Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Kovu wrote: »
    Does she mind you calling her that? :D
    Great minds think alike, I thought the very same thing :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Great minds think alike, I thought the very same thing :eek:

The two of you are terrible :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    The two of you are terrible :P

Must comment to avoid temptation of ninja edit.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

What are the ones that have the green powder in them?

Several of the puffball fungi. The giant puffball, we used to call Bulls Farts, as kids :-)

Must comment to avoid temptation of ninja edit.... :(

No morals you. Too much coke I reckon

Several of the puffball fungi. The giant puffball, we used to call Bulls Farts, as kids :-)

Not going to kill me if I breathe the powder in, are they?
    No morals you. Too much coke I reckon

Nah, I'm a pepsi girl so I am ;)

Not going to kill me if I breathe the powder in, are they?

Kill looks a bit final. It couldn't be good for you, breathing in the spores like that. They might grow and you'd turn into a fun guy. :-)

Kill looks a bit final. It couldn't be good for you, breathing in the spores like that. They might grow and you'd turn into a fun guy. :-)

Get.

Out.

We don't have much room for such jokes.

Feel like banging my head off a wall today.

Talking to the uncle the other day explaining the tedder to him about better DM and less bales per acre...the usual stuff. All sorted for tedding this morning as the mower just dropping the grass.

I arrived in the field as planned and uncle walked up to me. Told me he didn't want it tedded at the last minute. The reason was and I quote "it causes less bales per acre sure it's more bales I want"

Cue 10 mins of trying to explan to him that the volume of grass was the same only less bales overall. He still didn't get it. Some days it's an uphill battle :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

reggie , hows the calf?

whelan2 wrote: »
    reggie , hows the calf?

Still there. Still down and weak but seems to be attempting to get up at times as he might be a foot or so from where I last seen him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cross compliance inspection finished. Phew....

A few small problems with the register but i asked him had i done it right first and he showed me the right way.

There really should be some training in form filling from the Dept:(

Cross compliance inspection finished. Phew....

A few small problems with the register but i asked him had i done it right first and he showed me the right way.

There really should be some training in form filling from the Dept:(
    Was there a reason for the inspection. Sitting here in hotel bar reading the journal and having a pint☺

Was there a reason for the inspection. Sitting here in hotel bar reading the journal and having a pint☺

Mostly sheep. Tags and movement documents. Bringing cows. Journal and Miller for after a bite to eat.

On a plus for inspections, really helps keep my blood sugars under control:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Some stagger into the parlour this evening

• Advertisement

Jb1989 wrote: »

Off for the night

Once it ain't a fall into the pit :)

Off for the night

Aw well in that case I meant 'swagger' :p

Once it ain't a fall into the pit :)

O the horrors of it

Mostly sheep. Tags and movement documents. Bringing cows now. Journal and Miller for after a bite to eat.

On a plus for inspections, really helps keep my blood sugars under control:-(
    Read your post wrong.

I was flagged due to late registrations. Found out a lot from the guy and a few others i was talking to in the last few days. Late regs, ordering 2 tags for an animal together, problems with movements dockets and all that stuff will flag you as a potential problem. The more of each you have and the length of time since last inspections, the higher the flags will fly.

Had a few late regs last year after the shed went in the storm and this year again due to my father in hospital so i must have had more flags than the opening ceremony of the olympics:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Discovered this morning a young cow missing BOTH tags. She has already gone through a set, what the hell she gets up to, but I've sent off for one tag today and will wait a week or so before looking for the other. Hope no-one notices her until I get at least one in. She's within 2/3 weeks of calving and I hate the thought of fighting with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

KatyMac wrote: »
    Discovered this morning a young cow missing BOTH tags. She has already gone through a set, what the hell she gets up to, but I've sent off for one tag today and will wait a week or so before looking for the other. Hope no-one notices her until I get at least one in. She's within 2/3 weeks of calving and I hate the thought of fighting with her.

I'd order one tag for her and tag her after she calves and wouldn't order the second one for a few months.

I order the tags as I need them . Ordered a pair yesterday for a header going to the Mart next week. She has 1 tag but ordered 2 in case I fook up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I order the tags as I need them . Ordered a pair yesterday for a header going to the Mart next week. She has 1 tag but ordered 2 in case I fook up

Halter her before you try to tag her. Will restrict her range of movement.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Halter her before you try to tag her. Will restrict her range of movement.

She has a big split in her ear

Had one quiet doll here who had no tags in her for the guts of six months. Before we let her out I sneaked up behind her in the shed and tagged both her ears- using the holes from before as they hadn't ripped out. Well, she must have been rightly affronted at getting earrings back in, she gave me a dunt up the arse as I went out over the barrier. And this was a cow that never pucked in her life! :D:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Had one quiet doll here who had no tags in her for the guts of six months. Before we let her out I sneaked up behind her in the shed and tagged both her ears- using the holes from before as they hadn't ripped out. Well, she must have been rightly affronted at getting earrings back in, she gave me a dunt up the arse as I went out over the barrier. And this was a cow that never pucked in her life! :D:pac:

Jaysus Kovu get her up the crush next time. You are taking crazy chances there and she could have done you a serious injury or worse.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Jaysus Kovu get her up the crush next time. You are taking crazy chances there and she could have done you a serious injury or worse.

