Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

tanko wrote: »
    Isn't the number of children with asthma increasing being blamed on a lack of fresh air in moden houses which are too well insulated.

hmmm, Is that actually proven? I am doubtful about it... :confused:

Sure isn't indoor plumbing that the cause of the increase in crime over the last century.
    Crime has gone up consistently over the last 100 years - and what else has gone up - yep, more houses getting indoor plumbing.... co-incidence... I think not... :D

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

hmmm, Is that actually proven? I am doubtful about it... :confused:

Sure isn't indoor plumbing that the cause of the increase in crime over the last century.
    Crime has gone up consistently over the last 100 years - and what else has gone up - yep, more houses getting indoor plumbing.... co-incidence... I think not... :D

;)

Spurious correlations? :D

cheese.bedsheets.0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Kovu wrote: »
    Spurious correlations? :D

cheese.bedsheets.0.png

lies, damn lies, and statistics!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

tanko wrote: »
    Isn't the number of children with asthma increasing being blamed on a lack of fresh air in moden houses which are too well insulated.
    I've 2 asthmatic children and live in a house that you can actually see the floor covering in the bathroom lift on a stormy night, so I think draughts are aplenty! House is 200+ years old! And looks every day of it.

On a similar topic: for the first 3 Christmases of my eldest girl's life we ended up in Casualty. She fell down the stairs (God knows how as she was hardly able to crawl, and the gate was in place) that was Christmas Day evening - black eyes and squished nose. Next year on Christmas Eve she plastered herself against the corner of a bookshelf - black eyes and the following year Stephen's afternoon she fell and broke her arm playing football with her grandfather.
    Casualty at that time of the year is a sight to behold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Quick question for those sending cattle to the factory.

I got the cheque this morning for 2 cows and there is a column marked Fluke and the result for both cows is nil.

Does this mean that both livers were fluke-free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I got the cheque this morning for 2 cows and there is a column marked Fluke and the result for both cows is nil.

Any I send to bandon are either a for active c for cured or nil which I assume was none there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

yes

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Just finished up planting 2,600-ish kale plants.
    Some craic now in sept-oct!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Boyfriend woke up at around 4am and ran to the window. He phoned his dad and said a tractor and low loader had gone flying into the neighbours farm (who happen to be on holidays). Out he flies,into the jeep and down the road to see what was going on. He came back 5 minutes later. Turns out it was the milk lorry! I nearly killed him for waking me up over nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Jaysus, whose cornflakes did i p*ss on?

I just got notified of a cross compliance inspection on thursday:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

one of the calves has gone down with suspected ecoli again. Vet was out. Left stuff for me but kinda gave me the impression it doesn't look good. The fact he wouldn't charge me makes me think there's little hope. His parting words were where's there's life there's hope.

Keep thinking I should have done or noticed something sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Jaysus, whose cornflakes did i p*ss on?

I just got notified of a cross compliance inspection on thursday:mad:

Not mine, I'm a cocopops man!

Reggie. wrote: »
    one of the calves has gone down with suspected ecoli again. Vet was out. Left stuff for me but kinda gave me the impression it doesn't look good. The fact he wouldn't charge me makes me think there's little hope. His parting words were where's there's life there's hope.

Ah crud. Sorry to hear that Reg. Don't be kicking yourself over it, it's something that anyone can miss as it sets in so quickly. Never give up hope though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

he needs fluids , is he on a iv drip ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Probably not. Ecoli comes so quick its hard to catch in time. Don't beat yourself up over this one

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    he needs fluids , is he on a iv drip ?

Vet said he gave him all he could this am. On duty today so not around today. Nothing more can be done till the morning anyways till the next round of injections according to the vet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

I lost a 14 month old heifer with Meningitis last week, saw her at 3pm one day not a bother on her, the next morning she was in a drain completely blind and couldn't stand up, eat or drink when I took her out. Treated her for three days with no improvement and decided to put her out of her misery.
    I keep thinking if I'd looked at her that night would I have saved her but as my vet said "there's no point beating yourself up like that".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

one of the calves has gone down with suspected ecoli again. Vet was out.....The fact he wouldn't charge me makes me think there's little hope.

God you have a great vet there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

These things happen with calves, they can be a tricky game. You can't be with them 24/7. Hope for the best and that the rest stay healthy.

Muckit wrote: »
    God you have a great vet there.

