Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell St Dublin Bike Thieves Everyday

Options
  • 04-05-2015 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Anyone going to Cineworld, Pennys or anywhere round this part of Parnell St/Capel St Dublin be wide with your bikes. Theres a gang of the local scum kids
    constantly on the look out for easy targets. Today someone must have left some stuff in a saddle bag( Bit Daft ) and like a plague of cockroaches they were all over it. Guards are invisible round this part of town so lets make it as hard for the scum as possible or a least dis-able the brakes before leaving your bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The tail end of Parnell Street just before Capel Street is seriously dodgy. Wouldn't be too keen on walking through there when it's quiet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look in Cumberland Street market (The Hill/Tuggers) early Saturday mornings for 'missing' bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

In fairness the area s not too bad even on to North King St and any problems come from the same group of skanks. It was a lot worst when the Delux bar was there before the Black Sheep, a scumhole of unimaginable proportions where some of the patrons were so inbred they were their own parents.I pity the poor sods who have them now and hope the never return

spurious wrote: »
    Look in Cumberland Street market (The Hill/Tuggers) early Saturday mornings for 'missing' bikes.

why go all the way there when theres a huge second hand bike yard (Bikes for the Community) right opposite where loads of bikes get stolen ( From the Community) the Guards seem to do any thing to avoid walking by the place. Deer Stalker and a pipe maybe or Colombo could crack the case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well, it's not that far away (just the far side of O'Connell Street), but from having taught some of the gentleman thieves, I know that's where many of the bikes end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Aard wrote: »
    The tail end of Parnell Street just before Capel Street is seriously dodgy. Wouldn't be too keen on walking through there when it's quiet.

I don't think it's that dangerous, some small shops and an old folks complex, it is usually quiet around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I have had three bikes and a wheel stolen over the years.

It is such a sad sad thing that we still have such crime going on to such a degree, from vandalism to theft of bike parts to theft of bikes.

Yet there doesn't seem to be any Garda commitment to doing anything about it. It cannot be 'rocket science', just police work, SURELY.

although,
    http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/man-caught-trying-to-steal-garda-bicycle-31114509.html
    :D

The Gardai do also have a leaflet
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/CP%20Info%20Sheet%20-%20VS4%20-%20Bicycles-2010-01-11.pdf

Garda statistics that are produced annually still detail 'theft of pedal cycles', this seems Dickensian or Flann O'Brien type stuff.

Over 2,000 bikes are stolen every year.

People involved in bike thefts are obviously involved in general criminal activities, I think it is worth the while of the Gardai giving them some attention.

Many other countries that I have been to where you find bikes everywhere, Germany, Austria, Japan, don't look to have the same problems, people don't have elaborate/very secure locks on their bikes in general in these places, why is Ireland different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

spurious wrote: »

Slightly off-topic, but we've always called this "Stones" market. If you live in Dublin, it's definitely worth visiting - for cultural interest, rather than as a decent market! Any time I've passed through in recent years, it's been mostly piles of **** laid out on the ground, and knocked-off stuff. My brother retrieved his bike from there when we were kids. I think the exchange was fairly amicable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

those gangs of kids have been around for years, usually 14-16 yrs of age, always going up and down checking bikes for cheap locks . not much the gardai can do, just use a good lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's actually OK. I used to work there. Not the most sightly that said.

Would definitely be leaving my bike in a secure lock up somewhere though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

anncoates wrote: »
    Not the most sightly that said.

you, or the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

you, or the area?

Unlike the area, I appear to be in reverse gentrification these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

those gangs of kids have been around for years, usually 14-16 yrs of age, always going up and down checking bikes for cheap locks . not much the gardai can do, just use a good lock.

I had to laugh when I read this, No kind of lock will keep these little cnuts from taking a bike if they want it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Don't agree with that at all. That area is pretty okay tbh.

Befor XMass saw one of the students from the language school running up and grabbing a scumbag mid thieve after a little bit of a tussle the scumbag got to the other side of the road and had to check to shout back at the fella "you shoulda got a better lock" unfortunately when he was going backwards he was almost creamed by a taxi coming up Parnell st, so close but he survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I've parked my bike almost daily in that area using a D Lock and never had a problem.

