Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Battle for Barking - 2010 documentary

• 04-05-2015 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

This is one of my favourite political documentaries. It was made by a filmmaker called Laura Fairrie for More 4. It deals with the 2010 General Election in the UK, specifically the constituency of Barking, in which Nick Griffin of the BNP and Margaret Hodge of Labour fought to win a seat.

Its length allowed us a real insight into how a campaign is fought. I actually felt it didn't demonise the BNP as much as you may expect. I don't think the BNP came off well, but it wasn't down to any manipulation on the part of the filmmakers. It was more to do with their own behaviour on camera.

It dealt with moments like the death of Hodge's husband, the brief part when the BNP had a black member, scuffles between its activists and people in the street.

Has anyone seen it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I haven't seen it but it looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Watched it there. Good documentary on a very interesting campaign particularly in light of the BNP taking less than two thousand votes total yesterday and being confirmed as disappeared into the abyss.

If I was being critical I would say the film could have got more into daily strategy meetings and reactions to polling, etc. But there was clearly a more human and emotional side to this that was good.

You may like a film called The War Room about the 1992 US election that gets inside a campaign a little more. I think the process of election campaigns is a very interesting topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You may like a film called The War Room about the 1992 US election that gets inside a campaign a little more. I think the process of election campaigns is a very interesting topic.

Thanks, I'll see if I can track it down!

Thanks, I'll see if I can track it down!

Full movie on youtube :)

Advertisement