He's a neighbour that is a vet about 50 years so knows all the tricks. I always tip the grandson a few euro when he is with him on a callout. Firm believer in karma. Hoping it will smile on me in the coming days

• Advertisement

AP2014 wrote: »
    These things happen with calves, they can be a tricky game. You can't be with them 24/7. Hope for the best and that the rest stay healthy.

The rest thankfully are flying ahead and not a bother. This fella was fine one week and a little off for a few days only to be fine again. That is till he nose dived yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

AP2014 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

KatW4 wrote: »
    Boyfriend woke up at around 4am and ran to the window. He phoned his dad and said a tractor and low loader had gone flying into the neighbours farm (who happen to be on holidays). Out he flies,into the jeep and down the road to see what was going on. He came back 5 minutes later. Turns out it was the milk lorry! I nearly killed him for waking me up over nothing!

Can't beat good neighbours

Vet said he gave him all he could this am. On duty today so not around today. Nothing more can be done till the morning anyways till the next round of injections according to the vet

you can do no more ,

good luck with him

sorry if this is posted already

any shortish female with own teeth that knows her cows available on 25th sept.

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/weddingtransport-wanted/wedding-partner/9829017

orm0nd wrote: »
    sorry if this is posted already

any shortish female with own teeth that knows her cows available on 25th sept.

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/weddingtransport-wanted/wedding-partner/9829017

I'm too tall :(
    Similar happened me before though, was at a horse sale chatting away to people and one lad I'd just met asked if I'd go to a wedding with him the following week as he was short a partner for it. Great night out! Possibly should have mentioned the tattoos to him before he seen me in a dress though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dried off some cows this evening, when dosing them we normally stop them 1 by one in crush gate and use dosing hook. Didnt catch any of them in the gate , did them all through the side of the crush , took a fraction of the time and no cursing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    dried off some cows this evening, when dosing them we normally stop them 1 by one in crush gate and use dosing hook. Didnt catch any of them in the gate , did them all through the side of the crush , took a fraction of the time and no cursing

would you not give them a bolus when drying off? find it a good job here the last few years

visatorro wrote: »
    would you not give them a bolus when drying off? find it a good job here the last few years
    whats the bolus for? did them with albex there and will do them with with zanil at calving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

just a top up of minerals

• Advertisement

visatorro wrote: »
    just a top up of minerals
    the mayo health care one?

Oo-er matron ;)

Leitrim make the top ten in something. Woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Oo-er matron ;)

Leitrim make the top ten in something. Woohoo!

We are very respectable here in Galway .
    I wish I was interviewed for that poll ! Could have skewed the results a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

Is it bad to be at number 1....!!

MsGiggles wrote: »
    Is it bad to be at number 1....!!

No , that's the best place to be . Although I wouldn't like to be stuck in a cattle grid too long with all them randy people in the county !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

whelan2 wrote: »

How do you keep their heads up? My bitches would drop the head and spit it all out.

Bullocks wrote: »
    No , that's the best place to be . Although I wouldn't like to be stuck in a cattle grid too long with all them randy people in the county !

Well played B ! Could I count on you to try and save me !?!?!

Well played B ! Could I count on you to try and save me !?!?!

Maybe , I would have to get under the leg to see what I could do !

Maybe , I would have to get under the leg to see what I could do !

Oh no bother there is a 2 foot clearance there !!

• Advertisement

Oh no bother there is a 2 foot clearance there !!

I'd have to go on my back to work it so !

I'd have to go on my back to work it so !

Sure we're used to that craic down here in number 1 county !

Sure we're used to that craic down here in number 1 county !

It would be an education for me to travel I'd say

It would be an education for me to travel I'd say

You never know unless you go !

PS...how long before ya get here, my leg can't hack a full night trapped !!;)

You never know unless you go !

PS...how long before ya get here, my leg can't hack a full night trapped !!;)

I can hardly find my way out of the village not to mind find somewhere in the southern hemisphere, start chewing it off before the badgers get you !

hinAw.gif

• Advertisement

hinAw.gif

Point taken ! I'll start chewing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Getting hot in here now..... And it ain't even Saturday night :-)

hinAw.gif

So we have a voyeur from the 3rd most randy county

What's all this talk of nibbling legs

Getting hot in here now..... And it ain't even Saturday night :-)

It's hot alright , I'm down to my string vest and straw hat

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement