Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

At least the weather isn't affecting the veg garden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Kovu wrote: »
    Very nice. Is the chard difficult to grow.

Base price wrote: »
    Very nice. Is the chard difficult to grow.

Very easy. A few didn't take though so I replanted and the second ones came up. First time planting it so am a bit unsure of regrowth so don't want to take too many stalks off. Have about 20 plants though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

My '99 carolla passed its NCT at second attempt. Went to see what needed doing first. Got anti-roll bar links (I think) on front and two new tyres on front and swapped front ones to back. Prob cost less than €200.
    Hard to kill dem carollas. New ones not near as sturdy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Peas started today, beetroot started yesterday.
    And the two piglets are happily roaming around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Happy looking piggys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Feck this dull weather, finally ran out of hot water as solar panels not getting enough sun. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

_Brian wrote: »
    Feck this dull weather, finally ran out of hot water as solar panels not getting enough sun. :(
    Same as that, hopefully today will be better.
    Had a guy down your neck shear yesterday for me (have them in a few days), he was on Meath border most of the day & was a great day, back home was the opposite.
    We could be in bad location for solar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Farrell wrote: »
    Same as that, hopefully today will be better.
    Had a guy down your neck shear yesterday for me (have them in a few days), he was on Meath border most of the day & was a great day, back home was the opposite.
    We could be in bad location for solar

We have flat panels in for last 9 years and only need to supplement them the odd time, but never before in July !!
    Rank wet night last night so was nice to have heating on for an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

My '99 carolla passed its NCT at second attempt. Went to see what needed doing first. Got anti-roll bar links (I think) on front and two new tyres on front and swapped front ones to back. Prob cost less than €200.
    Hard to kill dem carollas. New ones not near as sturdy

They are some machine. is yours the 1.3 or the 1.4 engine? The 1.3 engines are indestructable.

They are some machine. is yours the 1.3 or the 1.4 engine? The 1.3 engines are indestructable.

It 2 litre diesel. €710 tax:( Could be seen driving over fields, transporting meal, calves etc. Only doing about 15k miles a year but lot of short runs. Only 260k on now. Have 10 years and no abnormal trouble. Only fault is she low to ground even without 200 kg in back.

Had 405 before that and boards not have enough room to list what go wrong on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Don't know anything about them.
    Any value over there in a Jcb 2cx at present?

Don't know anything about them.
    Any value over there in a Jcb 2cx at present?

They can be got alright, 2nd hand market strong but youd need to look around. why a 2cx and not 3cx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

They can be got alright, 2nd hand market strong but youd need to look around. why a 2cx and not 3cx?

Handier for feeding cattle, cleaning sheds etc. Airmaster model not streetmaster. I already have a 360 track digger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

My teen pregnancy bbxfr heifer threw out a premature rotten calf this morning. Put her with a different bundle of cows last week and she must have got a puck when they were sorting out the pecking order. Sickened.

My teen pregnancy bbxfr heifer threw out a premature rotten calf this morning. Put her with a different bundle of cows last week and she must have got a puck when they were sorting out the pecking order. Sickened.

Crap one....how old is she now? Will you give her any wash out or antibiotic?

Flies are mental here today, so I'm covered in tar spray from trying to do the cows teats. I'd be as well off standing in the field with them now as I stink like a road.
    Ye know the cuts cows get at the corner of their eyes from flies, is there anything for that? I ended up having to half hug the cows head with tar spray cupped in my hand so I could smear it all over round her eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Flies are mental here today, so I'm covered in tar spray from trying to do the cows teats. I'd be as well off standing in the field with them now as I stink like a road.
    Ye know the cuts cows get at the corner of their eyes from flies, is there anything for that? I ended up having to half hug the cows head with tar spray cupped in my hand so I could smear it all over round her eye.

Lambda Cyhalotrin ear tags. Can be bought from the US I think they're called Saber extra.
    The a.i. is also used as an insecticide on crops. A good 4mts coverage.

Down side is they're banned in EU...

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »
    Lambda Cyhalotrin ear tags. Can be bought from the US I think they're called Saber extra.
    The a.i. is also used as an insecticide on crops. A good 4mts coverage.

Down side is they're banned in EU...

Be grand, I'll just move the cows out of the EU :P

17 months. Ya I'll get stuff for her tomorrow. She isint any worse for wear after it but a sickener all the same.

I just ignore stupid regulation like that...they couldn't agree a withdrawal period so decided that it was easier to ban. Lazy bast*rds.

If they had to come down to farm level and inject an animal into the eye to save them from going blind from ruptured eyeballs, it might sharpen their endeavors...

17 months. Ya I'll get stuff for her tomorrow. She isint any worse for wear after it but a sickener all the same.

Definitely a pain in the hole for you after you picking up on it and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭99nsr125

How far along was she ?

As you call it a teen pregnancy, did she fall pregnant by accident.

We were only talking about what the youngest heifer ever in calf here was yesterday, 13/14 months apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Your in your very early 20s single no major attachments to the farm at home decent job here working for a great family good pay you have a good bunch of friends your waiting on word about a course you applied for you get a call today from a friend "packed in the job and going new zealand you in" what would ye do?

