Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Enfield Haunting

• 05-05-2015 8:53am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Started last Sunday on Sky Altantic, this British Drama-Horror is based on the real life events of the Enfield Hauntings back from the 70's. Which is considered to be one of the most documented poltergeist/haunting investigation ever.

The show itself is a three part mini-series and so far has been excellent. It's unsettling and creepy to watch at times and I watched it during the day! It seems to be a mixture of American Horror Story and The Conjuring.

Has anyone been watching, what do ye think of the show and the events based on the show?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭TheCowboy

Loughc wrote: »
    Started last Sunday on Sky Altantic, this British Drama-Horror is based on the real life events of the Enfield Hauntings back from the 70's. Which is considered to be one of the most documented poltergeist/haunting investigation ever.

The show itself is a three part mini-series and so far has been excellent. It's unsettling and creepy to watch at times and I watched it during the day! It seems to be a mixture of American Horror Story and The Conjuring.

Has anyone been watching, what do ye think of the show and the events based on the show?
    Not seen that one but on youtube you can see a documentary on it.largely debunked I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I wouldnt say its been debunked at all. certainly hasnt been proven to have happened though. I dont understand why there is no proper video footage to be honest. they had the gear at the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The first episode shows interference with the video equipment and a power cut as reasons why it happens to miss the key moments.

The first episode shows interference with the video equipment and a power cut as reasons why it happens to miss the key moments.

over the two year length of time it occurred in though? I find it a bit odd they had interference for that length of time. On the up side, it does have police witnesses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

maccored wrote: »
    over the two year length of time it occurred in though? I find it a bit odd they had interference for that length of time. On the up side, it does have police witnesses.

I know what you mean, the first episode only touched on the first couple of months of the investigation. It'll be interesting to see if they touch on lack of hard evidence in the next couple of episodes.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say its been debunked at all. certainly hasnt been proven to have happened though. I dont understand why there is no proper video footage to be honest. they had the gear at the time.
    Even the woman from the psychical research was not very impressed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ24igrFzW8 55.55

The girl who was 'levitating' her hair up as it would be if she jumped

Guy Lyon Playfair would believe anything Chico Xavier, Uri Geller

TheCowboy wrote: »
    Even the woman from the psychical research was not very impressed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ24igrFzW8 55.55

The girl who was 'levitating' her hair up as it would be if she jumped

Guy Lyon Playfair would believe anything Chico Xavier, Uri Geller

I think the kids were playacting to a degree. its only natural. does that mean though that the cop lady didnt really see the chair move? I dont know - though as I say ... police people make reliable witnesses.

I think the kids were playacting to a degree. its only natural. does that mean though that the cop lady didnt really see the chair move? I dont know - though as I say ... police people make reliable witnesses.

Didn't the police officer admit she wasn't sure if the chair moved by itself or if one of the kids had pushed it.

Didn't the police officer admit she wasn't sure if the chair moved by itself or if one of the kids had pushed it.

Im not too sure. I watched the documentary on youtube and it seemed pretty sure she did. Apparently she signed an affidavit, but that doesnt mean she didnt doubt herself later on. Must google that.

her claim is:
    “On Thursday, 1st September 1977 at approximately 1am I was on duty in my capacity as a police woman when I received a radio message to Green Street, Enfield.

I heard the sound of knocking on the wall… there were four distinct taps on the wall and then silence.

Within a few minutes the eldest son pointed to a chair which was standing next to the sofa. I looked at the chair and noticed it was wobbling slightly from side to side. I then saw the chair slide across the floor towards the kitchen wall. It moved approximately 3-4 feet and then came to rest.”

I havent found any info from her saying she was mistaken though. theres a wiki page claiming she was mistaken - but no direct quotes. If anyone finds such a thing, please do post it up.

• Advertisement

her claim is:

I havent found any info from her saying she was mistaken though. theres a wiki page claiming she was mistaken - but no direct quotes. If anyone finds such a thing, please do post it up.
    In the documentary in it says the policewoman checked the chair for hidden wire etc but found nothing suspicious. Also at 5.35 mins in the documentary Mary Rose Barrington says she was impressed by the policewoman's statement partly for this reason
    theres a wiki page claiming she was mistaken
    Have not seen that

In the documentary in it says the policewoman checked the chair for hidden wire etc but found nothing suspicious. Also at 5.35 mins in the documentary Mary Rose Barrington says she was impressed by the policewoman's statement partly for this reason
    Have not seen that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_Poltergeist

"A female police constable saw a chair slide on the floor but couldn't determine if it moved by itself or was pushed by someone."

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Watched the first episode felt it dealt with the issue of the fact there's so many children you can't watch them all at the same time, with the marbles scene very well.also the fact that most of it seemed to centre around Janet,(at times when Janet is alone often) and the initial investigators recent bereavement would all give rise to scepticism, thought it dealt with it very well looking forward to the next two episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I saw a bit of the first episode of the show. There's an interesting, little clip, where a few of the show's actors and crew mention spooky experiences they've had :):

Has anyone here ever read Guy Lyon Playfair's book about the case (which this TV series is based on) though? It's named 'This House Is Haunted: The Investigation of The Enfield Poltergeist'. If not, I recommend that you do. I read it a few years ago and found it a compelling and often-chilling read, tbh.

