Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Londis is a Rip-Off

• 04-05-2015 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

My local Londis is an absolute rip. I went there tonight to buy some tea bags, 80 Barry's tea bag €4.89, bag of sugar €2.99 2l of milk is €2.99. You can get the same items in the lidl 2 minutes up the road for €2.49, €1.19 and €1.29 respectively. The prices in my local Londis is ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

My local Londis is an absolute rip. I went there tonight to buy some tea bags, 80 Barry's tea bag €4.89, bag of sugar €2.99 2l of milk is €2.99. You can get the same items in the lidl 2 minutes up the road for €2.49, €1.19 and €1.29 respectively. The prices in my local Londis is ridiculous.

Go to Lidl then, or pay the extra for the convenience of longer opening hours etc etc etc as has been said and done here a million times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

No one was forcing you to buy at those prices

Don't buy them and go to Lidl instead

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

And buy your sugar somewhere other than Lidl, sugar has been under a €1 for almost 12 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Londis are not as big as lidl. Small corner shops are always expensive. I dont buy much in them, prefer the supermarket.

I wont go near Lidl. They are not Irish owned and we need to try and support irish owned businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In other news -chocolate bars & batteries were spotted cheaper in €2 shops than cafes & jewellers.

Caster sugar is often the cheapest sugar these days, it used to always cost more. I think the shops are all pricematching each other and hoping regular shoppers will just go for the regular granulated.

I think some people think caster sugar is a different thing altogether, I saw someone post it here before, and saw some woman looking at the last few torn bags of granulated sugar in tescos and I said to here "they have caster sugar there, and its actually cheaper", you would have sworn I had said "theres a bag of flour that might do you instead".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

rubadub wrote: »
    I

I think some people think caster sugar is a different thing altogether,

I actually thought they were different. Google says no.

Except that it's finer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I think the bananas in my local shop are more expensive than the HUGE multinational german hard discounter LIDL, as well !

Shocking really. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    Londis are not as big as lidl. Small corner shops are always expensive. I dont buy much in them, prefer the supermarket.

I wont go near Lidl. They are not Irish owned and we need to try and support irish owned businesses.

i shop in Lidl and Aldi a lot and conscience free. They stock quite a decent bit of irish produce, and that show this on your receipt, so you can certainly support irish by shopping in them. i think that matters alright.

they seem to pay decent wages to their workers, and then demand employees work hard for it. the have an employment education programme. They give full time jobs to full time employees... ( as far as i can tell as i dont know anyone who works in one).

But as to where the profits go - im not too concerned if it the dunne family or some german family. so irish owned or not, doesnt make a big difference in my opinion. as long as they stock irish goods and employ irish worker and pay irish taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

i shop in Lidl and Aldi a lot and conscience free. They stock quite a decent bit of irish produce, and that show this on your receipt, so you can certainly support irish by shopping in them. i think that matters alright.

they seem to pay decent wages to their workers, and then demand employees work hard for it. the have an employment education programme. They give full time jobs to full time employees... ( as far as i can tell as i dont know anyone who works in one).

But as to where the profits go - im not too concerned if it the dunne family or some german family. so irish owned or not, doesnt make a big difference in my opinion. as long as they stock irish goods and employ irish worker and pay irish taxes.

I think the point people were making is you have to compare like with like. Centra, Spar, Londis, Local shop, all similar. Big supermarkets are different. They buy in containers which command big discounts.

Comparing big discounter to a local shop is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the point people were making...
    Xterminator's post seemed to be in response to the "I won't shop in lidl as its foreign" bit

There was a similar poster recently who said similar, but after being asked several times also refused to say where they do actually shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO to centra ,prices are more reasonable,
    there .
    1 litre of milk is 95 cent .bag of sugar 1 euro.
    Its open til 10pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Lisa2011 wrote: »

I do, Lidl and aldi are fantastic. imo Irish owned stored need a kick up the hole and have been getting away with high prices for far too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I do, Lidl and aldi are fantastic. imo Irish owned stored need a kick up the hole and have been getting away with high prices for far too long.

