Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor issue

Options
  • 05-05-2015 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a samsung syncmaster T220 (6 yrs old) , yesterday it started to go on/off every 2-3 seconds - not losing power but losing the signal, I tried all the obvious with the cable and power cord plugged in tightly.

I'm pretty sure it's the monitor but I don't want to fork out 200E for a new monitor for the same to happen cos it was a memory card issue...

How can I diagnose it ?

I will try and borrow a cable from work to at least rule of a cable issue ..

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds like the capacitors have gone in it. Easy enough cheap fix if you can solder or if you know an electronics engineer who'd be able to help out. I fixed a Samsung monitor previously which had the same issue. Total cost of new capacitors was under a fiver from memory. you can find out more info about Bad Capacitors here

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

yoyo wrote: »
    Sounds like the capacitors have gone in it. Easy enough cheap fix if you can solder or if you know an electronics engineer who'd be able to help out. I fixed a Samsung monitor previously which had the same issue. Total cost of new capacitors was under a fiver from memory. you can find out more info about Bad Capacitors here

Nick

But the power is not going , it;s the source ... it keeps flashing analog/digital on the screen ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Bad caps can cause all sorts of issues. If a particular cap is filtering a supply line to the part that selects the video input then you could get those kind of issues.

Only true way is to connect to a different computer. If the monitor behaves the same then it's at fault, if it doesn't then your PC might be at fault. Leaving the monitor unplugged from the mains for a few hours might allow it to cool enough to work for a while, depends on how far gone the capacitors are.

Ken

So if I get a new monitor with Hdmi connection - my motherboard has Hdmi but my video card doesn't - that means my video card will be a defunct component ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

the_monkey wrote: »
    So if I get a new monitor with Hdmi connection - my motherboard has Hdmi but my video card doesn't - that means my video card will be a defunct component ?

You can get dvi to HDMI cables

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You can get dvi to HDMI cables

Sure , I got a monitor with both tho !!!! ;)

edit - just an update, it was the monitor - specifically the DVI connection, cos the old monitor works
    with a VGA cable, but loses the signal with DVI.

The new monitor takes the DVI signal no problem (same cable).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

the_monkey wrote: »
    Sure , I got a monitor with both tho !!

I think he was saying it cos you could then still utilise your video card (which your question implied)

Advertisement