Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on PB, defiantly not great day for running, good mornings work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just catching up here C, well done on the PB, especially in those conditions, even if you felt it was soft!! Nice to see progress after a few weeks on the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done C. You ran your own race on a testing day. Nice result considering all the miles in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ah, that's why we missed you. The Air Corps group. Nearly missed Mr & Mrs Kennyg in that.

Well done on the PB, great going.

Absolutely MANKY weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Congrats on the pb! Your training looks like it is going very well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Thanks everyone. I'm on my phone so can't do fancy multi quote but I do appreciate it.

I'm having a bit if a roller coaster week. The race being on Saturday disrupted my routine but it meant I could spend Sunday on the sofa watching the Olympic marathon which was pleasant! After I did a very slow "run" with my 6 year old but there was lots of stops and she didn't stop talking the whole time! I didn't even bother with the watch but I'd say we did near 4km.

Mon 22: On Monday I wasn't sure what to do as it's normally a rest day but I didn't really need it. After lots of messing around I eventually got out with both kids but had to turn back after 1km due to rain. They really need to harden up! So only did 2 slow km.

Tues 23: I had a day off Tuesday but I set my alarm for the usual time so I could get out before OH went to work. When I woke up felt awful. No energy no desire to run. Went back to sleep and didn't wake up til 10. I felt bad then that I'd done so little since the race. I shouldn't have needed all that rest and I just felt so lazy.

Wed 24: I finally managed to get out the door and what a fantastic morning it was! My legs were so fresh, the weather was perfect and I felt great! Wednesday is session day but the plan said to skip it if I'd raced on Saturday. The session was 12km with 6@mp. I set off thinking I'd run 3 km and see how I felt. I ran just looking at HR so when I got to 3km I checked my pace and couldn't believe it when I saw I was at MP already. It just felt so easy and my HR was grand. Kept going and did the full session no problem. I've definitely noticed my HR is going down for the same paces. I guess that's the plan working. Total 13km @5:47 (6km@5:31) HR 155

Thursday 26: Recovery run. Nice 6.3km @6:48 HR 142. Quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

chickey2 wrote: »
    I ran just looking at HR so when I got to 3km I checked my pace and couldn't believe it when I saw I was at MP already. It just felt so easy and my HR was grand. Kept going and did the full session no problem. I've definitely noticed my HR is going down for the same paces. I guess that's the plan working.

Yup! Great work and great progress being made. Good for you :cool:.

Got my first 20 miler of the plan done! I was down in Clare again this weekend so had to be at 12 noon mass so was under pressure! I woke at 7 and the lazy sod in my brain kept telling me I didn't really have to do this, I was lovely and cozy in bed and so close to nodding off again but then I thought of this log and having to say I was too lazy to get up and run. If Firedance and TBL can go for long runs after transatlantic flights then I've no excuse. Thanks guys!

So before I could change my mind I was up and out. I didn't have time for breakfast do just had a gel and headed out. I was still half asleep and at one stage I actually wondered if I was really out running or was I just dreaming! It was a gorgeous morning though and I soon woke up. At about half way I needed a bathroom stop so headed into Dunnes in Ennis. I remembered I hadn't brought any tights which I really needed for the dress I was wearing later so ended up buying them, opening the box and shoving them in my flip belt! Now that multitasking for you!

I only had a vague route in mind so ended up doing a bit of exploring around Ennis and even did 4 laps of a track I passed near the hospital. It was mad running around the narrow streets of ennis with practically no traffic or people. A bit different from the fleah last week!

By 22 km I was getting tired but bought a lucozade sport which really picked me up. The last 4 km were the worst but looking at the paces i didn't slow too much. Got back to the house for a quick snack and a shower and was in mass before the priest! Followed that by a huge roast beef dinner, happy days!
    Total 32km (20 miles) @6:22 HR 158.

Weekly total 62.6 plus another 6 or so I didn't wear the watch for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Got my first 20 miler of the plan done! I was down in Clare again this weekend so had to be at 12 noon mass so was under pressure! I woke at 7 and the lazy sod in my brain kept telling me I didn't really have to do this, I was lovely and cozy in bed and so close to nodding off again but then I thought of this log and having to say I was too lazy to get up and run. If Firedance and TBL can go for long runs after transatlantic flights then I've no excuse. Thanks guys!