That likes of Aldi and Lidl are pretty good at stocking Irish made products. Actually, they really make a point of it. Dunnes don't seem to make such an effort funny enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

road_high wrote: »
    That likes of Aldi and Lidl are pretty good at stocking Irish made products. Actually, they really make a point of it. Dunnes don't seem to make such an effort funny enough.

Depends really ... Lidl and Aldi won't have everything I need if I'm doing a big shop, sometimes it's not worth the extra diesel shopping in Aldi or Lidl unless it's within walking distance of one of the other supermarkets.

Same applies here in Holland too, Aldi and Lidl are the cheapest but won't stock everything that's in Albert Heijn or Jumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Depends really ... Lidl and Aldi won't have everything I need if I'm doing a big shop, sometimes it's not worth the extra diesel shopping in Aldi or Lidl unless it's within walking distance of one of the other supermarkets.

Same applies here in Holland too, Aldi and Lidl are the cheapest but won't stock everything that's in Albert Heijn or Jumbo

That's the model that Dunnes and Tesco have relied on for years - punters want to do all their shopping under one roof so you entice them in with special offers on the basics and then screw them on the stuff where they have no idea about prices - bog rolls and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a model that's dying though. The Kantar stats show the level of multi-shopping going on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Tesco do special offers ,2 for one etc and they sell brand name goods ,
    eg 7up etc
    depends where you live ,people tend to go to a supermarket thats within
    close where they live.
    if you live in an urban area theres likely to be a centra near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Not all small shops are expensive , I run a Costcutter shop in a small town and for the same products our prices last week were Teabags €2.00, sugar 75c and 2l milk €1.59.

Milk is normally that price and sugar is now 99c this week, we still have some of the tea bags at the €2 price.

We also pay our staff a fair wage and most of my staff have been with us for 6+ years.

The key is to shop around, we have good offers and give a good service, please dont knock all small shops some of us give great value,great convenience and you avoid having (in our case) to drive a 30k round trip to save maybe €1-€2 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

My family run a small Spar store in rural Galway and are competing pretty well with the closest supermarket which is Supervalu. It all depends on the location and the competition. Those prices do seem exorbitant even for a convenience store but if they can get it good for them.

Aldi/Lidl are brilliant international companies who have shaken up the competition in almost every country in Europe. They actively make a point of sourcing local produce at a fair price and offer very well paid jobs that instill a strong work ethic. They're like the Ryanair of supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Except Ryanair staff have shockingly low wages :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You'd want to be able to compete with SuperValu! For a large store they are shockingly expensive.

I always try and support the smaller shops, but I wouldn't avoid Lidl/Aldi. I would be more inclined to avoid Dunnes due to there horrific 15hour contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I would be more inclined to avoid Dunnes due to there horrific 15hour contracts.

Lidl is not far off the same crack. 20hrs for some in there.

They really (the gov) need to do something about that when they're upping the minimum wage.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Except Ryanair staff have shockingly low wages :P.

Aviation in general pays pretty dismally to those starting off as Cabin crew or in customer services, not just Ryanair - they pay more than BA and Lufthansa in most cases but they also demand hard work and give experience to people starting off a competitive industry. There's no shortage of applicats.

Their pilots are paid handsomely for avg. 19 hours a week in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Aviation in general pays pretty dismally to those starting off as Cabin crew or in customer services, not just Ryanair - they pay more than BA and Lufthansa in most cases but they also demand hard work and give experience to people starting off a competitive industry. There's no shortage of applicats.

Their pilots are paid handsomely for avg. 19 hours a week in the air.

Of course there aren't - and when they pay thousands for their own training - I'm sure Ryanair love it :D.

Off topic I know..

They only charge people who go on to become staff. It's generally taken in instalments from your pay. They also make it much easier to get into the airline industry than almost anybody else.

Nobody is forced to work for or fly with them but so many do.

Advertisement