Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of taking down a big tree

Options
  • 05-05-2015 7:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

How much would it cost to take down a big tree (eucalyptus) in a suburban garden? It's going to have to be done professionally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

How much would it cost to take down a big tree (eucalyptus) in a suburban garden? It's going to have to be done professionally.
    Depends on a number of factors, namely the size of the tree, access to the property and whether you want all the arisings removed from the property or not, e.g you may want to keep the timber which will reduce the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

How big are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

How big are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

where are you based?

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Sorry to hijack...
    Im in the same predicament.
    Looking for a price on removal of a big liandei (or however you spell it). It is almost same height as your avg 2 storey house (including the apex of the roof). Its at the end of my back garden and the branches are running fairly close to the neighbours house which is on a street that is perpendicular to mine from the back. The branches overhang a single storey shed/garage in their side entrance. The only access to the base of the tree is through my narrow enough side entrance. Some of the branches to be removed may also be accessed via the neighbour at the back's front garden. Im in south dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

e.g you may want to keep the timber which will reduce the cost.
    i've heard there are a couple of woodturners with qualifications as tree surgeons; if they liked the look of the tree, they might provide a decent price based on them getting the choice wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Being an amature woodturner, eucalyptus and leylandii are both very difficult to turn, so will not be popular. Usually woodturners use aged/dried wood, as it has shrunk down already, so won't crack after it is turned. Leyland and eucalyptus both crack and split when you leave them to dry naturally. You can turn them when "green", or fresh... but the end product tends to warp. Quite frustrating, so not going to entice anyone out I'd say.

I'd leave them to dry in a pile for a few years, and then into the fire over winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's in a front garden on a wide road, in Dublin south city suburbs. Massive big eucalyptus now as high as the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Most important thing is not to go for the cheapest option. It's dangerous work so make sure you get some one qualified and insured. You need a tree surgeon not a landscaper or horticulturist. I can give you details of some honest guys based South side dublin if you want it.

Andy-Pandy, if you'd be so kind, that would be great - PM me. It's not my tree, though, so it's not up to me…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Pm sent

Thanks!

Advertisement