Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keo/Delta/SPD-SL style to SPD cleats

• 04-05-2015 10:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭

After much putting it off, been finally trying to get myself using clipless pedals. I have Some shoes and keo pedals on one of the bikes. Been heading out once/twice a week for 20 km or so in them, but there's some unease. I think they'd be useless on my commute if I wanted to put them on more bikes as I've a lot of lights to stop at some days, and my methods is to slow well in advance and unclip and plant the left, though sometimes I go to put the right down and get in a panic.

I've thought about taking a step back and going with SPDs for the bikes. I don't do any racing, no intention of doing racing, but plans for a couple of 100km + cycles, but they might contain several stops so SPDs I imagine would be better. Is it a terrible idea to stop with the keos, and try and get comfortable with the actual idea of being clipped?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I went from SPDs to Keo's which I hated to SPD-SLs which I get on grand with, they're much easier to get going on as there is a bit of surface on the pedal there is a noticeable difference in power with the SPD-SLs vs the SPDs but I'm not sure I'll ever lose the little voice in my head that tells me I should have stuck with SPDs and invested my money in stiff carbon soled MTB shoes.

(Still use SPDs on my other bikes for commuting etc.)

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers. I had SPDs on a bike I got rid of, but they could also take normal runners so never attempted to figure them out.

Might go with these and another pair, and get something else thrown in free

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/parts/pedals-pegs/shimano-clickr-t400-pedals-black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    ... and unclip and plant the left, though sometimes I go to put the right down and get in a panic...
    If you were wearing ordinary footwear which foot would you put down at the lights? For the vast majority of people it would be the same foot. It seems unusual that you would alternate between left and right. I would always unclip the left as it is more natural to push off again using my right. I think your problem may lie with co-ordination rather than the actual pedal type. Unclipping at lights/junctions should become a natural reaction rather than something requiring active thought - just like changing gear, braking etc.

Thinking about it, it's the left foot generally anyway, might pay more observation to it exactly. It's probably as you say a bit of coordination, and I'm certainly overthinking it for fear of falling over. No harm in having two types possible. More practice anyway required, I'll try around the estate for a bit or in the park some more just doing it a bit more often.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Stick with the Keos, it's just a matter of getting used to them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I use spd's on a road bike, no bother unclipping, Get stiff soled shoes, no bother cycling a tonne or more.

If you have a city commute with 1way streets etc, you often change your planting foot to put the nearest to the kerb down ( like when turning right)

Or learn to trackstand, which is when you learn to unclip really fast, on either side....

I use spd's on a road bike, no bother unclipping, Get stiff soled shoes, no bother cycling a tonne or more.

If you have a city commute with 1way streets etc, you often change your planting foot to put the nearest to the kerb down ( like when turning right)

Or learn to trackstand, which is when you learn to unclip really fast, on either side....

This,

I paid more attention this morning. Nearly always the left, but if I'm going right, or have had to move from a left filtering lane to the right/middle one to go straight on I seem to use the right. I'll keep plugging away in the evenings til I get it.

Advertisement