So before I could change my mind I was up and out. I didn't have time for breakfast do just had a gel and headed out. I was still half asleep and at one stage I actually wondered if I was really out running or was I just dreaming! It was a gorgeous morning though and I soon woke up. At about half way I needed a bathroom stop so headed into Dunnes in Ennis. I remembered I hadn't brought any tights which I really needed for the dress I was wearing later so ended up buying them, opening the box and shoving them in my flip belt! Now that multitasking for you!

I only had a vague route in mind so ended up doing a bit of exploring around Ennis and even did 4 laps of a track I passed near the hospital. It was mad running around the narrow streets of ennis with practically no traffic or people. A bit different from the fleah last week!

By 22 km I was getting tired but bought a lucozade sport which really picked me up. The last 4 km were the worst but looking at the paces i didn't slow too much. Got back to the house for a quick snack and a shower and was in mass before the priest! Followed that by a huge roast beef dinner, happy days!
    Total 32km (20 miles) @6:22 HR 158.

Weekly total 62.6 plus another 6 or so I didn't wear the watch for.

Real multitasking would have entailed wearing the tights on the run home to aid recovery :)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Real multitasking would have entailed wearing the tights on the run home to aid recovery :)

TbL

I don't think even Tbl has bought tights on an LSR! (Tang may know better...)

Great going, C!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great work C!
    Have you a target time in mind for dcm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

annapr wrote: »
    I don't think even Tbl has bought tights on an LSR! (Tang may know better...)

Great going, C!

No, but I've seen him take a pair off before we went for a run though. I didn't ask.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great work C!
    Have you a target time in mind for dcm?

Up til now I've just been saying sub 4 hours. Going on last year's half time mcmillan says I could do it in 3:50 and Jack Daniels says 3:47. I had thought that was totally unachievable but as I get fitter I'm starting to believe I could target 3:50. I'm going to wait til the half this year to decide.
    I'm following the meno plan which has increasing distances at MP. I was doing 5:40 min/km pace but now have increased it to 5:35 (which would be a 3:55 marathon)

Nice job C! Lol on the tights, we will have to assume TBL knows all about tights and their recovery properties :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

So impressed you got back for mass as well that has to get you a target time in DCM at least.

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    So impressed you got back for mass as well that has to get you a target time in DCM at least.

Well DCM is on a Sunday this year.....pretty sure I wouldn't make 12 o clock mass though! I'll be aiming to get to mcgrattans that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on the 20 miler ! How many of these are in the plan? Is the plan board specific ? Hope the tights remained intact !

Well done on the 20 miler ! How many of these are in the plan? Is the plan board specific ? Hope the tights remained intact !

That's super going C. Good for you.

I'm lying on my bed with my feet up! It's been a tough week, both running and non running things. I'm still in one piece though!

Tues 30: easy commute. Felt great today despite the 20 miler two days previously. The ocd brigade will hate that I did 12.99km @6:02 HR 151.

Wed 31: 4/3/2/1 mile@MP. This was a tough mid week session. I took an hour off work in the morning otherwise I would have had to get up at 5am! I ran to the phoenix park, did a small lap and then into work. It was a gorgeous morning, made even more pleasant by the rabbits and deer in the park. It was very quiet, I felt I had the place to myself. The MP sections felt good and I hardly noticed the time flying by. I took Anna's advice and programmed the watch in miles but it converted it to km for me so excuse the mix of imperial/metric
    4 miles @5:30min/km
    3 miles @5:37
    2 miles @5:35
    1 mile @5:16

Don't know what happened at the last one!
    Total 22km

Thurs 01: recovery. Was wrecked today so just did 5.2km@6:49 HR 137. Felt better after it which I guess is the whole point!

Fri 02: took a rest day as I was exhausted.

Sat 03: had hoped to get out but ended up clearing out my wardrobe which took way longer than expected. It's a form if cross training right?

