that Savannah has the biggest Paddys Day parade in the U.S. outside NYC? I bet they told you that! :)

Lovely story about the lads in Tallaght.

One of them says to me "do you do a lot of running?", "Yes, I do" I said. Then he says "We love running! We've been running for 4 hours around the park and I'm not even tired!" Turns out they were lovely lads and they want to run marathons when they're old enough.

Awwwww :)

Well my 5k plan is not going well! I only did one run last week hence the lack of updates. There's no single reason for not running, just a combination of things, being out of a routine, hip niggle, cough, bad weather, tiredness, having to paint the kitchen...blah blah blah. Party weekend is this weekend so no running. I am going to head to the marathon on Monday so I'm hoping that will inspire me. Firedance, where is the novice support station going to be? I might join you!
    I got my first present today, a garmin fr225! I'm still figuring out how to work it, but once I get sorted I'll have no excuse not to get out and run.

Oh brilliant! I'll need help with nop's strawberries :D, am planning to be at the junction of miltown & clonskeagh roads, need to finalise exact spot at weekend.

The new watch will def get your running mojo back!

Happy Birthday then possibly if new watch is first present?

Happy Birthday C :D enjoy the celebrations!

I suspect I am late with the birthday greetings, so hope you had a great day. Happy new age group :D

Hey C! have you tried out the new watch yet? any running going on? :)

Double post

• Advertisement
Advertisement