Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Bought this instead. £600 :)

A feckin golf!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

A feckin golf!!

Says the buck in a fiat....

Says the buck in a fiat....

Ah she's lovely in fairness!

Have you put a head gasket in it yet??

Have you put a head gasket in it yet??

Have not!!! Bit of a holy box though..... Vroom Vroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

di you buy that of a lad near me?

whelan2 wrote: »
    di you buy that of a lad near me?

Nah, car dealer near Port Tunnel.

Nah, car dealer near Port Tunnel.
    lad i know had a similar one bought it a few years ago for 100 euro, head gasket went a few weeks ago, was a very reliable car

lad i know had a similar one bought it a few years ago for 100 euro, head gasket went a few weeks ago, was a very reliable car

Ive yet to see one that the head gasket hasnt gone in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ive yet to see one that the head gasket hasnt gone in

not a bit job on them , easy to work on

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    not a bit job on them , easy to work on

Id rather buy a starlet or corolla and do nothing except put petrol in lol

Id rather buy a starlet or corolla and do nothing except put petrol in lol

& engine oil them vvti engines like their wee drop

The 4e in the e10 corolla and ep80 & ep90 starlet are non vvti, thats the later e11 corollas up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

only a small minority of the very first ones suffer from oil consumption it was a valve stem seal issue and was completely fixed by 2002, the 1.8 vvti on the other hand was always a poor enough engine! strangely enough the performance 1.8vvtli didn't get any of it's sister engine's problems. I had a 1.4vvti corolla for a good long time was one of the nippiest 1.4's I ever drove! if ya put the intake mani, throttle body and injectors from a 1.8 onto them they make about 120bhp.
    The old 4efe engine from the corolla/starlet was some job though as mentioned I'm picking up a jap starlet which has the jdm 4efe in a few weeks time they're a nice bit different to the European model they share the same internals and head as the gt turbo starlets only they have higher compression being n/a and obviously no turbo ;) there's video's on youtube of a stripped out 700kg one going out by a glanza turbo :P

only a small minority of the very first ones suffer from oil consumption it was a valve stem seal issue and was completely fixed by 2002, the 1.8 vvti on the other hand was always a poor enough engine! strangely enough the performance 1.8vvtli didn't get any of it's sister engine's problems. I had a 1.4vvti corolla for a good long time was one of the nippiest 1.4's I ever drove! if ya put the intake mani, throttle body and injectors from a 1.8 onto them they make about 120bhp.
    The old 4efe engine from the corolla/starlet was some job though as mentioned I'm picking up a jap starlet which has the jdm 4efe in a few weeks time they're a nice bit different to the European model they share the same internals and head as the gt turbo starlets only they have higher compression being n/a and obviously no turbo ;) there's video's on youtube of a stripped out 700kg one going out by a glanza turbo :P

we have a 1L yaris with over 200k Miles and it does nt burn one drop of oil between services ( maybe it does but the lassie that drives it doesnt dip it too often :rolleyes: )

son had a corolla & you need shares in duckhams to fulfil it's thirst

Ay fuel consumption varies greatly depending on how you drive them and they aren't the most economical anyways but then again toyota's never were the best in this field! a 1.4 golf or polo will generally be a fair bit easier on juice but thats offset by the fact that the engines are very dead in themselves and barely put out 70bhp! I'd go with a 1.0 polo over the 1.4's purely because the performance difference isn't nearly as big as one would imagine and they're better again on petrol! On them corolla's its important to have a good clean free flowing air filter if the one on your son's is old and a bit worse for wear it might explain the fuel use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ay fuel consumption varies greatly depending on how you drive them and they aren't the most economical anyways but then again toyota's never were the best in this field! a 1.4 golf or polo will generally be a fair bit easier on juice but thats offset by the fact that the engines are very dead in themselves and barely put out 70bhp! I'd go with a 1.0 polo over the 1.4's purely because the performance difference isn't nearly as big as one would imagine and they're better again on petrol! On them corolla's its important to have a good clean free flowing air filter if the one on your son's is old and a bit worse for wear it might explain the fuel use.

had one of them 1.4 polo engines in a fabia,grand motor was gettin 40+mpg out of it

Ya they're a great engine on petrol alright and grand and simple to maintain/fix. They're not fit for abuse like the jap engines though and not near as lively either but then again that doesn't bother normal mature people :P

You must be on toc??

I am surely, although it's been a fair while since I've been on it now that ya mention it! Anyways this is the video of the little n/a jap starlet and the glanza turbo I was on about! By the way both cars are owned by the same fella and he runs the uk starlet club website so there's no youtube trickery going on here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDxE_DNIRws&list=FLqJ_dSV5RBkFjScDW1gEMCQ&index=6
    and with that I better stop with the car chat before the mods start wondering whats wrong with me :D Although auld toyota's and irish farming go hand in hand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

One for the tech heads out there.
    We have a internet connection in the farm office with an ethernet cable running to the student house in the yard from the router in the office. To make this ethernet cable in the house into wifi do you simply buy a cheap router and bobs your uncle/ get one from bt the provider and do i need any passwords etc to add the second router to the line so to speak? something else needed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Blackgrass wrote: »
    We have a internet connection in the farm office with an ethernet cable running to the student house in the yard from the router in the office. To make this ethernet cable in the house into wifi do you simply buy a cheap router and bobs your uncle/ get one from bt the provider and do i need any passwords etc to add the second router to the line so to speak? something else needed?