Sun 04: 29 km LSR with 2x5km@MP. I was up early again for this. I took the luas to the museum stop so ran from blackhall place to the walkinstown roundabout along the DCM route and then home. I felt rubbish at the beginning. I think it's the distance catching up on me. HR was a bit high so kept slowing. Looking at the data now I wasn't going that slow, but my pace was all over the place. Took a wrong turn in the park (it so much easier when there's marshals and comes!) but didn't go too far wrong. The park was packed with runners today despite the miserable drizzle. No rabbits or deer today, just lots of slugs! The first 5km@mp went great but that's because it started heading down tower Road so it was almost all downhill. The second 5km was towards the end of the run though and started at the walkinstown roundabout where I then headed up the greenhills Road. Now that was hard! I was tired and it was uphill and my HR went way up. I felt like stopping several times but kept telling myself if I couldn't do 5km at this pace then how was I going to do a marathon! Finally did it and crawled the last 4km home.
    First 5km@mp in 5:29 HR 165
    Second 5km@mp in 5:35 HR 180 (!)
    Total 29km

Weekly total 70.6km. Very tired now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

that's another great week's work. Well done.

Great work C. If its any consolation I always find that section after Walkinstown Roundabout pretty draining for some reason. Had serious doubts on it during DCM 15 but recovered by the time I got to Terenure. Your training is going well and particularly so on those longer runs for this stage of the schedule.

Had a mixed week this week including a mini meltdown on Wednesday but a great 20 miler today.

Tues 6: easy commute. I didn't sleep well thanks to the heat and I couldn't believe how warm and humid it was a 6am. Struggled a bit with this and was a slower than usual
    Total 11.8km@6:19 HR 154

Wed 7: plan was 19km(12miles) with 4 x 2miles@HMP. I actually had nightmares about this. Didn't sleep well again and woke at 5am in a panic. I'd set the alarm for 5:30 but stupidly forgot it would be dark and I hadn't laid our any high viz stuff. I checked my resting HR before getting up and it was 72! I kept telling myself I was mad to be up at this hour and why on earth would I want to do a marathon? I got up anyway and got dressed. I was about to have a gel before I set out but realised I would puke if I took it. I was so stressed out i was almost in tears. Thankfully sense prevailed and I went back to bed. I felt awful for the rest of the day and even left work an hour early and went home for a nap. It's the first proper session I've missed so I'm just writing it off. I had a look at the 2013 thread for the first meno plan and was surprised to see a lot of people struggled with this session (if they did it at all) so I didn't feel so bad. I guess it's just accumulation of fatigue and the humid weather doesn't help.

Thurs 8: after a massive sleep I felt a lot better. I considered trying the session but took the easy option which was hard enough! I usually do a short recovery on Thursday but did a commute as I'd nothing to recover from.
    Total 13.7km @6:11 HR 156

Fri 9: easy commute. A bit cooler this morning but still feeling a bit off. HR was a good bit lower though.
    Total 12.4km @6:12 HR 149

Sat 10: rest, but managed 15,000 steps over the day so not much proper rest!

Sun 11: 20 miles with 10 easy and 10 steady. I headed to phoenix park for this. The plan was two laps of the Frank Duffy route but I got a bit lost so it was bit random! I've done that bloody race three times and checked the map last night but still got it wrong. Anyway, it went really well. The first 10 miles were great. Had to push the effort towards the end but managed to keep the pace. I felt so much better, much more energy and just lighter (even though my weight hasn't changed). Average pace for the first 10 miles was 6:13 and for the second "steady" section was 5:49. My HR was high for the last section though Ave 179.
    Total 32km.

Weekly total 69.9km! Typical. Not bad considering I missed a session. Hopefully that's the hump week over.

69.9??!!! :eek: between yourself and Anna.... :p

Well done on the 20 miler, I remember mine fondly although I had top notch company for that one :) You're going great, it's a tough plan there's no doubt about it so no big deal to miss a session at this point.

Firedance wrote: »
    69.9??!!! :eek: between yourself and Anna.... :p

Well done on the 20 miler, I remember mine fondly although I had top notch company for that one :) You're going great, it's a tough plan there's no doubt about it so no big deal to miss a session at this point.

It's 43.4 miles if that makes you feel better! ;)

Well done on the 20 miler ! sounds like you enjoyed it

Happy enough with this week. No fifth run yet again but unfortunately there's not enough hours in the week!

