Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop feeding to sleep?

Options
  • 04-05-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I have a 7 month old baby and I breastfeed her to sleep each night. For her naps during the day she'll only sleep in the buggy bassinet and only if I walk her. She's a good little sleeper now after a bit of a rocky few months and I'd be happy to continue as I am, however I'll be going back to work in a few months and will also have a few nights away from her, so I'd love for her dad to be able to get her down.

Has anybody got some recommendations for nighttime/nap routines/tricks that I can start using that don't involve crying it out? Tbh I can't imagine being able to get her off without a boob in her mouth! (FYI we tried for months to get her to take a bottle of expressed milk so dad could participate in feeding but she was having none of it.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

Similar situation here but I'm starting to think that it's only when I'm around my lo can smell my milk and refuses anything else. She won't take expressed milk from my dh but will take the ready made carton of formula. We've a few weddings coming up where she'll be with family and I'm anxious as it'll be the first time neither one of us are with her and am afraid she'll give them trouble. We've been trying out others getting her to sleep at nap times and are discovering that there's ways she'll sleep for others that she never would for me. One nana sings her to sleep, another rocks her to sleep so I think it's just when I'm around that she refuses anything other than the boob. Not much of a solution in the long run I realise!! I'd love to hear if anyone else has figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Look up the no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley. She breastfed her children and she wrote the book after trying to find ways to help one of her babies sleep without relying on being fed. I didn't feed either of mine to sleep but I found the book fantastic in sleep training our sleep allergic 11 month old.

Advertisement