Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell St Dublin Bike Thieves Everyday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Master Lock Street Cuffs are well worth the investsment.

1286805511256-rko3310l6rld-399-75.jpg

MasterLock_StreetCuff_PL.jpg

As a second lock. Having just one lock on a bike is daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yep, always use two locks, with at least one of them going through both wheel and frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I've parked my bike almost daily in that area using a D Lock and never had a problem.

A good lock is key - and that is one that will take too much time to cut through. Most of the bike thieves frequenting that bike area and ( the one further up outside the centra ) are opportunists. They walk past with a wire cutters hidden in their jacket looking for something they can cut through in a few seconds. Any longer and they risk drawing attention to themselves ( usually a photo taken on a phone and send to the guards ).

A good D lock will need different tools, the sort that the local opportunists cannot carry around with them. These are usually used by organised thieves who patrol in Vans.

Some pics from the web here for you but I've seen the same U-Lock in Henry Street last winter

broken-ulock-schloss-radpropaganda.jpg

IMG_3541.JPG

2311445136_143f541254_m.jpg

526410206_e8cf67c668.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Master Lock Street Cuffs are well worth the investsment.

1286805511256-rko3310l6rld-399-75.jpg

MasterLock_StreetCuff_PL.jpg

I reckon picking up the bike and twisting it would provide the leverage to snap that lock. A second lock to stop that would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I reckon picking up the bike and twisting it would provide the leverage to snap that lock. A second lock to stop that would do the trick.

I thought the same then I looked at their website - the link in the centre rotates so you can't lever it off. They actually look like a pretty good idea if you're not worried about having your wheels nicked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Twisting would make no difference as the adjoining chain to the cuffs rotates 360 degrees by design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Some pics from the web here for you but I've seen the same U-Lock in Henry Street last winter

These are U Locks. A U lock will typically have more space between it and the frame, giving leverage to break it, as those photos illustrate.

A D lock has much less space between it, the frame and the rail it is locked to, giving little opportunity to break the lock with leverage.

kryptonite-evo-mini-5-d-lock-550x550.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Well.. okay :D

Can you tell the difference between the two locks ? Nonetheless, Ive been using a D Lock for years, in that area, without any issues, on a bike just under 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 omcgowan

Mine was stolen off a 1st floor balcony in Chapelizod on Friday.
    Sawed through the lock while i was asleep in the bedroom.

Scott Speedster 60 - Black and Yellow with Shimano peddals
    Keep an ear out if you can!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

omcgowan wrote: »

Get up early tomorrow (6am-ish) and go have a look in the 'Hill' market (also known as the Tuggers) on North Cumberland Street. Numerous examples of what look like brand new bicycles on sale for bargain prices with the guards apparently doing nothing about them. Plenty used bikes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

omcgowan wrote: »

pure scum :mad:
    have you got insurance,
    if not the development or management co. might have insurance that covers it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

imme wrote: »
    if not the development or management co. might have insurance that covers it.
    More likely to have a rule that bikes can't be stored on balconies

Advertisement