Tues 13: easy commute. So dark this morning I had to get the led lights out. It was still quite warm though so it was pleasant enough. I felt great despite the 20 miler and ended up a MP by the end of the run!
    Total 11.4km@6:04 HR 145

Wed 14: 22km with 16@MP. I had no problem this morning getting up and out early. I was commuting again so decided to do a few laps of tymon to make up the distance. Got there just as it got light. I won't be able to run there at this hour unless I get a head light. I settled into MP easy enough and the time flew by. There's a guy I often see in tymon in the mornings out for his walk who always says hello. Today I passed him three times, on the third pass he said "would you ever go home and have your breakfast!" :) It's a great feeling to have over a half marathon done before work!
    Total 22km, 3@6:36, 16@5:36, 3@6:06 HR 157

Thu 15: recovery. 6.3km@6:43 HR 141

Fri 16: rest.

Sat 27: 18 miles alternating 2 miles easy with 2 miles MP. I usually do my long run on Sunday but I had a busy weekend including a night out on Saturday so knew I had to get the long run done early Saturday or it wouldn't get done. As I was short of time this was another laps of tymon run. I programmed the watch so I wouldn't have to think much and set off. It's funny how I said to OH as I left I was "only" doing 18 miles! I had a bagel with jam before I left and 500ml water plus zero tab and then picked up a bottle of powerade at the basketball arena about half way. It was horrible but did the job and perked me up.
    Total 29 km, MP sections @ 5:35/5:43/5:39/5:44

Weekly total: 68.7km

So I'll doing the half next Saturday. The plan is to race it but I'm not convinced. It's been so long since I've done half marathon pace I'm kind I'd scared I won't be able. I missed the HMP session last week. I'll have to just trust the plan though, it's written to incorporate a half at race pace. My pb is 1:49:59 so I think I'll just head out with the 1:50 pacers and if I feel up to it at 10 miles then push on.

I feel crap after the weekend. Lots of crap food, late nights and way too much alcohol. Will do my best to be good this week!

I signed up for the "run the line" race in November. I was just thinking I should have a post marathon goal to stop me vegetating once it's over. I just hope the weather is a bit better than last year!

I signed up for the "run the line" race in November. I was just thinking I should have a post marathon goal to stop me vegetating once it's over. I just hope the weather is a bit better than last year!

Brilliant! a partner in crime :D did you sign up for the long or the short course?

Best of luck on Saturday, your plan sounds like a good one as no doubt you'll be able to push on at mile 10.

Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant! a partner in crime :D did you sign up for the long or the short course?

I signed up for the short course. Should be plenty!

Dublin half marathon
    Chip time:1:49:15
    Previous pb:1:49:59

Managed to squeeze in a pb! Just about. Considering I almost didn't run at all, I'm quite happy with that. I'd been feeling tired during the week and had a scratchy throat and just felt blah. When I saw the weather forecast I couldn't bear a repeat of the 10 miler so I seriously considered pulling out. I had a list of excuses but then I was on here last night and everyone was so positive, I couldn't come on here today and say I wussed out! So I told myself I'd be happy doing sub 2 hours, all I had to do was run it.
    So glad I did. The weather wasn't as bad a few weeks ago, although it was very warm. I lined up in wave 2 but wasn't sure where to go. The pacers only arrived a few minutes before the start so there was a bit of moving around. I ended up between the 1:50 and 2:00 pacers so was happy there. The start was congested as usual but I didn't notice as many going at the wrong pace.
    I kept the 1:50 pacers in view and just ran. I saw TGFR with her balloons but missed aquinn despite looking out for her! By mile 6 the pacers were pulling away and I was feeling like I'd never make it. I took my first (and only) gel at this stage and resigned myself to not getting a pb (despite promising myself I wasn't aiming for one!)
    So I relaxed a bit and before I knew it, the gap was closing on the pacers. When we got to the start of the last hill, the DJ there started playing uptown funk which really spurred me up the hill and I realised I might just catch the pacers. At this stage last year I was barely running, but this year I felt so much better. When we hit furze Road I knew I'd catch them. Meno lost his balloon so had borrowed one of TFGRs polka dot ones so I just focused on that! He turned around and shouted me on so I just went flying past him. Looking at the stats, at this stage I was at 10 k pace and managed to beat my max HR (which was 205 but is now 208!) I was so glad to cross the line.
    Thanks do much to TFGR for the lovely flapjacks and thanks to all the supporters (even though I didn't see you!)
    I vegging on the sofa now with a nice cold cidre, think I'll need an early night though.