Nope, she's trustable. Her mother was the same. Big wally of a cow that just likes a scratch.

Won't go up the crush too handy anyhow, she remembers two sections... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

A neighbour of mine got 48 hours notice of a dept inspection recently to check his animals tags, his herd register and blue cards.
    He only had two animals missing one tag and was give a month to replace them.
    He sent back a form saying he had replaced the tags, a few days later he was given 24 hours notice of another inspection to check the two animals again.
    Apparently 10% of farmers get this second inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Got insurance renewal today up €160 quid, nearly had a cornory on the spot, will be shopping around tomorrow.
    Reading the herd test tomorrow, fingers crossed, decided to scan the cows while I have them in, been hearing various stories of problems with bulls. Decided not to look too close at the animals today in case I starting seeing lumps :eek:

Nothing I can do about it now anyway;)

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Got insurance renewal today up €160 quid, nearly had a cornory on the spot, will be shopping around tomorrow.
    Reading the herd test tomorrow, fingers crossed, decided to scan the cows while I have them in, been hearing various stories of problems with bulls. Decided not to look too close at the animals today in case I starting seeing lumps :eek:

Nothing I can do about it now anyway;)

Best of luck mac

Were u away listening to tunes again all evening Reggie

Were u away listening to tunes again all evening Reggie

No unloading new tractors for the mullingar show and getting ready for a family wedding tomorrow. Last minute panics and all that

No unloading new tractors for the mullingar show and getting ready for a family wedding tomorrow. Last minute panics and all that

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Is it a good show, was thinking of heading up to it, is there much cattle or sheep?

Enjoy the wedding

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Is it a good show, was thinking of heading up to it, is there much cattle or sheep?

Enjoy the wedding

Truth be told it's been a while since I was at it. We usually arrive early with the tractors head off as we have work to do and then collect the tractors later that evening after the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Truth be told it's been a while since I was at it. We usually arrive early with the tractors head off as we have work to do and then collect the tractors later that evening after the show.

When is tullamore on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

When is tullamore on??

The 9th of August

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ameila

Thought if you order 2 tags the same it would trigger an inspection? 😯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I said wrote: »
    The 9th of August

will lakhill be making another attempt?

Ameila wrote: »
    Thought if you order 2 tags the same it would trigger an inspection? 😯

Will see. If I make a mess up with putting the one tag in at least I will have the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

last day in work today. dunno if its good or bad!!

ganmo wrote: »
    will lakhill be making another attempt?

More than likely although most of Westmeath will be heading to croker that day

More than likely although most of Westmeath will be heading to croker that day

I've a feeling WH will see enough of Croker this Sunday to last them a long time!

Great discussion on joe finnegan regarding them feisty Leitrim people.
    Hilarious 10 minutes,
    Best bit about, the woman who met a lad at a dance, took him home expecting a big surprise, he was getting 'togged' out beside the bed, says she 'who you gonna satisfy with that wee thing'
    Says he 'meself ;)'

• Advertisement

I've a feeling WH will see enough of Croker this Sunday to last them a long time!

Aye although Offaly will need a map to find it judging by the way things are gone downhill in both codes

Aye although Offaly will need a map to find it judging by the way things are gone downhill in both codes

I was in it enough times in my life in September to never forget.
    But that's beside the point. It has nothing to do with anything, were I from Offaly, Kerry, or Donegal, I'd still have the same thoughts on the subject.
    Is my opinion any less valid? Should I patronise you or bull**** you by saying ......... Yeah, ye have a great chance?
    Do you really see WH playing in Croke pk on Aug 9th? I think it's a Hurling weekend off the top of my head without looking it up.

heard there that our slurry contractors wife passed away yesterday after being attacked by a freshly calved cow, rest in peace, be careful out there

anyone else's boards playing up?

I was in it enough times in my life in September to never forget.
    But that's beside the point. It has nothing to do with anything, were I from Offaly, Kerry, or Donegal, I'd still have the same thoughts on the subject.
    Is my opinion any less valid? Should I patronise you or bull**** you by saying ......... Yeah, ye have a great chance?
    Do you really see WH playing in Croke pk on Aug 9th? I think it's a Hurling weekend off the top of my head without looking it up.

Wires crossed I was on about the Mullingar show this Sunday and the match where as the 9th is tullamore show.
    And no I'm not expecting any miracles on Sunday and wether your patronising or not I couldn't give a fiddlers fcuk what you think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement