Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed or Variable Power Scope

Options
  • 05-05-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I’m looking at a new scope and was wondering what people’s thoughts are on variable power verses fixed power.

One scope is 10x42 and the other is 4-16 x 50. Both have adjustable turrets and Mil Dot reticule. I want to use the turrets to hit longer range targets.

Will the number of clicks different for different power levels.

For example, at a 100m zero on the 4-16 scope, will the number of clicks be the same at 4x mag. as 12x mag. to hit a 200m target.

Which scope would you buy?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

The number of clicks will be the same at all powers to reach 200. I have both variable and a 10*40 mil mil fixed power. I use the fixed power on my 10/22 at the moment and find it great. The variable is a 3-12 on my deer stalking rifle. I also have a 2.5-10 that I intend to put on a HW97. Which one you get depends on you and what you want from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

The number of clicks will be the same at all powers to reach 200. I have both variable and a 10*40 mil mil fixed power. I use the fixed power on my 10/22 at the moment and find it great. The variable is a 3-12 on my deer stalking rifle. I also have a 2.5-10 that I intend to put on a HW97. Which one you get depends on you and what you want from it.

Thanks for the reply.
    Will be used on a 0.17HMR to shoot small vermin, magpie etc at 200+ distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

If your shooting that distance regularly I thing you might need to rethink your caliber

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

If your shooting that distance regularly I thing you might need to rethink your caliber

True

Fair enough. I wouldn't disagree with you. 200+ may never happen and most of the time the distance will be 100-150m. Its a 'just in case' scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

why not try the scopes with ballistic plex in them

daithi55 wrote: »
    why not try the scopes with ballistic plex in them
    could do, i'll take a look, thanks.

Advertisement