Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were there British newspapers opposing Irish independence in the 1920s?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Today, The Independent (the British newspaper, not the Irish Independent) posted an editorial in which it stated.

"On the question of democracy, however, we are not and will never be neutral: we believe it is precious, and must be revitalised. It is clear that not only our democracy, but our kingdom, is in some peril. It may be thought perverse for a paper with a tinge of republicanism to defend a kingdom; but we believe the union with Scotland is mutually beneficial, and crucial at a time of rapid global change."

I'm just wondering if there were British editorials saying the same thing about Ireland in the 1910s and 1920s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Today, The Independent (the British newspaper, not the Irish Independent) posted an editorial in which it stated.

"On the question of democracy, however, we are not and will never be neutral: we believe it is precious, and must be revitalised. It is clear that not only our democracy, but our kingdom, is in some peril. It may be thought perverse for a paper with a tinge of republicanism to defend a kingdom; but we believe the union with Scotland is mutually beneficial, and crucial at a time of rapid global change."

I'm just wondering if there were British editorials saying the same thing about Ireland in the 1910s and 1920s?

Of course, and not just English newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Of course, and not just English newspapers.

Do you have links to any editorials in English newspapers from the time? Or the names of those who wrote them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Never mind the British newspapers. All the Irish ones opposed it aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Jesus. wrote: »

Yes, but I'm more interested in British (i.e. London-based) newspapers, and the view of how Ireland leaving would affect the rest of the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Apart from the Irish Times (then a more Irish Unionist paper with a largely Protestant readership), which 26-county based Irish newspapers opposed Irish Independence?

The Daily Mail has had a reputation for being opposed to Irish Independence, and reading a few snippets from this book seems to bear this out:
    The News from Ireland: Foreign Correspondents and the Irish Revolution - Maurice Walsh.

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    Apart from the Irish Times (then a more Irish Unionist paper with a largely Protestant readership), which 26-county based Irish newspapers opposed Irish Independence?

The Sindo

(or at least, the way it was being brought about ie the Old IRA)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ian Kenneally wrote a good book on the Irish media's reporting of the independence period. It's called 'The Paper Wall'. From what I remember the Freeman's Journal were not enthusiastic (but they had been Home Rule supporters so it's probably no surprise). I think the Irish Independent were the most sympathetic when the war was under way but they were prepared to criticise when they felt they had to (and they suffered IRA attacks on their premises at times).

I remember developing a respect for the journalistic standards of the time. They had to be brave. A pity the standards seemed to decline in subsequent decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Ian Kenneally wrote a good book on the Irish media's reporting of the independence period. It's called 'The Paper Wall'. From what I remember the Freeman's Journal were not enthusiastic (but they had been Home Rule supporters so it's probably no surprise). I think the Irish Independent were the most sympathetic when the war was under way but they were prepared to criticise when they felt they had to (and they suffered IRA attacks on their premises at times).

I remember developing a respect for the journalistic standards of the time. They had to be brave. A pity the standards seemed to decline in subsequent decades.

But then really, there was no opposition to "Irish independence" from the Irish papers? They were in favor of it, but some disagreed on the methods of attaining it. e.g killing civil servants and members of the DMP.

But then really, there was no opposition to "Irish independence" from the Irish papers? They were in favor of it, but some disagreed on the methods of attaining it. e.g killing civil servants and members of the DMP.

The two main papers, the Times & the Indo were not supportive of Irish independence. The Indo was a Redmondite Home Rule paper. That's somewhat different.
    I think the Irish Independent were the most sympathetic when the war was under way.

The Independent was a Castle propaganda machine. The details of every engagement with the old IRA were reported entirely from the British side, replete with all the available spin and "terrorist" rhetoric. Its hardly surprising given that it was the unofficial mouth piece of the Church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

The Sindo

(or at least, the way it was being brought about ie the Old IRA)

Didn't the IRA burn down the Indo's printing presses in 1921?

• Advertisement
Advertisement