Now, I had always thought the alleged 'levitation' (via the well-known photos) and the gruff voice of 'Bill' (via YouTube vids/recordings) in Janet were b.s., and I still feel the same way now.

But there are many other aspects of the case, outlined in Playfair's excellent book, that left me thinking that some very strange things most likely did happen in that house. Not because I desperately 'wanted/want to believe' in poltergeists, or whatever - I just believe Guy Lyon Playfair was/is telling the truth, as he saw it, about what happened.

I was going to buy that book yesterday on my kindle until I came across a podcast with Guy Lyon who was talking about the Enfield Haunting.

Not only did he admit nothing happen in the house when Janet wasnt around but he was obsessed with selling the rights for his book for either a movie or tv which he did to sky.

Also on the podcast he went into great detail on how it ended and some background on Bill. I was really interested in the case until I heard him on the podcast. He came across quite bad in it and it put me off getting the book.

I was going to buy that book yesterday on my kindle until I came across a podcast with Guy Lyon who was talking about the Enfield Haunting.

Not only did he admit nothing happen in the house when Janet wasnt around but he was obsessed with selling the rights for his book for either a movie or tv which he did to sky.

Also on the podcast he went into great detail on how it ended and some background on Bill. I was really interested in the case until I heard him on the podcast. He came across quite bad in it and it put me off getting the book.
    Guy Lyon believes geller is psychic. enough said. And just because he sold the rights does not make it true.they want to make a scary movie not a true scary movie but will probably say based on...
    Have you seen guy and janet on This morning i think it was?

Guy Lyon believes geller is psychic. enough said. And just because he sold the rights does not make it true.they want to make a scary movie not a true scary movie but will probably say based on...
    Have you seen guy and janet on This morning i think it was?

I agree with the rights being sold as per my previous post he sounded desperate to milk it for all its worth.

I haven't seen the this morning clip no.

I agree with the rights being sold as per my previous post he sounded desperate to milk it for all its worth.

I haven't seen the this morning clip no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqf7azyYxtQ

See janets reaction to the skeptic lady

Have you a link to that podcast of Guy that put you off the book?

interesting reading - apparently the sounds of poltergeist knocking is actually quite different from humans doing the same thing - http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/576188/The-Enfield-Haunting-Poltergeist-The-Sky-Living-Dr-Barrie-Colvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqf7azyYxtQ

See janets reaction to the skeptic lady

Have you a link to that podcast of Guy that put you off the book?

http://theunexplained.tv/paranormal-podcasts/edition-72-the-enfield-poltergeist

It's comes across as one big shill for his book but then he goes and gives the ending away.

• Advertisement

interesting reading - apparently the sounds of poltergeist knocking is actually quite different from humans doing the same thing - http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/576188/The-Enfield-Haunting-Poltergeist-The-Sky-Living-Dr-Barrie-Colvin
    Is her hair photoshopped? it looks less 'up' than in the original which gave impression of jumping

Is her hair photoshopped? it looks less 'up' than in the original which gave impression of jumping

i have no idea. I was on about this - http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/659274/8344277/1283192168127/Unexplained+Rapping+Sounds.pdf

http://theunexplained.tv/paranormal-podcasts/edition-72-the-enfield-poltergeist

It's comes across as one big shill for his book but then he goes and gives the ending away.
    cheers for that link

Is the film out now the one based on his book? He says one film is not about his book but hopes to have 'real' filmmakers makes his book

"Guy’s updated book “This House is Haunted” is out now." he can't leave it alone. What could be new. Playfair used to live in ballydehob didn't he?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/576188/The-Enfield-Haunting-Poltergeist-The-Sky-Living-Dr-Barrie-Colvin
    is the link you gave and it has a photo of janet i think it is jumping

yeah that the news article. the news article is about the research. the PDF is the direct link to the research itself. i have no idea about the photo.

yeah that the news article. the news article is about the research. the PDF is the direct link to the research itself. i have no idea about the photo.
    ok

cheers for that link

Is the film out now the one based on his book? He says one film is not about his book but hopes to have 'real' filmmakers makes his book

"Guy’s updated book “This House is Haunted” is out now." he can't leave it alone. What could be new. Playfair used to live in ballydehob didn't he?

It's not a film it's a three part mini series. Part two is on tonight on Sky Atlantic. The conjuring part two out next year is based on the Enfield poltergeist. It has nothing to do with the book tho.

It's not a film it's a three part mini series. Part two is on tonight on Sky Atlantic. The conjuring part two out next year is based on the Enfield poltergeist. It has nothing to do with the book tho.
    Oh i thought one of them was his book dramatised. didn't he say lawyers had written to one filmmaker* and the real film maker was going to make his book.

*couldn't quite catch it

He says he saw unusual puddles of water which could only happen if someone left an ice cube on the floor and apparently does not consider that maybe someone left an ice cube on the floor

Yea the three part series is based entirely on his book.

• Advertisement

The biggest problem with enfield is playfair

This has [scroll down] an article by mary rose barrington of spr who seems very objective about it

Advertisement