Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a weed?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what this is? I've checked some previous posts about plants and can't see one similar. About a dozen of them appeared this year and I don't remember seeing them before. Should I get rid, or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

looks like Chemerion angustifolium, rosebay willow herb. pink flowers and defo a weed or to some people a wild flower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I think they are lilies. Leave alone, they will flower later in the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks. I'll give it time to flower and see what turns up. If as you say it is rosebay willow herb then according to Google it grows 1.5 - 2mtrs, and is a weed. It looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It does look a bit like a lily, but I also think its a Willowherb. If you didn't plant lilies then Willowherb is the best guess. Just lift one, if it has a root its a weed, if it has a bulb its a lily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

i reckon Thats a lilly!!!! They have come up now in our garden exactly like that in the past 3 weeks!

• Advertisement

No, I didn't plant lilies. Amazing what turns up after a bit of digging!

Where there lillies in your garden before even some ten years ago? I thought we only had about 10 turns out there is well in surplus of 50 after digging everything up some of them were buried feet deep and still attempting to peak through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I'm inclined to agree that it's willowherb, it's unlikely lilies would suddenly appear.

I had no lillies last summer for some odd reason they all started showing up, turns out they were planted years ago, I have never understood plants :D

Never had lilies, ever. I'm not a big fan of lilies due to their pong when I have them in a vase the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll give it time to flower and see what turns up. If as you say it is rosebay willow herb then according to Google it grows 1.5 - 2mtrs, and is a weed. It looks nice though.

Pretty sure TAZ32 is right about the Rosebay Willowherb. Lovely wildflower in a suitable spot.

I can see you are all on tenterhooks to know what they turn out to be. :D I will post a photo when they flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anyone know what this is? I've checked some previous posts about plants and can't see one similar. About a dozen of them appeared this year and I don't remember seeing them before. Should I get rid, or not?

Don't like it: weed.
    Like it: free plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, I don't like it either, it selfseeds like mad. if you didn't plant lilies then definitely they are not lilies. Yank 'em all out bar one if you like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've just been outside to look at my lilies and I'm wrong, it is willowherb. The lilies have thicker more waxy leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bit vigourous for me, so I always pull them out... but a weed is just a plant in the wrong place.

I liked them in the Google pic. So I'll leave them and see. I popped into the garden centre today and had a look at some lilies and I can see how some of the posts here thought they were lilies. I wonder if the people who lived here 35 years ago ever planted lilies? Too long ago I expect though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I liked them in the Google pic. So I'll leave them and see. I popped into the garden centre today and had a look at some lilies and I can see how some of the posts here thought they were lilies. I wonder if the people who lived here 35 years ago ever planted lilies? Too long ago I expect though.

Just don't let them seed, whatever you do, or you'll be up to your eyes in them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

kylith wrote: »
    Just don't let them seed, whatever you do, or you'll be up to your eyes in them next year.

and the year after, and the year after that and after that................

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Although......I am a lazy gardener! Could be the answer to my prayers! :D No, I'm only joking, really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

TAZ32 wrote: »
    looks like Chemerion angustifolium, rosebay willow herb. pink flowers and defo a weed or to some people a wild flower

Something you most certainly don't want. It's an aggressive coloniser, the seeds remain viable in the soil for years, and the roots also help it's spread. The seed heads are another nightmare........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one issue for the OP may be the height - i've seen them up to six feet tall.

also known as fireweed or bombweed, because they colonise disturbed ground so readily; they rampaged across london during the blitz, iirc.

The area can take plants that height no problem, its just the number of them I would be more concerned about. If its going to be Triffidsville I might just dig 'em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yes, dig 'em up. I came back to the thread to ask you to consider a photo of them going to seed. They're horrible...

get rid....esp if you say you're a lazy gardener. You're making a rod for your own back by leaving them in. Next year????!!!

All in favour...................?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Absolutely, there are many weeds which have attractive flowers, Celandines, Japanese Knotweed, Bindweed, to name a few but you don't want them in your garden. I would include Willowherb in that list.

tampopo wrote: »
    Yes, dig 'em up. I came back to the thread to ask you to consider a photo of them going to seed. They're horrible...

get rid....esp if you say you're a lazy gardener. You're making a rod for your own back by leaving them in. Next year????!!!

Just checked it out. Agreed, absolutely horrible. Gotta get rid then. Thanks all for your knowledge and advice. Much appreciated.

Advertisement