• Advertisement

Meno lost his balloon so had borrowed one of TFGRs polka dot ones so I just focused on that! He turned around and shouted me on so I just went flying past him.

Lol I hope someone got a pic of that :D well done on the PB, funny how once you relaxed the pace came naturally.

Good stuff C congrats on the pb.

Well done, C ! Great result. Enjoy le cidre :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, C - nice going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done on the PB, mighty training going on here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done, C... And well deserved with the training you've been doing. Sorry I missed you yesterday, sorry I missed the flapjacks too!! :)

Lots of grit on show C. Package your success for the marathon. Congrats on a fine run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice work C, great finish. 3:55 still the plan?

Singer wrote: »
    Nice work C, great finish. 3:55 still the plan?

Yeah I think I'll stick with that. If I can hold a pace of between 5:30 and 5:35 min/km that would be about right. I'm going to aim for that for all the MP runs left on the plan. I'll be happy with anything under 4 though!
    It's getting real now!

• Advertisement

That's super going. No chance of seeing you as crowds around the pacers were massive.

Well done, glad you turned up and raced.

I saw meno with the polka dot, gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Yeah I think I'll stick with that. If I can hold a pace of between 5:30 and 5:35 min/km that would be about right. I'm going to aim for that for all the MP runs left on the plan. I'll be happy with anything under 4 though!
    It's getting real now!

Brilliant result Saturday! Delighted for you. Head down now for a few more solid weeks of training, and I look forward to seeing you achieve your goal! You should feel very confident.

After my great day on Saturday I haven’t run since :(
    I didn't get a chance for a recovery run on Sunday and then started feeling sick on Monday. I'm off work now and heading to the doctor later. I just feel rubbish, no energy, slight temperature, headache etc. I guess hanging around in wet clothes in the park is not a good idea (I think someone told me that before!)
    I don't expect the doctor will cure me but I need a note for work!
    At least I have lots of time to read all the race reports.

A lot of moany people about in the last few days, myself included. With the weather changing everyone is getting sick.

Rest/hot fluids/vitamins. Mind yourself.

Mind yourself everyone seems to be sick deffo the change in weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Might as well get the cold out of the way during a recovery week! Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Might as well get the cold out of the way during a recovery week! Don't worry about it.

Yeah, at least it's not marathon week!
    Back in work now so feeling a lot better. Will get a nice easy run in this weekend.

Well done on the half - great that you could pb despite feeling poorly . Hope you feel better now and are ready to get stuck to the last week of marathon traing proper ! Now that I'm back in the big smoke for work I'm wondering if any of the runnng commuters are from the boards ! There sure is a lot of them !

Well this week's update won't take long! Only one run, today. I was good and listened to the doctor and my body and I'm glad I did as I felt good today.
    The plan was for 22 miles but I knew that would be mad after 6 days off so I decided to do an Ososlo special and run loops of a nearby park. That way I was close to home if I needed to stop. It's almost exactly a mile loop so I planned to get 10 done and I'd be happy. My HR was quite high despite a very slow pace. I feel fine but it could be still recovering from the virus or just lost fitness. I set the watch so I could only see my HR and tried to keep it low and not worry about pace. I quite enjoyed the loops, more than I thought I would. Managed 10 then headed home. It was slow and HR was relatively high but I'm glad I got out at all.

Total 18km @6:40 HR 160

Midweek and I'm back on track.

Tues 3: easy commute. The dark mornings mean I have to take the long way around tymon rather than through it but the distance was fine although I was quite slow.
    Total 12.2km @6:34 HR 153

Wed 4: plan said 14 miles with 10@MP. Clearlier recommended doing 90% of this so I converted to km, calculated 90%, added two apples and a furlong and ended up with 20km with 14@MP! I was a bit nervous of doing this mp session and during the warm up was convincing myself I couldn't do it. Luckily another part of my brain told me to give it a go , if I didn't try I wouldn't do it. So I did it and was delighted. I didn't quite make the full 20km as I was late leaving the house (5:45am :o) and was a bit late for work, but I did do the 14@MP. The splits ranged from 5:35 to 5:44.
    Total 19.2km, 14@5:39 HR 167

I'll continue the plan as normal now and hope I don't get sick again!

I was late leaving the house (5:45am :o)

:eek: That's the middle of the night !

Well done on the MP Kms and especially on the conversion calculations :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement