Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a job in New York

Options
  • 05-05-2015 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

I am a 29 year old professional looking to move to New York and was wondering could anyone give me some advice on looking for jobs?
    Any experiences that you have had or heard of?

I would be looking to go over on the professional working Visa which means that I would need to have a job sorted before going over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

How likely is that you could get one sorted before going over?
    The company to go through seems to be USIT but they are very hands off when the issue of jobs arises

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

I think you would have to look at entry level jobs to fit the criteria of the visa! You have to have a structured learning plan etc. What area are you in? I was in New York in March and the only jobs going where working in the Irish pubs! Granted I was only on a holiday so not actually looking for work.
    I think with regards to New York, you would have to know someone to get you in the door in order to have anything sorted out prior to going over. If you go on to internships. com and see what entry level potions are available. Even if the job is not right for you, they all come with contact info for the recruitment department. Your best bet is to email as many of them as you can, explain the visa you're going over on, and see when they're hiring. Another thing to do, would be go into USIT and ask them directly, what companies have hired people previously with your visa and contact them from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

No offense, but have you done even a modicum of research about this? If you're talking about getting an EB-3 visa (the "professional" visa) are you aware that there's a backlog of six to nine years on average in order for it to be granted? If you're talking about the H-1B then you'll need to have a fairly unique skill set and a highly motivated employer who is willing to go through a LOT of paperwork and legal hassle to get the visa for you, something very few companies are willing to do these days.

Beyond that, it's kind of hard to give advice about getting a job in New York (where I live) when you don't even state what your profession is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

No offense, but have you done even a modicum of research about this? If you're talking about getting an EB-3 visa (the "professional" visa) are you aware that there's a backlog of six to nine years on average in order for it to be granted? If you're talking about the H-1B then you'll need to have a fairly unique skill set and a highly motivated employer who is willing to go through a LOT of paperwork and legal hassle to get the visa for you, something very few companies are willing to do these days.

Beyond that, it's kind of hard to give advice about getting a job in New York (where I live) when you don't even state what your profession is.

I think they're talking about the DS 7002? Not too sure if that's the one you're referring to with the backlog? You're right in saying a lot of research has to be done! I'm hoping to go on the grad j1 myself and I've been researching and contacting people for months to get things organised! It really isn't a matter of what you would like to do, more about actually putting the time in and contacting people and researching the prospects

I am beginning the research process now with the intention of going in Sept/Oct.
    Sorry I should have provided more information- I am currently working as Economic & Pricing Analyst in the Energy Industry and have roughly 4 years experience in this industry.

This is the visa: http://www.usavisa.ie/pct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I am beginning the research process now with the intention of going in Sept/Oct.
    Sorry I should have provided more information- I am currently working as Economic & Pricing Analyst in the Energy Industry and have roughly 4 years experience in this industry.

This is the visa: http://www.usavisa.ie/pct

Hmnn, that seems to be a trainee/internship visa. You have to get a "host organization" to sponsor you and submit a detailed training plan. A lot of internships in the US are for zero pay or very low pay, I don't want to discourage you but I'd be looking to find people who have actually been through that program before moving forward with it.

One thing I can say is that the cost of living is high in New York, living on funds from an internship here ain't going to be easy.

Hmnn, that seems to be a trainee/internship visa. You have to get a "host organization" to sponsor you and submit a detailed training plan. A lot of internships in the US are for zero pay or very low pay, I don't want to discourage you but I'd be looking to find people who have actually been through that program before moving forward with it.

One thing I can say is that the cost of living is high in New York, living on funds from an internship here ain't going to be easy.

I have contacted USIT on this but they have taken a very hands off role (which is fair enough) so its hard to know where to start on advice accumulation.

I am going to try see what i can garner from a few message boards and also try harness other sources such as colleagues/friends and linkedin.

I know about the host organisation stuff but there is a benefit for them as they get a trained employee without any visa fee (as I will be paying that)- well that's how I will sell it to them anyway.

I'm under no illusion about there being high costs/risks but nothing ventured, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I completed 2 1-year J1s (I think it was the graduate vs the trainee, however they are quite similar). I went with USIT for my first one. In my 2nd year, I used Intrax Internships. I believe they offer help with finding positions and they have a fast process in place.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I completed 2 1-year J1s (I think it was the graduate vs the trainee, however they are quite similar). I went with USIT for my first one. In my 2nd year, I used Intrax Internships. I believe they offer help with finding positions and they have a fast process in place.

Thank you for that Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I suggest you take a look at the thread at the top of this section regarding the visa lottery. Is the only avenue for many. Third year applying myself and no luck when I checked it there 30mins ago. You apply around October every year and you get results in early May. A "lottery" is exactly what it is but it is probably the best way to get into the US if you were to win it.

Another option is to work for an American company or a company with offices/operations stateside that may eventually transfer you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

yew_tree wrote: »
    I suggest you take a look at the thread at the top of this section regarding the visa lottery. Is the only avenue for many. Third year applying myself and no luck when I checked it there 30mins ago. You apply around October every year and you get results in early May. A "lottery" is exactly what it is but it is probably the best way to get into the US if you were to win it.

Another option is to work for an American company or a company with offices/operations stateside that may eventually transfer you.

This.

Advertisement