Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheated PC system upgrade/repair

Options
  • 05-05-2015 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Following on from my earlier thread on a overheating PC issue that damaged some components, I reckon the most sensible course of action is to upgrade my CPU, motherboard and get some new RAM. The power requirements for an AM3 CPU and a HD7870 GPU may have been too much for my 430W PSU and MSI MB. I should be able to sell on the Phenom X4 965 BE CPU and 4GB of RAM. My net budget for an upgrade is around €200 (should get around 70 for selling the older components).

This is what I've come up with:

Intel Core i3-4160 3,6GHz LGA1150 3MB Cache Boxed CPU €116.76
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 €54.37
    MSI H81M-P33, mATX, Sockel 1150 €42.12
    Thermaltake Hamburg 530W €46.47

Total including delivery €270.

Any comments before I place the order? Is the higher wattage PSU necessary (possibly for future proofing?)

MODS - wrong forum - can you move this into PC Building and Upgrading please?

Advertisement