Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it about time the search got an update?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 9:34pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I find myself using Google more and more to search boards, as the standard search just isn't up to par. Quite often I get zero results, but if I search Google there are dozens. More often I search and am looking for relatively relevant results but they are all 3, 5 and sometimes 10 years old! I can refine to the month - which works sometimes - but it would be much better if I could refine to the year.

Could the search get an update at some stage do you think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Zascar wrote: »
    Quite often I get zero results, but if I search Google there are dozens
    Any examples?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

28064212 wrote: »
    Any examples?

search 'Overheal rolleyes' on the site, the first result is a graphics card overheating thread.

google 'site:boards.ie overheal rolleyes' and you get the complete history of the smiley wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is there no link to "advanced search" anymore? I can never find it, always have to go into google and type "boards search" to get the link!
    This one: http://www.boards.ie/search/
    As you can see, it's a really hard URL to remember :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Cienciano wrote: »
    Is there no link to "advanced search" anymore? I can never find it, always have to go into google and type "boards search" to get the link!
    This one: http://www.boards.ie/search/
    As you can see, it's a really hard URL to remember :pac:
    If you do an empty search it takes you there

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The search probably annoys me more than any other functionality on this site. I hate seeing this screen, it doesn't even explain what I've done wrong or why I'm not getting search results

347627.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

And then, even if I do figure out that I really need to find the forum first before searching, the "best match" listing really sucks if you're trying to find a thread for a current sporting event. All of these search results are really obsolete.

347629.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I rarely, rarely use the sites own search feature....because it never really works properly for me. All the same things mentioned above plague me too, ancient results, no hits for plainly obvious keywords, etc. It's mad though, as I've seen others swear by it and who use it a lot. Personally as I said I avoid it, it just seems...broken :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What I don't like is that if I search something like "Centra" no results come up, but if I just hit the search button after that I get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What I don't like is that if I search something like "Centra" no results come up, but if I just hit the search button after that I get results.
    I get that a lot actually, it's maybe 30-40% of my searches on desktop and mobile. I get the red bar across the top stating no results and I refresh and get loads of results.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just tried that myself. When I was previously referring to getting no results, I tested a few and when I clicked search again it found some. Maybe someone can look into this. I think if we added a date range it would be great - and put a higher weighting on newer threads. If you search for something very popular - with lots of results where the thread title contains your keyphrase, the newer ones should appear first and not 10 year old posts...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Gordon wrote: »
    I get that a lot actually, it's maybe 30-40% of my searches on desktop and mobile. I get the red bar across the top stating no results and I refresh and get loads of results.

I would say I get that near enough all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The difference between best and newest on the mobile is as far as I can see that the best search will return is ordered by the latest post and the newest search won't have the latest post for a few minutes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wrong thread, I'm an idiot

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

So admin/mods - is an update to search on the roadmap at all? Or can it be added?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Zascar wrote: »
    So admin/mods - is an update to search on the roadmap at all? Or can it be added?

You tell us, you're a mod!

That's something that employees/devs would need to answer.

:)

So... Emploees, Dev's?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd settle for the new interface over the search; at least we have google to fix the search issue but nothing to fix the interface issue :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It wasn't on the roadmap, but it is now. It'll be Q3 before it's looked at as we're already well stuck into Q2's work.

Advertisement