You just need an access point in the student house to put on the end of that ethernet cable. Providing the students have wireless laptops and devices which I presume they do.

Passwords etc is up to yourself.

If one bit of the house is within the range of wifi of the office(one plug socket is enough) you can get wifi boosters that will send it around the house, no extra passwords required

If ya got two or three boosters ya could send it around the yard. Lad I know did it and he has a booster on each gable.

If ya got two or three boosters ya could send it around the yard. Lad I know did it and he has a booster on each gable.

Bought a booster here. No good with big stone walls in an old house

Ah shyte. We've ours on a window. Does the job.

we use the house power wiring,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-tp-link-500mbps-powerline-wi-fi-triple-kit-a59ng

Ah shyte. We've ours on a window. Does the job.
    brother is a computer nerd and spent a good while trying to sort it out, no harm anyway as the signal doesnt reach daughters bedroom, means she cant be on the internet all night in her bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Any of the Galway lads here on Salthill this evening?
    Great win for the Tribesmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Listened to it on the wireless. Shocking day here, great win alright. 2 northern teams bet now. We might do the double this year.:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Listened to it on the wireless. Shocking day here, great win alright. 2 northern teams bet now. We might do the double this year.:D:D:D

Doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

For those of a certain vintage, I'm off out to see bagatelle, hothouse flowers and bay city rollers. Playing in my local village and I've free tickets. I might not see the whole of the moon but I might see the moons hole. Haha.

For those of a certain vintage, I'm off out to see bagatelle, hothouse flowers and bay city rollers. Playing in my local village and I've free tickets. I might not see the whole of the moon but I might see the moons hole. Haha.
    love bagatelle

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Careful now :-)

You're mixing up your Hothouse Flowers and Waterboys :-)

My advice to you at this stage now is........

Don't Go :-)

• Advertisement

You're mixing up your Hothouse Flowers and Waterboys :-)

My advice to you at this stage now is........

Don't Go :-)

Be Good!!

Was just on agriland readin the article on the farmers charter, I was thinking that there would be some info on it...nope all it says is that there is an agreement...not even a link to the proper info

Stinks of copy and pasting from a press release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Picture of your Tartan Flairs, or we ALL call bullskit!

Starting out contracting

Starting out contracting
    kids here are all learning to drive in pajero jeep in field. Eldest lad is 14 , no interest in machinery but knows every cows number etc- like me- he is grand at driving, daughter is 11 and the best of the 3 of them, youngest lad is 7 and is a lunatic , foot on the accelerator most of the time, cant see over steering wheel

• Advertisement

kids here are all learning to drive in pajero jeep in field. Eldest lad is 14 , no interest in machinery but knows every cows number etc- like me- he is grand at driving, daughter is 11 and the best of the 3 of them, youngest lad is 7 and is a lunatic , foot on the accelerator most of the time, cant see over steering wheel

He can operate the mini digger already. Cracked about machinery. I brought him to an auction this morning. Was better than bringing him to a toy shop

Miserable looking night in Killarney, but that didn't stop the Kerry lads.
    Poor Cork performance. 15 mins and 25 mins in both halves without scoring.
    Once Kerry got the goal, the game fizzled out really.

Miserable looking night in Killarney, but that didn't stop the Kerry lads.
    Poor Cork performance. 15 mins and 25 mins in both halves without scoring.
    Once Kerry got the goal, the game fizzled out really.

Terrible game to watch. Kildare might give cork a run for there money

Terrible game to watch. Kildare might give cork a run for there money

Massive opportunity for the lillywhites. If they're good enough. Where is the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Yup. Was a tough watch but Derry have dragged down better than us this yr to their level. Ref was horrid bad. Gave us a lot soft. Happy to be in last 12. Thats 3 from 3 in champ against Derry. Last two times we won all ireland......here's hoping!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Traffic was a hoor this evening between arts festival and that match it took us an hour to get into town and everywhere packed . We retired to the local now but I won't stick the crowd in here too long either !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Thanks for info, about 40m away as the crow flies, will look up a wi-fi booster as seems most likely plug-n-play or is wap device as simple as plug on cable bob's your uncle?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Thanks for info, about 40m away as the crow flies, will look up a wi-fi booster as seems most likely plug-n-play or is wap device as simple as plug on cable bob's your uncle?.

If you already have an Ethernet cable ran you should be able to pick up a router from the likes of netgear that you just plug in to the Ethernet cable and set up the passwords etc.

The time we got the new modem and router here there was another one there that looks the exact same but is purely a router and about half the price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

One of the new arrivals checking out F&F :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Base price wrote: »
    One of the new arrivals checking out F&F :)

I expect your next post to be along the lines of

fwGVGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGDEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL,,,,,,,,,,,.b//////////////////////////;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    nfxkooooasfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwds vdovc;lkmmmmmmh##

kh.'.[l;plpo''''''''''''''''''''''ppppppppppglkkkeszcx

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement