Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I didn't get out this weekend...AGAIN!!

• 05-05-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭

And it's killing me!!

It's over 2 weeks since I sat on a bike. Weekends just hectic... I just can't find the time!! Coffee breaks, Sky sports, Sunday morning soccer, odd pint in pub...where does the weekend go??

So tomorrow night.. Am bringing in my Turbo from the shed and am gonna pedal thru Game of Thrones. Am going to plan to turbo cycle every night Mon to Fri from 9pm for a good hour in front of the telly!!

Aiming for ROK in July and am WAY behind. Hope this new regime will get me across the line!!

Wish me luck

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Masala wrote: »
    And it's killing me!!

It's over 2 weeks since I sat on a bike. Weekends just hectic... I just can't find the time!! Coffee breaks, Sky sports, Sunday morning soccer, odd pint in pub...where does the weekend go??

BS, you never mentioned work or kids, so, you, good sir, have no excuses at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭fillup

Get up early

I've kids and all the jiggery pokerythat goes along with that

I went for a 100k + spin at 7:15 this morning and was back in time for a hurling tournament my son was involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Coffee breaks, Sky sports, Sunday morning soccer, odd pint in pub...where does the weekend go??....
    I presume you're taking the piss? :confused:

Try working 7am to 9pm shifts on Saturday and Sunday combined with being 'on call' during the night and be there for the family too and then you might have excuses for not cycling.

Coffee, TV, pints.....FFS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Turbo alone will make for a long painful day at ROK

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wish me luck

Good luck! But as others have said, you're maybe going about it the wrong way. Turbo in the summer is truly hateful. Once you get your head around early mornings, it is probably (for me at least) the most rewarding time you can spend on the bike. Catching the sun rise in the mountains on empty roads with just you and the wildlife is magical. Even the city streets at 5am-6am are rather special this time of year.

FWIW, the bulk of my cycling for the last couple of months has been a daily commute to Vincents to see me father after a long days work. Had him at home for a bit before he passed on, and was stuck using the turbo as getting out of the house for any amount of time wasn't on. It is ok as a last resort, but not much more. Even in the píssings of rain and wind, the road bike is better on the road, takes much less discipline than the turbo, and is both fun and rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 garimakaushikk

And it's killing me!!

So tomorrow night.. Am bringing in my Turbo from the shed and am gonna pedal thru Game of Thrones. Am going to plan to turbo cycle every night Mon to Fri from 9pm for a good hour in front of the telly!!

Aiming for ROK in July and am WAY behind. Hope this new regime will get me across the line!!

Wish me luck
    I am going through it too. I can understand your feelings entirely. Weekends have become so hectic that I can't even steal a single moment for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

I am going through it too. I can understand your feelings entirely. Weekends have become so hectic that I can't even steal a single moment for me.

"Hectic" - he's watching Sky Sports, drinking coffee and going to the pub, and moaning!!?? I wish my weekends were that 'hectic'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Turbo is the way forward.

It has been sh1te the last two weekends. Looking forward all week to getting some serious miles in only to be scuppered by poxy weather, but the turbo is the only job. I'd say a two hour turbo is worth four on the road.

Plus, set up the turbo in front of the tv and you can watch all the sky sports you like and still get the miles in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

An hour a day on the turbo is not adequate preparation for 200k in July. An hour a day Monday to Friday along with a 4-hour ride every Saturday and a couple of hours on Sundays might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How do you get to work ? Bikes are just for the weekend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Coffee breaks, Sky sports, Sunday morning soccer, odd pint in pub...where does the weekend go??

F*** first world problems.

first_world_problems_12.jpg

I went for a 100k + spin at 7:15 this morning

101km starting at 5:08am yesterday - happy I could! A 2,5 year old plus a newborn in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Coffee breaks, Sky sports, Sunday morning soccer, odd pint in pub...where does the weekend go??

Seriously dude you need to get your priorities in order.

Its all about the bike, the bike comes first...........now wheres that rule book!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Wish me luck
    You don't need luck, you need a kick up the arse

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ted1 wrote: »
    How do you get to work ? Bikes are just for the weekend!!

+1 a decent commute is a good base for a 200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

I loved the responses to the OP's predicament. Expected nothing less.

If you are motivated you will find a way, if not you will find excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

fat bloke wrote: »
    set up the turbo in front of the tv and you can watch all the sky sports you like and still get the miles in! :)

even better - set the turbo up in the pub and drink all the pints you want and still get the miles in.

If you can't summon up the motivation to go for a cycle just wait until you start doing turbo sessions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

An hour a day on the turbo is not adequate preparation for 200k in July. An hour a day Monday to Friday along with a 4-hour ride every Saturday and a couple of hours on Sundays might.

I've never cycled this much in a week in my life and I've cycled enough to attend numerous sportives; two (soon to be 3) Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycles etc etc.
    Now in saying the above, I don't start a cycle to finish in the top-tier. Kinda hard really when I'm taking in the scenery around me :o but I think it all falls down to Discipline & Commitment. You can find time for just about anything if the Heart is in it imo. Speaking as someone who used procrastinate over cycling instead of pulling out the bike and just powering through.

The turbo is okay, but it won't prepare you for the wind, rain, sun, hail ; nor prepare you for everyone and everything else sharing the roads with you; nor prepare you for the condition of the roads themselves.

Hope you get out again soon. It's so refreshing and relaxing.
    Bet you miss it ;)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Op, the thing to do is to forget about working out ways around the problem and just deal with it.

Fitness wise, 5 1 hour sessions on a turbo a week will actually be very benefical (depending of course on how you spend the hour). Many studies have shown that short focused sessions are in many cases as good as if not better than the more traditional LSD type training.

They will however, only get you so far. If you are doing a 200k then there is no substitute for time in the saddle. 1 hour on the tubo, no matter how focused and intense, will not get your prepared for 8 hours in the saddle.

How do you think someone would do in a marathon if they had only ever do a 5k run before?

So, whatever the constraints that life is throwing at you, and we all have them, you need to look at where you are spending your time and what you prefer. Think about how you spent your time over the bank holiday weekend. Is there no possibility to get out early/late? The weather is not an excuse (although we all use it). While it many shorten a cycle, it should never (except in extreme cases) cause a cycle to be called off completely.

Only you can motivate yourself. Life is full of time stealers, simple things not not getting the gear ready the night before can mean an extra 30 mins to get out in the morning. Not checking your bike the night before. Not planning your training so that all those that you rely on (wife etc) know the schedule and can plan accordingly.

TBH, I always get fed up with my non cycling friends telling me how easy it is for me as I'm fit, have time to cycle etc. I have the exact same time that they do but choose to spend it cycling rather than going to the pub, watching football etc. Many times I wish I could just flake on the couch, and I do feel guilty about not spending more time with the kids & wife, but that is choice I make. I just tell myself that when I hang up the wheels I will put the same effort into those things that I currently do into cycling (I know that's not true!)

But nothing anybody on here will say will make the difference. You need to consider whether the sacrifices you need to make to get out on the bike is worth it, whether you want to achieve what you can in the 200k or not.

BTW, I can't think if anything more demotivating than the prospect of 5 1 hour sessions a week on the turbo. If you have the ability to motivate yourself to do that, then your are far more motivated than I could ever be and should use that motivation to get out on the road and get some real cycling done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Coffee breaks, Sky sports, Sunday morning soccer, odd pint in

Bloody hell, Sky Sports. The only thing i get to watch now is recorder cycling at about 11pm when i've finished all my other chores.
    2 jobs,one full time, another few hours two nights a week, a father in hospital 6th time in a year,this time with broken hip. Mother that can barely walk so i do everything for her, 2 kids under 2.5 years old and a wife so theres a tonne of laundry everyday from them. Its bloody amazing.

Still nearly have 3000km so far this year and i'm not in a club and have had only 3 spins that were on the weekend. So i get my kms every which way i can. Like todays short lunchtime spin. To the bank and then the hospital.
    And i do drive a car so could chicken out when the weather gets bad like it did today.

Last time i went for a pint was Halloween night. Hopefully you start getting out soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Alot of negativity on this thread directed at someone who posted looking for support and encouragement!

@OP - turbo trainer is going to be alot harder than you anticipate, it is much easier by far to actually get out on the bike (daylight permitting) than to put a productive session in on the turbo trainer. Mainly because you can't freewheel on the trainer I guess, and because you don't actually move!

If time is short why not try a short but steep cycle, head uphill for an hour and then roll back down?

Best of luck with ROK. I agree with some of the posters above - the best training for that is going to be 4 hour cycles at the weekend, not one hour on the trainer.

Most important point: You clearly regret not getting out last weekend. When was the last time you regretted getting on the bike and going? We all occasionally don't feel in the mood to get out, especially in bad weather, nobody ever really regrets going once they have done it.

Well I can think of one time I went out without weather appropriate clothing that I kind of wished I hadn't, but even that time I guess I regretted not bringing overshoes, arm warmers and warm gloves more than I regretted actually going.

as for those who go early in the morning - I salute you. For me it is always after the kids have finished matches etc., at least then I can crash when I get home instead of having to go and stand on a sideline in the cold/wet or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I had a poor start to the year too OP with two jobs on the go and a raft of other problems to deal with.

The thing that saved me has been getting up at 0600 every weekday morning and getting in a spin pre-breakfast then taking elongated commutes home when possible.

Reassured that I actually love being on the bike I've found it easier and easier to get out (and to resist my Nemesis Baron Von Cake) and thanks to the ahem variable weather I've even assuaged my guilt over all of the winter gear that was staring angrily at me for most of the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Thanks guys.... plenty of good and bad there for me to take on!

I guess I do need some extra motivation - especially mid-week. To be honest - I have been out over the 4 weekends before the last 2 and even done a 70k charity cycle recently.

I really mad at myself that I didn't get out this weekend .....and I took the easy options of telly, sleepins and pints!!!!!

Have never tried the early morning spins - this could be something I could try. I know a nice spin that is 60 minutes door to door.

Don't worry .... I feel really bad about myself!!!! But I promise to change......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

As others have said OP the getting out on the real bike is going to much more enjoyable and more likely that you will sustain it rather than constant efforts on the Turbo in front of the TV, you may find yourself getting sick of that pretty fast.

Honest to God, some of the replies on this thread. Really reminds me of why I mostly head out on my own these days ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Next time you need a blast of sanctimonious moralizing, you know where to come ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Thanks guys.... plenty of good and bad there for me to take on!

I guess I do need some extra motivation - especially mid-week. To be honest - I have been out over the 4 weekends before the last 2 and even done a 70k charity cycle recently.

I really mad at myself that I didn't get out this weekend .....and I took the easy options of telly, sleepins and pints!!!!!

Have never tried the early morning spins - this could be something I could try. I know a nice spin that is 60 minutes door to door.

Don't worry .... I feel really bad about myself!!!! But I promise to change......

I think it's important to make the distinction between motivation and discipline. I'm in the camp that motivation is derived from discipline, not the other way around.

If one thing's for certain I definitely did not want to be spending my entire weekend on the road in a constant downpour, but I did it anyway because I have long-term goals in mind. The way I see it I'm not going to remember the 2 hours here or 3 hours there where I was miserable, but I will remember achieving my fitness goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Alek wrote: »

101km starting at 5:08am yesterday - happy I could! A 2,5 year old plus a newborn in the house.

Pfft easy.. Try a 5/3/2/2 week old.

Nothing better than heading out early on the bike and getting to watch the sunrise. Arriving home and feeling like you've the rest of the day to look forward to. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I guess everyone is different but if I think I'll get a chance to get out on the bike then I will absolutely avoid alcohol the night before as even two or three beers effects energy levels the next day (for me) I have 2 children under 5 and they're very busy demanding little people but at this time of year there's still enough time to get out after they've gone to bed and I'm probably lucky that I can do a short 22km loop from my house that involves 700m of climbing. It may not be a great distance but I reckon a 22km spin with lots of climbing is better than a flat 50km spin so if time is precious pick the most hilly short route near you for your work outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Try a 5/3/2/2 week old.

Not. A. Chance.

:pac:
    othing better than heading out early on the bike and getting to watch the sunrise.

It doesn't work like this in winter... but going up Kippure in total darkness has its own flavour :)

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    Alot of negativity on this thread directed at someone who posted looking for support and encouragement!
    o.

I wouldn't call it negativity. People were just pointing out that you can make time if you want. I have a brother who just bought a new bike and it sits at home and i've said this to him.

I always wish that i had taking up cycling seriously before i got married and had kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Pfft easy.. Try a 5/3/2/2 week old.

Is this a maths problem?
    :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

I always wish that i had taking up cycling seriously before i got married and had kids.

Not a day passes that I don't think this!! It is the very reason that I am now going to make up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

fillup wrote: »
    Get up early

I've kids and all the jiggery pokerythat goes along with that

I went for a 100k + spin at 7:15 this morning and was back in time for a hurling tournament my son was involved in.

That's childs play (pardon the pun) I went for a 100k spin at 8:30am and made it back for 9:00am mass....

Sorry did I say 100, meant 10..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

for someone like the OP who has done some cycling he should be able to get around the course on the day regardless of what training he has or has not done up to now and what training he is going to do.

the difference is (IMO)

doing an event reasonably fit = a nice enjoyable day out

doing an event reasonably unfit = hardship, suffering, pain and regret for not being prepared.

But he will get around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I wouldn't call it negativity. People were just pointing out that you can make time if you want. I have a brother who just bought a new bike and it sits at home and i've said this to him.

Did he get it on the "bike to shed" scheme??

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »
    Is this a maths problem?
    :confused: :pac:

It's a problem alright. Practice safe sex kids :D

It's a problem alright. Practice safe sex kids :D

Or get a telly in the bedroom...

not yet wrote: »
    Or get a telly in the bedroom...

I've put just put two in for safetys sake ;)

Perhaps I should just get out on the bike more often now I think of it :)

I've put just put two in for safetys sake ;)

Perhaps I should just get out on the bike more often now I think of it :)

Put the turbo in the bedroom, that should wear you out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

All I managed this morning was to open one eye, turn off the alarm and 5:45 and go back to sleep...

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Did he get it on the "bike to shed" scheme??

Bike to mothers bathroom scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

omri wrote: »
    All I managed this morning was to open one eye, turn off the alarm and 5:45 and go back to sleep...

Delete delete delete!!!!

Didn't you read page one?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Many studies have shown that short focused sessions are in many cases as good as if not better than the more traditional LSD type training.

If somewhat less colourful :)

FalconpsychedelicJam.jpg

Advertisement