A good lock is key - and that is one that will take too much time to cut through. Most of the bike thieves frequenting that bike area and ( the one further up outside the centra ) are opportunists. They walk past with a wire cutters hidden in their jacket looking for something they can cut through in a few seconds. Any longer and they risk drawing attention to themselves ( usually a photo taken on a phone and send to the guards ).

A good D lock will need different tools, the sort that the local opportunists cannot carry around with them. These are usually used by organised thieves who patrol in Vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Must be just me so. It's the only place in Dublin where somebody has tried to mug me. Which has completely coloured my views of the place! Incidentally I do spend a lot of time in that neck of the woods so it could just be the odds were stacked against me. I still see a lot of shady characters passing through that street and into the markets area, Halston St etc.

The Capel Pub on the way to Halston st is a bit of a scum magnet when the lads from the market are gone alright and there was 3-4 skank/drunk/sc*m having a public meeting in the lane behind capel st last night but no worse than anywhere. Just found out a mates wifes bike was stolen on Henry St the other day, brazen Cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

There are some unsavory characters. There is a few homeless shelters in the area with the attendant drug and alcohol problems.

But for the most part people go about their business quietly, there's rarely any trouble except for occasional junkies shouting at each other. There is a large population of foreign expats and students living and working in the area that give it a nice feel, imo.

Anyway the point is crime when it happens is mostly opportunistic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Having social housing in the immediate city centre is ridiculous for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Soapboxing and personal feuding posts removed. Both users in this case should not post again in this thread or bans will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Master Lock Street Cuffs are well worth the investsment.

1286805511256-rko3310l6rld-399-75.jpg

MasterLock_StreetCuff_PL.jpg

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

not yet wrote: »
    I had to laugh when I read this, No kind of lock will keep these little cnuts from taking a bike if they want it..

Nah, kids like these usually only have a mid-sized bolt-cutters and are limited to cheap cable locks. They're not running about with a battery-powered angle-grinder so a bike locked with at least one strong lock should be enough to deter them.

Basically, any lock can be broken, but usually the expensive heavy-duty ones can only be dealt with by more organised gangs dedicated to stealing high-end bikes. I had a bike locked up at the top of Capel Street for years and no harm came of it. I always double locked it though. A U-lock and a cable, even though it was a relatively cheap bike. The main thing you're looking for is deterrent factor. Two locks of different types, ideally one U-Lock and a good quality cable lock, should make it too much effort to rob the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Agree with the above. I've had an attempt on my bike recently on Dame St at about 1am on a Saturday with hundreds of people walking by it. Their bolt cutters barely made a dent in my lock so my guess is they were just out to steal whatever bike had a lock attached that could easily be cut through. When they realised mine wasnt an easy task they moved on, no doubt to rob someones bike attached with one of those €3 Lidl cable locks.

Grid. wrote: »
    Having social housing in the immediate city centre is ridiculous for a start.

How so..?

Where you like it to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Typical usual over reacting nonsense being spouted in this thread

Parnell street is in the city centre -no surprise bikes get stolen. Its also worth noting this happens all over the city centre and surrounding areas. If you have a bike and its not properly locked/secured, dont be surprised if it is stolen.

Also what proof is there regarding the bikes in the community place? Its pretty pathetic to be able to bad mouth based on what exactly?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agree with the above. I've had an attempt on my bike recently on Dame St at about 1am on a Saturday with hundreds of people walking by it. Their bolt cutters barely made a dent in my lock so my guess is they were just out to steal whatever bike had a lock attached that could easily be cut through. When they realised mine wasnt an easy task they moved on, no doubt to rob someones bike attached with one of those €3 Lidl cable locks.

Funny you should mention Lidi Cable locks, My daughter being the unwise street person that she is locked her bike outside smock alley with one and had it swiped...

The look of disbelief on her face was funny..

It's not fcuking easy leaving your bike locked, I have a good road bike and it's a job in itself locking it, saddle, taking off front wheel etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

The Dublin Cycling Campaign has just released the results of a survey that they conducted last year in the form of an infographic. They estimate that at least 20K bicycles were stolen in 2013. Looks like a big problem.

http://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/bike-theft-survey-results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I had reason to park my bike up at Parnell Square and Parnell Street a few times since Christmas and felt a bit uneasy about it. But in that survey it said the place where I would usually park my bike, beside Penneys, is the hotspot for theft in the area. So you never know.

A good lock, and two locks if possible.

Advertisement