Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry blossom partly in flower

Options
  • 04-05-2015 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

For the last two years my cherry blossom tree has only flowered on one side. Any idea why this could be happening?
    I adore cherry blossoms and was really disappointed to see this happening again this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At a guess, and I can't see the trunk very clearly, I'd say that the flowering part was grafted onto a root stock (another tree) and the other tree has taken over. If that is the case then you will not get flowers on the larger part of the tree. You could cut off the non-flowering branch but cutting prunus can result in disease getting into the tree and you could lose it altogether.

Edit, oh yes, it is a big photo and there does seem to be a rather strange graft.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Yep, a shoot from the graft has taken over. I would think it is a Prunus Amanogawa, which is normally grafted that low, and a shoot from the rootstock got accidentally trained up with the grafted stock. The rootstock is always more vigorous than the grafted stock and will take over.

If you are planning on lopping off the stray then do it in summer to lessen the risk of disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Thanks for the replies. I will admit it's not something I know a lot about but I will go out tomorrow and take a closer look.
    Why would anyone be grafting branches onto trees? (Excuse my ignorance)
    It's a lovely shape tree and quite healthy so I won't be going to the trouble of pruning, I have a few other cherry blossoms to admire!

emer_b wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I will admit it's not something I know a lot about but I will go out tomorrow and take a closer look.
    Why would anyone be grafting branches onto trees? (Excuse my ignorance)
    It's a lovely shape tree and quite healthy so I won't be going to the trouble of pruning, I have a few other cherry blossoms to admire!

Just about all ornamental cherry trees are grafted as they are not usually vigorous enough otherwise, or won't reach a saleable size quickly. Unfortunately the original rootstock fights back sometimes!

The part that's flowering on yours will probably die off eventually but the rootstock that is taking over will probably flower at some stage. It's probably a wild cherry stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lk67 wrote: »
    If you are planning on lopping off the stray then do it in summer to lessen the risk of disease.

The remaining branch would be fairly miserable after taking what looks like 75% away, no? It's so weak at the moment. Plus, the rootstock is so strong, surely it would continue to regrow. It has been left unchecked for what looks like years.

If it was my garden, I'd either take off the graft, and let the stronger tree grow, or take it out completely, and replace.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    The remaining branch would be fairly miserable after taking what looks like 75% away, no? It's so weak at the moment. Plus, the rootstock is so strong, surely it would continue to regrow. It has been left unchecked for what looks like years.

If it was my garden, I'd either take off the graft, and let the stronger tree grow, or take it out completely, and replace.

Perhaps, but it is an option and possible solution to the OP's issue.

There would be two quite full branches left that could be pulled vertical and would look fine once they fill out even more. Prunus Amanogawa is a narrow columnar variety anyway.

A slanted cut could be done and any resprouting rubbed off if they occur.

As I say, it is another option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Sorry to hijack this thread but my cherry blossom was damaged at the wknd and a small side branch pulled off. It left a gash but did not pull any bark downwards. Looks like the little branch was twisted off it actually. very young tree only planted about 5 years ago

Should I do anything to the wound site?

If it has just been twisted off and has left a little stub I'd cut it back flush with the trunk. I wouldn't treat a cut unless it was bigger than a 2 euro coin. Tbh there are plenty of people who say treating is pointless anyway.

Advertisement