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Your in your very early 20s single no major attachments to the farm at home decent job here working for a great family good pay you have a good bunch of friends your waiting on word about a course you applied for you get a call today from a friend "packed in the job and going new zealand you in" what would ye do?

Go.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Go.

Thinking the same meself one of the lads is already listing out the negatives for sport since i mentioned it 2 other lads kinda got half thinking about heading out for silage there after i mentioned it though

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Be sorry in life for something you did

Not for something you didn't do...

Thinking the same meself one of the lads is already listing out the negatives for sport since i mentioned it 2 other lads kinda got half thinking about heading out for silage there after i mentioned it though

For me, if I could knock off a few decades, I'd be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Why silage? Go out and learn how to survive when you are back to barely having a pot to piss in. Unlike this part of the world..

• Advertisement

Say i want to work as a farm manager and eventually a sharemilker in the future which would ye say would be better be tied down for 2 years on the teagasc managers course or go new zealand missourri saudi and canada to milk cows before you come home hopefully with a few pound in the pocket

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Say i want to work as a farm manager and eventually a sharemilker in the future which would ye say would be better be tied down for 2 years on the teagasc managers course or go new zealand missourri saudi and canada to milk cows before you come home hopefully with a few pound in the pocket

Work for someone with attention to details on cows you need to know, anything on a management course re: accounts and stuff can do night courses.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    How far along was she ?

As you call it a teen pregnancy, did she fall pregnant by accident.

We were only talking about what the youngest heifer ever in calf here was yesterday, 13/14 months apparently
    Not 100% sure but I'd say about 8 months. She wasn't put in calf on purpose anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Try his girlfriend while he's gone ! You don't need to go around the world to get some experiences !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

we used Spotinor & find it good (so far)

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/spotinor (by the way them prices are way off, shop around)

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/flectron-fly-tags
    https://www.agridirect.ie/product/coopers-spoton

orm0nd wrote: »

Thanks for that! I might just see how they are tomorrow before doing anything, am hesitant of using any sort of pour on with incalf cows.
    Just on the topic of young cows above, man I love this cow. I put her photo with calf up before on the photo thread but it did not do her justice. Was helping get her in for AI this morning and I still can't believe she went from a bare 500kg, 16 month old to this bear of a cow at 28 months.

Vl1GeuPh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

orm0nd wrote: »
    I'll second the Spotinor , find it very effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Co Fermanagh here you come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Thanks for that! I might just see how they are tomorrow before doing anything, am hesitant of using any sort of pour on with incalf cows.
    Just on the topic of young cows above, man I love this cow. I put her photo with calf up before on the photo thread but it did not do her justice. Was helping get her in for AI this morning and I still can't believe she went from a bare 500kg, 16 month old to this bear of a cow at 28 months.

Vl1GeuPh.jpg

Why would you be hesitant using fly pour on on pregnant cows? Use spot on or cheapest equivalent here. Never had a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'll second the Spotinor , find it very effective.

no flies on you Bullocks :D:D

• Advertisement

I have just completed the novena of relighting the aga cooker. Last time I lit it it lit on the first match. About 20 matches and a few hail marys later and she's off

whelan2 wrote: »
    Why would you be hesitant using fly pour on on pregnant cows? Use spot on or cheapest equivalent here. Never had a problem

I had one bad experience where a cow aborted after I used pour on on her. Prob nothing at all to do with the pour on but I still don't like putting it on them if incalf!

I have just completed the novena of relighting the aga cooker. Last time I lit it it lit on the first match. About 20 matches and a few hail marys later and she's off

Welcome home. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves and all as it should be on farm.
    Weather was brilliant while you were away.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I had one bad experience where a cow aborted after I used pour on on her. Prob nothing at all to do with the pour on but I still don't like putting it on them if incalf!

I've used it for years on incalf cows and heifers without a problem. I'm always conscious though every time I run an incalf cow up a crush that could potentially be harming her. Particularly the few cows that don't like being handled.
    There's few things I hate more than a cow slipping a calf. You're left wondering why and is it the start of something serious. Thankfully it's an isolated occurrence.
    I think the circular feeders were a nightmare from that point of view.

Im in my late 20s and i curse the fact i never travelled. Ive a kid, mortgage etc and ive seen **** all of the world. Go and do it now whilst you still can. Make some money and then come back and do the teagasc course of that where you want to go.

Welcome home. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves and all as it should be on farm.
    Weather was brilliant while you were away.:rolleyes:
    Seems to have been very little growth in the last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I think the circular feeders were a nightmare from that point of view.

How so?

Seems to have been very little growth in the last week

Growth was grand it's just i left a few heifers up with you while you were away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Up in Norn Iron for a wedding. Was planning a few scoops tonight, but not sure about the local.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Up in Norn Iron for a wedding. Was planning a few scoops tonight, but not sure about the local.... :D

Ask for Gerry, they will look after you ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement