Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght Cross

Options
  • 05-05-2015 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Intending to move to Tallaght Cross area on rented accomodation right beside the Luas Line, safety wise is the area okay or should I have another think about it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Are these the apartments opposite Tamara restaurant or the apartments in the tower block above Tamara?

I know someone who lives in the ones opposite Tamara (aren't they John of God's or something?) and he loves living there.

That particular area always strikes me as relatively quiet; you've got the Luas and traffic going past, but as far as any trouble I reckon you'll be grand.

It's on a main road and that usually means your only bugbear will be traffic.
    I'd say go for it. (I'm from Tallaght myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Its mostly fine.

You get the odd undesirable hanging around the bus stop outside the square or at the luas stop but I can't recall any serious incidents around the area.

Can't speak for the properties or inhabitants though

I did have some mates who lived in the Arena Apartments and they said things were fine there. Worth considering as they are very close by

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

fussyonion wrote: »
    Are these the apartments opposite Tamara restaurant or the apartments in the tower block above Tamara?

I know someone who lives in the ones opposite Tamara (aren't they John of God's or something?) and he loves living there.

That particular area always strikes me as relatively quiet; you've got the Luas and traffic going past, but as far as any trouble I reckon you'll be grand.

It's on a main road and that usually means your only bugbear will be traffic.
    I'd say go for it. (I'm from Tallaght myself)

Tallaght cross is more down towards hospital near the old m&s

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

Alaxander House

4real wrote: »
    Alaxander House

Its a fairly quiet area there used to be a lot of junkies hanging around due to the proximity to the luas .
    Now theres private security patrols all over the area and its handy with the square ,hospital and civic centre all on your doorstep and a lots of public transport.
    You also have a shiny new medical services centre opening in October too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's fine around there, the odd headcase or scumbag but nothing you won't see most other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any time I've been there I've never had a problem. It can be a bit quiet, but not too quiet I suppose. There was an incident recently at the Luas stop: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tallaght-luas-red-line-stop-closed-after-two-males-assaulted-1.2143224

M&S closed due to lack of footfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Know somebody living in there and it's fine. It's pretty much dead at night.

Decent apartment too.

It's a shame that so many businesses there have shut down.

In hindsight, they'd have been better off linking the businesses there to the square (which is still thriving) in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

anncoates wrote: »
    Know somebody living in there and it's fine. It's pretty much dead at night.

Decent apartment too.

It's a shame that so many businesses there have shut down.

In hindsight, they'd have been better off linking the businesses there to the square (which is still thriving) in some way.

Off topic I know but do you really think the square is thriving?

I know there's always people there but I have never seen as many empty units and units quickly changing as in the last few years. Very few shops left from when it first opened.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Off topic I know but do you really think the square is thriving?

I know there's always people there but I have never seen as many empty units and units quickly changing as in the last few years. Very few shops left from when it first opened.

It's still pretty busy with a few big anchors. I think the empty units are more down to the massive rates and rents they charge. Was told they were exorbitant by somebody with a unit in there.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised that a Starbucks, newsagents, M&S etc couldn't make a go of it on the other side.

• Advertisement

It's still pretty busy with a few big anchors. I think the empty units are more down to the massive rates and rents they charge. Was told they were exorbitant by somebody with a unit in there.

To be honest, I was a bit surprised that a Starbucks, newsagents, M&S etc couldn't make a go of it on the other side.

The rent is huge, I know that for certain. Seems like a lot of rubbish gadget shops, second hand electronics and budget type shops like Dealz. Depressing and can't see most of them lasting either.

I was very surprised that the Centra or Spar that was at the Luas closed down. People waiting often might pop in. May be a testament to how good and regular the Luas is that people weren't hanging around long enough. Are units above there offices or residential? Prolly empty anyway.

Are units above there offices or residential? Prolly empty anyway.

Residential AFAIK.

I also would have thought that the footfall around the Luas, Civic Centre, Library etc would have been more than big enough to support a Starbucks and newsagents too.

Perhaps they were taking the piss with the rents.

Residential AFAIK.

I also would have thought that the footfall around the Luas, Civic Centre, Library etc would have been more than big enough to support a Starbucks and newsagents too.

Things may be on the turn though as the Glasshaus hotel has reopened (despite news of the Abberly Court closing).

Residential AFAIK.

Unfortunately when Starbucks opened it suffered from day one both lack or footfall and a certain amount of undesirables using the shop for everything bar buying coffee.
    Sb have a policy once a store starts operating at a loss they shut it down immediately.
    The square has crazy rents .in a few years rents doubled, trebled and then quadrupled.
    I know at one stage the smallest retail unit was 90,000 pa
    It will be interesting with the extension going ahead .

Things may be on the turn though as the Glasshaus hotel has reopened (despite news of the Abberly Court closing).

Abberly isn't closing because they don't do decent trade. I'd imagine the bank pulled the plug on the owners debts.

I believe a sale has already been agreed and would imagine it will reopen soon

GavMan wrote: »
    Abberly isn't closing because they don't do decent trade. I'd imagine the bank pulled the plug on the owners debts.

I believe a sale has already been agreed and would imagine it will reopen soon

It was nama who closed the Abberley heard it wouldn't be put on the market for 8-12 weeks sad though it was doing fairly good business should be been sold as a going concern

Gatling wrote: »
    It was nama who closed the Abberley heard it wouldn't be put on the market for 8-12 weeks sad though it was doing fairly good business should be been sold as a going concern

Bank...nama...much of a muchness.

As I said, There has already been a sale agreed according to the signage outside of it

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

A lot of the apartments you are asking about suffer from bad damp/mould and non existent ventilation.

Bit noisy with the Luas and traffic but you get used to that. It's fairly quiet, you do get a lot of teens hanging around the buildings shouting their heads off and messing around in basement car park but no real trouble to speak of.

Just make sure you give all appliances a good test before moving in, as chances are they have been there since the place was built.

Advertisement