Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had a local "auctioneer" went rogue recently. Skimmed €100k from a land deal he was handling for his relation, load of €5-10k deposits from people putting deposits for houses. And conned some local business men out of €20k lump sums for an investment scheme. I know one couple well he took €10k deposit off for a house and they are heartbroken it took years to save it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

_Brian wrote: »
    We had a local "auctioneer" went rogue recently. Skimmed €100k from a land deal he was handling for his relation, load of €5-10k deposits from people putting deposits for houses. And conned some local business men out of €20k lump sums for an investment scheme. I know one couple well he took €10k deposit off for a house and they are heartbroken it took years to save it up.

Muy local auctioneer was Ger Killally lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Cops involved in a case like this?

Cops involved in a case like this?

Yea but little can be done it seems. Guards told this couple they are unlikely to ever see their money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

David Cameron resigning.
    Boris Johnston resigning.
    Nigel Farage resigning.
    Chris Evans resigning.
    Ivan Yates resigning (going on holiday in new York:pac:).

This thing is spreading I tell ya.
    Who's next Gerry Adams?:p

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    David Cameron resigning.
    Nigel Farage resigning.
    Chris Evans resigning.

Jasus that's like if Enda, Simon Micheal Martin and joe Duffy all resigned

That'd be some crac then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Adams would never resign he likes the sound of his own voice too much. Turn off local radio when he comes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    David Cameron resigning.
    Nigel Farage resigning.
    Chris Evans resigning.

Farage and Johnson the dirty cowardly bastards, well played on Cameron's part leaving the rest to it.

mayota wrote: »
    Farage and Johnson the dirty cowardly bastards, well played on Cameron's part leaving the rest to it.

It's a circus alright. Nobody wants the hot potato.

Someone dig up the iron lady quick and put in a new set of batteries.

Edit: A lot can happen in two years.(in politics)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yea but little can be done it seems. Guards told this couple they are unlikely to ever see their money back.

Deposits are a tricky area of business law. It's not treated the same as if, for example, I put my hand in your pocket and stole your €10,000.
    Even though that is effectively what I have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Talking to an older relative this evening. She was saying that the band Thin Lizziy were walking through the area near our land one time and lost a wad of notes.
    I really thought she was loosing it but no, true story she says. :)

Talking to an older relative this evening. She was saying that the band Thin Lizziy were walking through the area near our land one time and lost a wad of notes.
    I really thought she was loosing it but no, true story she says. :)

I have another crazy story.
    There was a farming widow who lived in an area east of enniscothy. She lived a very modest life. Never had a bank account. Rumour was that she used to bury stashes of cash out on the land in case the house was robbed.
    She died two years ago and at night you could see lights from some scallywags digging the fields looking for the supposed money.

Land was sold afterwards and who buys it only the owner of a meat factory as a wedding present for his daughter.
    The diggers were in a few days after the wedding "reclaiming" the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

There were Elderly brothers in our village wouldn't put money in bank for fear of loosing means tested pension. The roof was falling in on them and no running water etc. A crowd of scumbags broke in and beat them up and made off with 75k.

I wouldn't have 75€ lying around.

• Advertisement

Early 70's and we had land rented of an elderly man, dad would call on him daily to see he was ok.
    Called one day and there was no sign of him and no fire lit.

Got guards and they found him in bed, died through the night.
    All round the bedroom were jamjars with cash pushed in. Guard reckoned it was each weeks pension, bought what he needed and the rest was stashed in a jamjar in the bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Early 70's and we had land rented of an elderly man, dad would call on him daily to see he was ok.
    Called one day and there was no sign of him and no fire lit.

Got guards and they found him in bed, died through the night.
    All round the bedroom were jamjars with cash pushed in. Guard reckoned it was each weeks pension, bought what he needed and the rest was stashed in a jamjar in the bedroom.

Lad near us had an old cottage. Had electricity but never used it. Had well out the back for water. No car or tractor, old Honda 50 with a big carrier that he pushed around more than drove. He'd push it to the village every day and might buy a loaf of bread but every day the carrier would be laden with sticks and bits of pallets found on journey. He had 8 cows and 60ewes no manure, no silage would keep fields for wintering. Ewes were on land 4miles from house and when ewes lambing he'd pull two barrels together with hay and straw to sleep in. They found 53k when he died under floor boards. Rumour has it that neighbour that found him dead found as much more for himself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Similar story of man round here and I'm sure in most parishes in country. Generally men/women living on their own. Saddens me that these people are so afraid of banks/revenue/whoever that they live in poor conditions and resort to hiding money to avoid whatever. Then either some scumbag raids he or a relation that never have a f**k about him gets all. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

From what I see, there's allot of older generation who inherited an attitude of don't thrust the banks & don't sell/lose an inch of land from previous generations. In some cases they'll not allow themselves any luxury (what we call necessities) in case they get soft & many die young through neglect, which is a tragedy in itself.
    The stories on the robberies are disheartening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Farrell wrote: »
    From what I see, there's allot of older generation who inherited an attitude of don't thrust the banks & don't sell/lose an inch of land from previous generations. In some cases they'll not allow themselves any luxury (what we call necessities) in case they get soft & many die young through neglect, which is a tragedy in itself.
    The stories on the robberies are disheartening

I always put that attitude down to being closer to the memory of aristocratic landlords, and of course dev's Ireland of peasant proprietorship which was part of the states educational mantra until the 60s

• Advertisement

I always but that attitude down to being closer to the memory of aristocratic landlords, and of course dev's Ireland of peasant proprietorship which was part of the states educational mantra until the 60s

You're probably right

there are still plenty of ppl out there who will only sell land to pay off debts and thats never a nice place to be so they'll always associate selling land as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'll bust that cat.....there was a mouse in the kitchen earlier (probably brought in by the miaowing asshole himself) and I trapped him under the cooker. I aimed the cat in the general direction of the mouse and he definitely seen it but the lazy hoor just stretched out and walked past me in the opposite direction. He then proceeded to sit down and watch me trying to fish out the mouse with a poker, which I got eventually and pegged out the back door.

Oh the plus side, finished tagging the last animals for the genomics scheme so that's that out of the way!

Kovu wrote: »
    I'll bust that cat.....there was a mouse in the kitchen earlier (probably brought in by the miaowing asshole himself) and I trapped him under the cooker. I aimed the cat in the general direction of the mouse and he definitely seen it but the lazy hoor just stretched out and walked past me in the opposite direction. He then proceeded to sit down and watch me trying to fish out the mouse with a poker, which I got eventually and pegged out the back door.

Oh the plus side, finished tagging the last animals for the genomics scheme so that's that out of the way!

they're going to get a shock when they see that mouse dna!

ganmo wrote: »
    they're going to get a shock when they see that mouse dna!

Hahahaa! Damn, I should have stuck a mouse hair in before I put them into the tubes. That'd have been fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Hauling slurry out of a piggery here now. Anyway there's a MF 188 on a propeller agitator. When I went to start this morning it took 3 reels of extension cable a power pack and a screw driver to start it. Gave 20 mins figuring out which reels work. All for the sake of replacing a dyno on the tractor

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Hauling slurry out of a piggery here now. Anyway there's a MF 188 on a propeller agitator. When I went to start this morning it took 3 reels of extension cable a power pack and a screw driver to start it. Gave 20 mins figuring out which reels work. All for the sake of replacing a dyno on the tractor

Can't tolerate that carry on.
    Machine needs to start, also hate yokes with no decent work lights, how lads go poking round in the dark at feeding time is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Can't tolerate that carry on.
    Machine needs to start, also hate yokes with no decent work lights, how lads go poking round in the dark at feeding time is beyond me.

And they wonder why so many are killed on farms. At least he had a cover on the pto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

davidk1394 wrote: »
    And they wonder why so many are killed on farms. At least he had a cover on the pto
    In fairness, is there any excuse for not having a cover on a pto shaft?

It's only 60 euro or so for a basic one the last time I checked. That really does my head in:(

When has the tags to be sent by, have promised to help FIL, and since he hasn't shouted, it's ......... On the long finger

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    When has the tags to be sent by, have promised to help FIL, and since he hasn't shouted, it's ......... On the long finger

Is it a month you're supposed to return them in? I told Dad it was two weeks though because they'd still be in the window looking at me otherwise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Letter out for herd test today will be some crack with the cattle out

anyone with an appeal in with the dept should read the farming indo today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Clear herd test TG. Got the replacement tags and the geo tags the day of the test. Managed to do all these while they were down so hopefully wouldn't have them home again until weaning them. Glad to have the herd test over as alot of lads have unfortunately gone down around us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

Didn't get any paper today. Whats the story with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Grueller wrote: »
    Didn't get any paper today. Whats the story with it?
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/departments-appeals-process-thrown-open-after-landmark-inspection-case/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Any reason Miname pulled plug?

Any reason Miname pulled plug?

Unwritten rule of the forum is that we don't discuss why members closed accounts. Hopefully he'll be back :)

But what the hell went on in Monaghan today??? Shooting cattle?!
    https://www.facebook.com/irishselfhelpzone/photos/pcb.627291230760995/627288090761309/?type=3

WTF happened there. I am sure the day was bad enough for the farmer involved without that happening

• Advertisement

Unwritten rule of the forum is that we don't discuss why members closed accounts. Hopefully he'll be back :)

But what the hell went on in Monaghan today??? Shooting cattle?!
    https://www.facebook.com/irishselfhelpzone/photos/pcb.627291230760995/627288090761309/?type=3

Is that to do with the angel dust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Is that to do with the angel dust?

I was wondering the same. Seems a bizarre situation on the face of it.

I thought the angel dust case was not in carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If it happened (no signs yet of corroborative evidence yet) it would not be the first time.

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133523

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If it happened (no signs yet of corroborative evidence yet) it would not be the first time.

That's from 2008??

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Department came in to a farm near us where animals hadn't been tagged or tested for three years. They tagged and tested animals which were sent to the factory afterwards or sold in mart depending on size. I know a lad who was there to help out. Farmer had lost the control of things. No word of shooting them or anything.
    His herd number was left intact as was his SFP, I hear he hasn't tested since either !!

• Advertisement

I don't know, was wondering if anyone else had heard anything. I'm very suspicious of The Hub, it's very OTT and anything that might help them in their brigade against the banks is sent to them with optional added extras :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Would this look more like a CAB job than receivers?

Willfarman wrote: »
    Would this look more like a CAB job than receivers?

I can't see cab being involved in a bank row, remember cab have a very narrow remit to repossess goods gained through criminal activity. Have never heard of them after cattle before. I'd say it would be too much bother for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Hard to see how a receiver is gaining any monetary value out of this craic. Might just as well left them if they're wild as that.. Someone would get them in sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Willfarman wrote: »
    Hard to see how a receiver is gaining any monetary value out of this craic. Might just as well left them if they're wild as that.. Someone would get them in sometime.

Total disgrace...... A few years when we had TB... A number of calves went down.... They wanted to shoot the calves in the calf house..... We told em work away but we couldn't guarantee that we wouldn't shoot them first before they got to the calves....

The calves were taken away alive to a factory/abbatoir to be slaughtered.... Which is the way it should be done....

This is a total disgrace...... Why this stuff isn't highlighted more amazes me.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement