Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you prejudiced toward accents?

• 05-05-2015 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

are you, or have you ever been ? I once had a bit of an aversion toward the heavy Dublin accent. I used to feel a bit self conscious and embarrassed by my father's accent that he inherited from his side of the family, and thus handed down to some of my half brothers. when he would talk to me in front of people outside the family who spoke in a different way or collect me from school the self consciousness would hit it's peak as in my school there were mostly flat ''normal'' accents. I would usually prefer if my mother went to my parent teacher meetings as she had one of these flat accents that wasn't over the top, and I felt she better ''represented'' me, in my naïve ignorance. I come from the type of family where going to college would be seen as ''posh'' and having notions, like'' oooh look at you and your business degree (I don't study business)''. nobody I know of either side of the family studied at third level, most of them barely scraping second.

so I used to have a bit of prejudice toward the ''ah jaysus howya, wats the storee, wats the craic, gis a bleedin bag o chips'' kind of accent. I myself don't speak that way, at least not to the extent of my father and my relatives of his side where you can blatantly tell they are northsiders.

as I got older I grew more informed and tolerant of different ways of speaking and found that if you just listen to people and what they're saying, often they are speaking perfect sense, regardless of accent. its just expressed differently. why do you think there is a bit of a stigma against the heavy Dublin accent? is it to do with perceptions that it sounds inarticulate, uneducated, scummy etc. are you yourself a fan of the Dublin accent?

another thing, taking it all into account, are you proud of where you come from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I love certain accents like the cavan one, Dublin one, boston accent. I kind of like the Yorkshire accent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

aye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hate the Aussie accent.......shudder.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    aye

r u from cavan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Tldr, but I find some of the Cork accents seem like something like coming out of a Warner Bros Cartoon.

I just laugh out loud when some of them start speaking.

• Advertisement

Tldr, but I find some of the Cork accents seem like something like coming out of a Warner Bros Cartoon.

I just laugh out loud when some of them start speaking.

Ya Im from Cork and I know what you mean, some of them are pretty bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I hate accents from county's kilkenny/Tipperary

They sound like there taking the piss or putting on the accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya Im from Cork and I know what you mean, some of them are pretty bad.

Yeah. My late Mother was from Cork, so you'd think I'd have some loyalty.

But no. some of them are just tooo bad.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Hate American (USA) accents, all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I don't really mind what accent a person has, but the one thing that gets on my tits is when young lads put on some kind of inner-city Love/Hate Dublin accent because they think they're hard.

You're 15 and you're from a bungalow surrounded by fields in a crappy parish in the back-end of nowhere. You're not Nidge.

• Advertisement

I hate the welsh accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

The D4 accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I must admit, I'm prejudiced against a certain group of copper gathering folks accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I lake sexy accents lake mine

Cillian Murphy has a nice cork accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I hate accents from county's kilkenny/Tipperary

They sound like there taking the piss or putting on the accent

Never heard complaints about our accent before. Well, only from Waterford people, but thats just because we're always taking the piss out of them.

When I hear a Donegal accent, I just want to snog the person speaking, don't know why.

When I hear a D4 accent, I just get violent thoughts for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's only one accent I hate. Coincidentally, they also have a habit of using the same word at the end of all sentences, just in case you didn't hear their accent.

They also claim to make gates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I love all accents but being Irish myself the Dublin accent used for Friday (starks comp) in the new Avengers movie was woeful........just putting that out there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The west Cark accent does my nut. People assuming the Dublin accent is exclusive to the northside is a pain in hole too, I know a girl from the flats in Rathmines that is hard to understand sometimes because her Dublin accent is so strong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I really dislike the cork/Kerry/Limerick/Waterford/Clare accent.
    It's like a cheese grater on my ear drums. That said, I feel a little bit sad when people's toom theyre ashamed of their parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When I hear a Donegal accent, I just want to snog the person speaking, don't know why.

Mmmmmmuuuuaaahhhhh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

People assuming the Dublin accent is exclusive to the northside is a pain in hole too, I know a girl from the flats in Rathmines that is hard to understand sometimes because her Dublin accent is so strong
    Yeah I can't tell whether a strong Dublin accent is from the northside or the southside or west Dublin or inner-city Dublin. Are they really that different? (Apart from old people having a kind of Mister Brennan accent).
    A "northside Dublin accent" is a misnomer I think.

I guess though what people refer to as the Dublin 4 accent can be found throughout Dublin too.

Im a bit like that with the Cavan accent, I just want to kiss them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

the_syco wrote:
    They also claim to make gates...
    Are they the copper loving people as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Are they the copper loving people as well?

Yes they are boss.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah I can't tell whether a strong Dublin accent is from the northside or the southside or west Dublin or inner-city Dublin. Are they really that different? (Apart from old people having a kind of Mister Brennan accent).

I guess though what people refer to as the Dublin 4 accent can be found throughout Dublin too.

You're as likely to hear a thick Dublin accent in various suburbs throughout Dublin as you are in the inner city, and it's certainly not confined to the northside. Similarly you'll find the typical D4 accent elsewhere, in my experience Dalkey is particularly bad for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Born and reared in Dublin and never heard anyone say giz a bleedin bag o chips
    Op you watch too much Shiite on rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Born and reared in Dublin and never heard anyone say giz a bleedin bag o chips
    You hear in the chippers near Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Oddly enough it's not really found in D4 either! The accent sound Sandymount, Ballsbridge and Donnybrook (except for some RTE staff) is very neutral. The accent in Irishtown and down towards the docks is fairly strong Dublin City.

The "D4" accent is more likely to be found in parts of South County Dublin - Foxrock, Killiney, parts of Stillorgan and Blackrock and areas of D6.

It's a bit unfair on the good folks of D4 to lumber them with that accent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Yes, mainly just Dublin accents though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dont like Northern accents. Donegal/Derry is tolerable but the harsher accents are horrible. Thick Dublin accent is rank as well.

Glaswegian and Brummie accents are horrible. Can never take anyone with a Brummie accent seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I don't dislike any accents but I would not be fond of the scouse or a heavy howya accent there are some dub accents I really like Luke Kelly had the kind of dub accent I like, maybe we all have a kind of inbuilt reaction to accents.

A primary school teacher was been interviewed on the news about some topic and she had a very pronounced howya Dublin accent and for a second I did a double take because its not an accent we associate with education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Satori Rae wrote: »
    I love all accents but being Irish myself the Dublin accent used for Friday (starks comp) in the new Avengers movie was woeful........just putting that out there :P

It was a horrible half-Irish accent with an American twang, but it wasn't Dublin, the actress who voiced it is from Tipperary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I really dislike the cork/Kerry/Limerick/Waterford/Clare accent.

Jaysus, you can hardly lump em all in together as the one accent, Theres about 20 different acccents going on there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Yorkshire. Yuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm not a bit prejudiced mainly as my accent can get woeful if unchecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope but I am aware of it so find myself toning it up or down depending on if I am dealing with colleagues or clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

When people comment on mine I say :

I don't have an accent, I'm English.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I hate the string Dublin inner city accent bit don't mind the rest of them, northsiders included.

I love the Cork accent, the Kerry accent is ok too.

Hate Louth and Cavan accents.

The Tipp, Laois and Offaly bogger accents are just woeful. They really are the most unrefined straight off the farm accents. When I was getting my mortgage the guy dealing with me was from Offaly. I just couldn't take him
    Seriously, I was of the opinion that someone who spoke like they had a mouthful of spuds couldn't possibly be intelligent enough to know anything about finance or mortgages. Of course he was more than qualified and capable of doing his job it's just he didn't come across that way while speaking.

Another accent close on the heels of Tipp Offaly and Laois is the Kikdare accent and their inability to finish words and their softening of words starting or ending with TH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Very embarrassed to say I can't hear the difference between Irish accents.. you all sound the same to me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Scouse accent is the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think the Belfast accent is very lovely, but that might be because I went out with a Belfast man for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I find the majority of Munster accents to be annoying.

I was on the interview team for a recent recruitment drive for finance professionals with English as their first language. One of the candidates was a chap from Cork/Limerick. He had overcome going to UCC and had a good masters and work experience in the City of London. A strong candidate. But the accent! It made me wince each time he raised his voice to make a point.

As I would be working with the chap on a daily basis I recommended that we give it to an English chap with a far less offensive accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Any accent from the Northside of anywhere I usually find annoying :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Any accent that makes all statements seem like a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I met a girl from Letterkenny when I was about 17. She was pretty, but objectively probably only a little above average in the looks department. But by God, she might as well have been the most beautiful woman ever to have walked the Earth, because when she spoke it was like she was pouring honey in my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

We probably all have deep-seated prejudices (positive or negative) regarding accents, but it's really not something we should be proud of. There's a wealth of evidence humans make unfounded snap judgements over height or beauty, accents are no different. But we should still be aware of it and try to overcome it.

It's strange. The vast majority of people would condemn judging the colour of someone's skin, but most people freely confess to despising one accent or another. It's usually more acceptable to condemn a "posher" accent than a "rough" one. But both attitudes are moronic and chippy.

It's never okay to judge someone on the way they speak. There's plenty of scope, surely, to make a judgement on what they actually have to say. Be content with that, rather than reaching for a reason to sneer at someone. It says a lot more about you, than about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Having lived in Dublin for a few months I have discovered that there is indeed more to the accent divide than the conventional Northside (howiyah) and D4/Southside (loike totes, roysh?). There is a very pleasant "neutral" Dublin accent, and its actually really nice to listen to, it just seems so genuine and natural. Far less grating than the Northside accent and not at all as insufferable as the D4 accent. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An affected D4 accent makes me think you're an airheaded twat (and, if you're putting the accent on, I'm not wrong).

A strong Cork accent makes me think you're a dribbling neanderthal whose sole purpose in life is to give inner-city Dubs someone to look down on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement